Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on velvet jackets?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thoughts on velvet jackets?

    For some reason I've really had a velvet blazer on my mind lately. Probably because the holidays are upon us and I think it could be fun to rock one on New Years. This brings up 3 questions...

    1. What do you think of velvet blazers?

    2. If you like them, would you go with navy or maroon (staying away from black as I'm looking to have some fun with it)

    3. Depending on the color you chose, what would you pair with it? black slacks/shoes, white shirt? gray slacks, brown shoes, white shirt? etc.



    Cheers,
    M

    #2
    Originally posted by mdwsta4 View Post
    For some reason I've really had a velvet blazer on my mind lately. Probably because the holidays are upon us and I think it could be fun to rock one on New Years. This brings up 3 questions...

    1. What do you think of velvet blazers?

    2. If you like them, would you go with navy or maroon (staying away from black as I'm looking to have some fun with it)

    3. Depending on the color you chose, what would you pair with it? black slacks/shoes, white shirt? gray slacks, brown shoes, white shirt? etc.



    Cheers,
    M
    I think they're cool, but take that as a grain of salt because I'm pretty square. I'd go with navy purely because it seems more universal.

    Comment


      #3
      they're great and you will definitely be the talk of the party if you wear one.

      Of those 2 colors, I would go with navy. Personally, a black one would be most ideal. Remember, you are wearing velvet, you dont need to to wear some outrageous color. People are going to notice.

      You can wear whatever you want. Dress down with jeans. wear it with chinos. trousers/slacks.

      Comment


        #4
        Since you mentioned those colors, I'm guessing you found the velvet jackets at Macy's? Everyone is different, but those fit me horribly. I could find one that either fit in the chest or the shoulders, but not both. Terribly large shoulders on those jackets. Plus they're synthetic, but I guess velvet from natural fibers is prohibitively expensive. I think its a fun look if you're using quality material and workmanship, but I have yet to see an affordable option out there that works, and when it doesn't work then it just looks cheesey.

        Comment


          #5
          Saks Off Fifth had a bunch of Valentino velvet a couple of months ago. I think they were all marked down to $399 and then all SCs were 40% off so I grabbed a burgundy one at $240 I think. They may still have some left if you have a store near you.

          Comment


            #6
            Both Banana Republic and J. Crew have velvet blazers in black and brown.

            Comment


              #7
              I did not. Haven't actually found one yet, just asking the question. Don't recall the last time I was at a Macy's, but perhaps I'll have to check them out.

              Originally posted by alan View Post
              Since you mentioned those colors, I'm guessing you found the velvet jackets at Macy's? Everyone is different, but those fit me horribly. I could find one that either fit in the chest or the shoulders, but not both. Terribly large shoulders on those jackets. Plus they're synthetic, but I guess velvet from natural fibers is prohibitively expensive. I think its a fun look if you're using quality material and workmanship, but I have yet to see an affordable option out there that works, and when it doesn't work then it just looks cheesey.

              Fred, I'll try to find a Saks near me and look at them.

              Comment


                #8
                Of all the stores listed so far, Saks is virtually guaranteed to have the nicest stuff.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by mdwsta4 View Post
                  For some reason I've really had a velvet blazer on my mind lately. Probably because the holidays are upon us and I think it could be fun to rock one on New Years. This brings up 3 questions...

                  1. What do you think of velvet blazers?

                  2. If you like them, would you go with navy or maroon (staying away from black as I'm looking to have some fun with it)

                  3. Depending on the color you chose, what would you pair with it? black slacks/shoes, white shirt? gray slacks, brown shoes, white shirt? etc.



                  Cheers,
                  M
                  Congrats on an awesome and bold choice. I think it is an awesome look and just like you said, have fun with it. I love the idea of the maroon. I think it will be, for your purposes more versatile. I have a gray one that I wear all the time.

                  I think the maroon would work with both dark denim all the way up to gray or navy slacks. I'd keep the the shoes brown and the shirt and tie choices relatively middle of the road. Playing with the textures of the tie (knit, wool) etc might be a nice way to mix it up.
                  "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I generally dress down velvet blazers...white shirt, dark wash jeans, and black shoes. I would also go with the navy, and try to steer closer to a midnight blue..

                    I have a black one and get a good bit of use out of it...

                    Comment


                      #11
                      If I got a black velvet one, what color shirt (besides white) would go well with it?

                      I have several Christmas parties coming up and I had been thinking about it

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by kevinD View Post
                        If I got a black velvet one, what color shirt (besides white) would go well with it?

                        I have several Christmas parties coming up and I had been thinking about it
                        If you want to dress it down, how about plaid ? I saw a black velvet jacket paired with a red plaid shirt in a store recently and it looked quite decent.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Thanks

                          Comment


                            #14
                            If I was going to wear a velvet jacket, I would go with the burgundy. Why buy velvet and then a subtle color? Seems to defeat the purpose.


                            Side note - the BR black corduroy jacket has a velvety sheen to it. Might be something to try before you spend too much on a velvet jacket and decide you won't wear it.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              No thoughts. I feel like there are better bets. Tweed or Corduroy.
                              42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X