Anyone here ever tailor sweaters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here ever tailor sweaters?

Just curious if anyone has had this done. I've got a 39.5 (M) chest but a 29/30 (S) Waist. Buying Size small sweaters makes it look too tight in the chest so I usually have to buy medium but I've got a lot of extra room in the waist which gives a fatter appearance. Anyone in a similar boat?

I've got the exact same measurements as you do so I'm pretty much in the same boat. I guess it's a good problem to have because those measurements usually indicate that you're in pretty good shape but it can make it really tough to find clothing that fits well. The sleeves on the smalls are always too short for me as well even if the rest fits okay. Unfortunately I've never had a sweater tailored but I do think it is possibly depending on the sweater type/style. I feel like it might be a little expensive to do and I'd be worried if it would turn out okay though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jazzocaster View Post
      I've got the exact same measurements as you do so I'm pretty much in the same boat. I guess it's a good problem to have because those measurements usually indicate that you're in pretty good shape but it can make it really tough to find clothing that fits well.
      Yes definitely first world problems!

Comment

Never had a sweater tailored but J.Crew and J.Crew Factory's slim sweaters are very well fitted. I'm a 40-41 chest and 32 waist and the medium fits me almost as well as a tailored shirt.

Comment

Need a serger or a machine capable of stretch stitches (multi-thread). If the sweater is knit all the way around then it might look weird creating seams, and you'll have to be really careful to make sure those seams are in exactly the right place.

I'm going to try my hand on a couple of my knits so I'll post results.

Comment

Funny, I'm looking to refresh my sweater game and gave my tailor a buzz about whether he could do alterations on them. He was measured, but said it can be done depending on the sweater. Derek has a good post on this subject at PTO http://putthison.com/post/2278253966...sweater-hayden

Comment

@Acousticfoodie

I've had similar problems finding sweaters that fit both in chest and waist when you have a decent taper. I'm a 40.5 C and 33 waist, so far this season the best sweater I can find that fits me is the large BR crew neck sweater. Fits very good in chest and not baggy in the waist. All the other BR sweaters, the v-neck and silk sweater don't fit me so this was a pleasant find!

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=228798012

Comment

@LittleNelly: Hmmm a medium for me in BR merino wool sweaters look pretty baggy, but I'll take a look!

Comment

@accousticfoodie the ones specifically I had luck with are the link I put there. It is a tri blend of wool nylon and rayon not their merino sweaters. most of their sweaters dont fit me either which is weird because their medium stretch poplin shirts fit me greatly.. its my best fit reference. Good luck!

Comment

My tailor had me bring the sweater in to look at it before she said for sure. She ended up doing it with fantastic results. It's a BR cotton vneck that I've had for a while. I figured I'd try a sweater that I wouldn't miss if it didn't work out. She charged me $15 for the body and the sleeves, which is the same she charges for shirts.
                    Countryside Man of Letters

Comment

Working...
                    X