X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• goterps
    replied
    Originally posted by Tommy View Post
    So I got both of my jackets in and M Tall seems to fit me better. I did order the black becuase of price but now wondering about the navy option. Its seems like everyone has recommended other colors but black. Is there a big reason for that? I normally wear jeans, and chinos to work while brown seems to be my shoe preference. Not a very "business formal" place but for the price I couldn't pass on the black. Should I hold onto it for a week or two and see if the navy goes on sale? Thanks in advance....you guys are awesome!!
    I'd say its mostly because just about everyone has a black peacoat. Nothing wrong with it IMO, especially for the huge price difference.

Leave a comment:

• frost
    replied
    Holy crap, we need a separate forum for pea coat questions.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    So I got both of my jackets in and M Tall seems to fit me better. I did order the black becuase of price but now wondering about the navy option. Its seems like everyone has recommended other colors but black. Is there a big reason for that? I normally wear jeans, and chinos to work while brown seems to be my shoe preference. Not a very "business formal" place but for the price I couldn't pass on the black. Should I hold onto it for a week or two and see if the navy goes on sale? Thanks in advance....you guys are awesome!!

Leave a comment:

• llie19
    replied
    great choice. i like its fit too. although charcoal would be my preferred color. it fits me better than bayswater. i also agree that BR product pictures are poorly executed, very bad.

Originally posted by Margotron View Post
    I have the BR Navy Peacoat. I ordered a medium long, and am 6'4 185 40L.

Haven't ever seen the JCF peacoat in person, but I quite like the BR, and I might have gotten annoyed with the anchors on the JCF buttons. I got the BR during a 40% off, so, 150? It's 80% wool, which isn't bad in that price range. It fits very trim on me if you're curious. I have no idea why BR has such an awful cover photo unbuttoned - it fits more like the 'rear' shot seen here with the taper:

Leave a comment:

• Margotron
    replied
    I have the BR Navy Peacoat. I ordered a medium long, and am 6'4 185 40L.

Haven't ever seen the JCF peacoat in person, but I quite like the BR, and I might have gotten annoyed with the anchors on the JCF buttons. I got the BR during a 40% off, so, 150? It's 80% wool, which isn't bad in that price range. It fits very trim on me if you're curious. I have no idea why BR has such an awful cover photo unbuttoned - it fits more like the 'rear' shot seen here with the taper:

I took these pics for my girlfriend, but you guys can have them too I guess lol. Excuse everything awful about them, such as my mug

Collar pops nicely

FTR, I would have preferred the J Crew Bayswater. However, it ran large on me - I would have needed a small/tall...which doesn't exist. The BR medium fits slimmer than the JC medium. Fit is king.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    Thanks, I ordered a medium and a medium tall both in black. Judging by the reviews, sizing down sounds like the way to go. As for the black....

Leave a comment:

• Dpdk
    replied
    Tommy I think that you would probably be a M in the JC one. I'm just under 6" and about 175. My small thinsulate (I live in Canada too) lets me fit some layers underneath for the cold days. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it. A little tight in the shoulders which makes putting boots on a touch of a strain, but it has loosed somewhat.Quality seems to be pretty good, though I expect that one of the most frequently used buttons will have to be restitched at some point.

Leave a comment:

• zxu426
    replied
    For me, either navy or charcoal. Navy preferred.

Leave a comment:

• KC
    replied
    I think I bought my gray thinsulate for around 150 and at the time felt it was a great deal from its normal price. I think I prefer peacoats in something other than black but if it's your best shots then it's a good neutral color and tons of people go with black winter coats.

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    So I went with the Target Peacoat $45 but now regret it. Bang for buck great deal but I see what others mean about "boxy". Jcrew peacoat is $137 shipped to Canada but in black. What do you think about black instead of blue or should I wait for the blue to come down in price....assuming it will? That's with Thinsulate lining

Leave a comment:

• llie19
    replied
    i happen to prefer the BR navy one to the JCrew one. if you don't care so much about pure wool vs wool blend, BR one can save you some money without sacrificing any fashion or fit. i also notice the bayswater lapel is not pressed, and just flaps forward when you put on a new one, some may like it that way, but i prefer it to lie against my chest.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Originally posted by goterps View Post
    older BR peacoats were cashmere blended and soft. The current ones are definitely not worth the same price as Jcrew's. Jcrew factory vs normal BR I can't say though, could be close.
    I'd go with the JCF over the BR. I don't think there's a huge difference between the JC and JCF - not an obvious one that I could see or feel anyways.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
    @tommy: If you decide to buy in store, don't forget to bring a student ID. Jcrew usually takes an additional 15% off
    That's pretty sweet. I never knew this. I just so happen to have one even though I'm 33 because I'm in grad school.

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied
    @tommy: If you decide to buy in store, don't forget to bring a student ID. Jcrew usually takes an additional 15% off

Leave a comment:

• Tommy
    replied
    First off, thanks for the instant feedback everyone!! I am leaing towards the J Crew Peacoat and wondering if I should hold off to make the purchase? I am sure it will be cheaper after the Christmas holidays but I would like to have it for then. Do you think this is the best deal I will see that they have now or is there a code/sale that I should hold off for?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X