Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MattC
    replied
    I'd agree that the MTM shirts are worth it, if you have the money. I bought one from Ratio and it's fantastic, but recently discovered that I'm essentially the poster child (size wise) for J Crew x-small, so now I go for the Ludlow dress shirts. Yes, it's essentially the same price as the MTM, but they do look better with the Ludlow suit, and they're less of a hassle to get hold of.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    High end dress shirt 180s thread count would probably wrinkle less and be MUCH softer, maybe a bit of a sheen to it. It's kind of like charles tyrwhitt shirts vs similar priced shirts in north america.

The tyrwhitt fabric is just hands down nicer, it's soft to the touch, has a bit of sheen to it on the more flashy fabrics, thicker, doesn't wrinkle as bad etc. My MTM shirts that were made in india and are apparently 2 ply egyptian cotton...suck,they fit great and I got compliments on them but I absolutely hate them and why I did my 8 shirt TM lewin order. The benefit of cheaper shirts if wear them out when you might get sloppy then you won't care if you spill on your shirt but can still dress to impress etc. I had some shirts made with button cuffs just so I didn't have to worry about losing cufflinks and had them made shorter so I can wear them untucked if I need to.

if you go MTM route spend the extra on better fabric 100s minimum I'd say and if they don't list it..probably not good, women pay attention to textures and like soft, if you're married ask your wife to feel a target shirt vs a legit high end one(180s) without saying where they are from.

Leave a comment:

• joedet
    replied
    My best fitting shirt is a $10 dress shirt I found on clearance at Target, after tailoring of course. Like the others said, if you like the shirt go for it!

Leave a comment:

• Jack Lin
    replied
    Thanks everyone for your inputs, I did not know about MTM but will definitely put that into consideration. That being said, I still have a question just regarding upper end dress shirts and dress shirts like target. Are there any reasons (assuming one can afford either) for a person to have both a budget dress shirt (tailored or not?) and an upper end dress shirt (either MTM or tailored nordstrom something like that?)? Thanks alot for all the inputs and I really appreciate the discussion!

Leave a comment:

• enderwiggen
    replied
    I think what would be most important is to take a really good look at the fabric and construction of the shirt. 'Classic' fit shirts are often cheaper than the 'slim' or 'extra slim' shirts. I would try getting one of those that is made with really good fabric and is well constructed and try getting it tailored. Then go out and try (or buy) a similar shirt that is pre-fitted off the rack for around the same cost. See which one would be better in the long run. But once you start getting in the upper price range I agree... M2M is the way to go. It's all about economy in the end. It's like shopping on Amazon. Why pay $20 with free shipping directly from Amazon when you can buy the same thing (still new in packaging) from another retailer for $5 with $3 shipping? Save the $12 by comparing all of your options. But you can only do that after trying them all out.

Leave a comment:

• mister_deez
    replied
    I'm by no means a baller but I pretty much always have to get my shirts tailored now. It makes such a huge difference for me that I've gotten a few $20 shirts that I really liked tailored for $30. Now when you think about it if you buy a $60 shirt and get $30 tailoring you're in the MTM range. If I had to start all over again i'd probably just get $80-$100 MTM shirts to start with. I'd rather have 4-5 shirts that look great and that I wear all the time than 20 shirts that look ok that I have to talk myself into wearing. However, I do have a body shape (very wide shoulders) that is difficult for me to find well-fitting off-the-rack shirts. If you can find an off-the-rack shirt that fits you somewhat like a tailored shirt for <$60 I would go for it.

Leave a comment:

• tomservo
    replied
    shad0w4life pretty much hits the nail on the head. It also has a lot to do with your budget, body type, and priorities. Cost doesn't have a direct relationship with quality, but there is some correlation. Spend what you're comfortable with and try to get stuff that fits well in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    If you like the shirt and it's baggy, have it tailored.

If you can fit the new slim cuts etc(they vary depending on maker) you can avoid tailoring, there's many places eg. Hall and Madden, huge and crye that offer many sizes for trimmer fits.

Now when you get to the $65 range, you could easily go the made to measure route with places like modern tailor but Hall and Madden is probably better quality fabric etc for the price.

or spend a bit more for ration/propercloth if you want made in the USA MTM

Leave a comment:

• Jack Lin
    started a topic What shirts are "worth" tailoring?

What shirts are "worth" tailoring?

Hi guys, new reader of the blog. Read through many posts on Dappered, and had a question about tailoring. The posts on Dappered offer a variety of price range for approved good dress shirts, from the $22.99 Target Ultimate Dress shirts to $65 Trim Fit Nordstrom Dress shirt. I was just wondering does the rule of thumb of tailoring your dress shirts apply to all selections? And how should this be put into consideration of what type of dress shirt I should get? While target dress shirts are more budget friendly, would dress shirts like nordstrom have better cost per wear? Thanks for all inputs!
Working...
X