Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bruschetta's Dress Like an Adult (On a Budget)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruschetta's Dress Like an Adult (On a Budget)

One of the most common questions asked on this forum is, "How do I build a business-appropriate wardrobe?"

In this thread I will attempt to provide a classic, versitile wardrobe for the minimal amount possible. My style is influenced by US traditional middle-class business attire. I was born and raised in the US wearing Brooks Brothers, Hart Schaffner Marx, etc. I tend to dress more conservatively than most of the posters on this forum.

In many cases it is possible to save a tremendous amount using Groupon, coupons, promotional codes, voucher codes, sales, etc. My total budget could easily shrink if a buyer is patient and waits for the best price.

Shirts:

One white cotton poplin, point collar, single button, barrel cuff: £30 ($45)
    One light blue cotton poplin, point collar, single button, barrel cuff: £30 ($45)
    One light blue cotton twill, point collar, single button, barrel cuff: £30 ($45)
    One navy blue gingham poplin, single button, barrel cuff: £30 ($45)
    I recently purchased this shirt to replace my old navy blue gingham shirt from J.Crew. The shirt is a rich navy blue, and the check is the perfect size. This has quickly become my favorite casual shirt.

Total on shirts: £100/$200 (£80/$150 or less on sale)

Optional extras:
    Pick from these to round out your wardrobe. These recommendations will never go out of style, so pick based on your own taste and sense of style. This is your chance to be creative!

Pink cotton pinpoint, spread collar, single button, barrel cuff: £49 ($75)
    Navy blue bengal stripe, point collar, single button, barrel cuff:
    Light blue bengal stripe, spread collar, single button, barrel cuff
    White cotton twill with blue check, point collar, single button, barrel cuff

Trousers:

One pair of navy wool trousers:
    Charles Tyrwhitt Navy Gabardine: £69/$103
    J.Crew Factory Navy: £80/$118

One pair of dark grey (preferably flannel or worsted wool) trousers:
    Charles Tyrwhitt Grey Flannel: £69/$103
    J.Crew Factory: £65/$98

One pair of light grey trousers
    J.Crew Factory Light Grey: £80/$118

Suits and Blazers/Sport Coats:

One Navy, single-breasted, notch lapel suit: £299/$400
    SuitSupply Napoli Pinstripe
    SuitSupply Napoli Plain
    SuitSupply London Plain
    J.Crew Factory Thompson

OR

One charcoal, single-breasted, notch lapel suit: £299/$400
    SuitSupply Napoli Dark Grey Plain I tried this suit on and loved it, but decided not to purchase it since I have last season's grey Napoli suit. The charcoal is lighter than the pictures, but still very dark. I wish that I could justify owning this suit.

AND

One Navy, single-breasted, notch lapel blazer:
    Charles Tyrwhitt: £129/$193This is last season's classic navy blazer. It comes with gold buttons, and includes a set of brown buttons should you want to switch them out (you probably should).

Shoes:

One black oxford:
    Herring Shoes Knightsbridge: £175/$232
    Do not confuse this with Loake's Knightsbridge.
    Herring Shoes Mayfair: £185/$245

One brogue oxford, black or brown:
    Meermin Classic: £128/$180 (€160)

One brogue blucher, brown:
    Loak Gladstone: £199/$248

This thread assumes that you already have serviceable accessories. For help with accessories please see the following threads:
    http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...essential+ties

Again, it is possible to shrink the total budget by 50% or more by waiting for sales, voucher codes, promotions, Groupons, and etc. Never pay full retail price.

UPDATED: 25 April 2013
    Last edited by bruschetta; April 25, 2013, 08:12 AM.

I scoff at the idea that one could have only black shoes (or in my case, any black shoes). But I will forgive you for it since this is very well done, sir.
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I know a lot of people in here that are grey suit fans, but I'm personally a navy suit fan. I'm glad you listed both as options, but I would be interested to see a site-wide poll on the issue.

And to be clear, I'd rather have BOTH, but if I had to pick only one, it would be navy.

Comment

For a black captoe I'd consider this for £189:
        http://www.afinepairofshoes.co.uk/co...argent-epsom-1

(It's a bit more, but Hilditch & Key shirts go on sale every July and December for £50 and they are a pretty significant upgrade over CT. If I were building a new wardrobe now I'd wait 10 days and buy those.)

Comment

I can actually never go by these budgets because I'm a bottom feeder that waits for deals and Ebay finds so a lot of the items and prices I get are dependent on the deals that I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
            I can actually never go by these budgets because I'm a bottom feeder that waits for deals and Ebay finds so a lot of the items and prices I get are dependent on the deals that I can find.
            Same here. My gray flannel pants are RL and Hickey Freeman that I found NWT on eBay for under $100. Hickey Freeman blue blazer from Century 21 for under $300. Shirts I don't want to even get into, but I've gotten all sorts of great Paul Stuart, Turnbull & Asser, Hilditch & Key, Paul Smith etc. on eBay for dirt cheap. There's also an amazing consignment shop on the UES in NYC that I've gotten some really absurd bargains at. ($2500 Phineas Cole sample suits for $300, etc.) I honestly can't recall the last item of clothing I paid retail for, maybe a Paul Stuart knit tie a couple of years ago.

Pretty damn good list by Bruschetta though. Great call on the SuitSupply suits.

Comment

Fred G. Unn, I like the look of the Alfred Sargents, but I have a soft spot for Herring as a company. I would agree that H&H are a better deal when on sale, but my options would have been enormous if I had gone by sale prices.

alan, I buy CT shirts when there's a shirt+tie promo. I have come away with a shirt, tie, and brass collar stays for $30, or individual shirts for $25 each. I'd say that's pretty good. In terms of the suits, I love Suit Supply because they fit well. I don't like the idea of a cheap suit.

I have an aversion to buying used clothing. I've tried it, but it bothers me. More power to you if you can find good things thrifting.

Comment

I only things I'm willing to buy at thrift stores are suits and sport coats. Thrifted shirts creep me out. And I'd love a Suit Supply suit, but I find it too risky to buy suits that I can't try on first or can at lest return to a local store.

Lots of solid choices here, though. And CT shirts for $25 sounds unbeatable. Can you let me know when they do that again?

Comment

I just updated my recommendations for this Spring.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                    I just updated my recommendations for this Spring.
                    FYI, both Herring links actually link to the Knightsbridge, if you want to fix the Mayfair link. Knightsbridge is Loake and the Mayfair is Barker right?

Comment

Fred, thank you. I've fixed the links.

I asked Herring and both shoes are made by Loake.

I would welcome suggestions from concerning possible alternatives to any of the above options that I gave. My list is meant as a style guide rather than a list of the best deals out there.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                        I asked Herring and both shoes are made by Loake.
                        The inside shot of the Mayfair has "Herring Shoes Handcrafted by Barker." It looks to be a little more of a modern looking last which I like, nice dovetailed heel, although the lack of stitching outside of the eyelets sorta looks like something is missing. Definitely a touch more modern than the Knightsbridge. I'm not sure if that's a positive or a negative, just different. I definitely prefer the 5 eyelets of both of these over the 6 eyelet AE Park Avenue. Both are good choices at that price range.

Comment

Fred, that's hilarious! I could be remembering incorrectly: I emailed them about it back when I first wrote the original post in November.

Comment

Well done, if you really wanted to go barebones you could get the navy suit only and use the jacket as a blazer.

Comment

A bit nitpicky, I admit, but your linked brogue blucher looks very plain-toed, right? Nice shoes, btw. Any good means of ever seeing them stateside in person, or are these part of the UK-shipped only camp? Nice guide, bruschetta. I've gone with completely different, more *common* options thus far, but I can still appreciate the effort you put into this. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X