Starting the tie off loose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting the tie off loose

I'm in college. I like to wear a tie occasionally, but rarely tighten it all the way or do up my top button unless I'm dressing up for something. I tend to think ties can be great casual parts of a wardrobe and always get compliments when I go this route.

Here's an example: http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...76525744_n.jpg (I was on vacation and lost a collar stay; forgot to bring extras. Excuse the floppy collar.)

What do you guys think of it?

I think with a sweater or sweater vest its great, especially on the deeper Vs that need a tie to look right. Good with a softer, more casual sports coat like a corded one, as well.

Comment

sick cardy...i do that all the time. I think its a relaxed look, but the tie needs to be of a casual nature, not those politician or crazy silky ties, i think that look works great with a wool, cotton, well anything other than silk cuz your pretty much already super casual. 1exception though, silk rep ties are a go cuz they are a preppy look

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
      I>0<I

Comment

Agree, like the look MagM. Damn, I want a burgundy cardigan now...

@MaxMan- Silk "rep" ties?

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

sorry, those diagnol striped ties ties, kind of like these

http://www.thetiebar.com/order_page.asp?pn=33406&orderPageReturn=%2Fcategor yPages%2FAll%5FTies%2Easp&pg=1&categoryIds=31,66,6 0&optionValueIds=

in colors that usually mean something. Club ties i guess are another name

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
          I>0<I

Comment

Repp ties. I've got one on in the picture up there.

Comment

Cool, learn something every day. Thanks gents.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

I love the loose tie look

This thread reminds me of the movie I saw yesterday, "50/50"

The wardrobe in that film was SO sharp. Seth Rogen donned the loose tie + dress shirt style quite a bit, and it looked great.

Comment

I like the look. It doesn't look trendy or bad. Looks like you dress classy and you are just loosened up after starting a busy day.

Comment

Like others have said, I think this is awesome for a casual look. It might look a bit off if you try it with a starched shirt, silk satin tie, etc. but as long as you keep everything on the casual side it's totally fine.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                    X