Iron for the bachelor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iron for the bachelor

Need an iron and ironing board, any recommendations? Don't really want to spend too much but don't want to buy junk that will just have to be replaced either. Thanks for any help!

Check Joe's article out and the comments people wrote under it:

http://dappered.com/2011/08/how-to-iron-the-guys-guide-to-eradicating-wrinkles/

I am in college and got a small ironing board and a Black & Decker iron for easy storage from Bed Bath & Beyond and Sears(?) respectively. I certainly don't know the best route for this stuff, but I know it can be done affordably.

Comment

Thanks for the link! Wow, the people on Amazon really didn't seem to like that iron.

Comment

Yeah I have the Shark Europro and it has bad ratings too, but I have no issues with it either. Just get one with good ratings in your price range. I have to say that a $40 iron has some nice features / benefits compared to a $20, so keep in mind how long you will have it. I've had mine for years.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I did some research on Amazon and bought this iron a few months back: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006ZUHR0

So far, so good!

Comment

also, get a steamer. best investment ever. but I wear suits everyday

Comment

@spartanlaw, now you have a steamer, can you get away without an iron completely? I have been thinking of getting one.

Comment

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Deck...c-Iron/6528826 the old people i know owned one so i too picked one up and this thing is amazing, it get extremely hot in under 3 mins, and its base is like solid iron cuz its definately heavier than most other iron so you dont have to keep going over your shirts 1-2 swipes per area and your golden.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

@ChrisW - I have a steamer too but I only use it on jackets and hard-to-iron fabrics (silk ties, corduroy). I find the steamer "relaxes" the wrinkles but nothing gets a shirt as crisp as an iron. I suppose I would use it on casual shirts but I usually just take those out of the drier hang them up right after.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

@Chrisw: no, you still need an iron. Steamers are best on wool suits (instantly unwrinkles them) and, as Yacko said, other hard to iron things. You'll still need to iron shirts.

Comment

Oh well. Thanks for the info

Comment

Actually, I do get by without an iron by steaming things. Yea, there will still be some wrinkles in dress shirts, but that is why we are all getting sport coats, right? Steamers don't work flawlessly, but I rarely have to be so dressed up that a few small wrinkles are a deal breaker.

Comment

Does it make a difference if you do it while they are damp? I am so bad at ironing. "a few small wrinkles" is the best I can do after 20 minutes with an Iron.

Comment

Never tried it damp, myself. Though the clothes are a bit damp when I am done, of course.

Comment

Thanks for the specific recommendations! Apparently Black and Decker is popular here. I'm going to head to Bed Bath & Beyond with one of their ubiquitous 20% off coupons and see what I can find.

Comment

Working...
                              X