Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going on a shoe binge! Need some help picking out some AE's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alan
    replied
    Status report:

So I never received my black Hastings. Apparently they're sold out in my size. However, they did have a pair that's one size larger so I went ahead and ordered them. Sometimes 12D AE's fit me really well and sometimes they're very tight. I'm hoping that Hastings are tight. If so, maybe the 13D's will fit me ok.

They forgot to ship my walnut grain Park Aves so I told them not to worry about it. I already have some British tan wingtips to fill that niche. I have enough to decide between, already.

The Milfords (the pair for my brother) ended up being super tight, but I put my largest shoe trees in them, and we'll see if that helps. I suspect it will, but my brother has a lower tolerance for these things than I do.

I've already been wearing the brown/brown Hamptons. They're officially my favorites of the bunch. If every single other pair fell through, I'd still feel like a winner with these shoes. I'll admit that the first time I wore them was 10 hours of pure pain. When I took them off, though, I stuffed my biggest shoe trees into them. They've been resting in the shoe trees for a few days now, and sure enough... I'm wearing them today without issue!

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    I'm breaking in the Hamptons today. I'm not even waiting for the others to come in before I declare this pair a keeper. These Hamptons are pretty tight, but they're nothing compared to the Hales when I first got them. I'm pretty sure I can stretch them to size just by wearing them and leaving them in shoe trees. Even now, they don't hurt. They're just tight.
    Last edited by alan; December 5, 2012, 10:51 AM.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Originally posted by Julio P. View Post
    How is the fit on the brown grain Malverns? Many AE reviews remark about the ill fit of the shoe.
    My Malverns fit me just fine, but every foot is different. They'll fit me even better once they've been broken in.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Yeah, I'm surprised at how much I like these Hamptons. I thought the grain across the vamp might be offensive to the eyes, but it looks good! It's got a bit of an identity crisis, though. Is it a wingtip, a cap toe, or a spectator? It's a little bit of all three. That might be whey it's going away.

Those suede Malverns look really great. Are they first quality? The Amoks and Katmais I ordered were both a bust so now I'm wishing I had ordered the suede Malverns when they were still available, if for no other reason than to have a backup plan. They're all gone now.

I know for a fact that I'm going to like the Elgins. They're first quality and they could easily be keepers. The Milfords are actually a Christmas gift for my brother so they're staying, but not for me. The Fifth Avenues are going to be interesting. They're seconds so something could still be really wrong with them. Even if they're good, though, they could be the first pair on the chopping block, even if they look good, though, since I already have a pair of walnut balmorals (albeit wingtips).

I think I'm going to keep 3 for myself and then the one to my brother so I'll have to find a way to narrow 5 down to 3 when the others come in. If any of them are flawed, it'll make the decision much easier.

Leave a comment:

• Julio P.
    replied
    How is the fit on the brown grain Malverns? Many AE reviews remark about the ill fit of the shoe.

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied
    The hamptons look great. It's got a really timeless look to it...surprised it's not part of AE's standard classics line, Quintons look great also if you need a suede wingtip. The malverns look great if you need a brown chukka. Speaking of Malverns, received mine today:

So I thought the original plan was to only keep 3 Alan...what happens if you end up liking the 3 that are still coming!

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied
    What's wrong with different shades of brown!?

Leave a comment:

• frost
    replied
    All brown shoes...

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    OK! So the the first wave of AE's finally arrived today! Instead of waiting for them all to come in to post one big group shot, I'm just going post what I have now and return what I'm not keeping. So without any further adieu, here's the fist batch:

Back row (left to right): tan Kiowa, Katmai, maracca Amok
    Front row (left to right): brown/brown grain Hamptons, brown grain Malvern, brogue suede Quinton

The front three make the cut and the back three are getting returned tonight. The Kiowas are seconds and seriously jacked up, the Katmais are more distressed than I was hoping for, and the Amoks are SERIOUSLY unstructured. On the other hand, the Hamptons are considered seconds, but I can't find a flaw (and they're my wife's favorites). The Malverns are firsts. And the Quintons are seconds, but the only problem is a bump in the leather near the arch of my left shoe that totally disappears amidst all that suede.

I'm still waiting for some walnut grain Fifth Avenues, brown Elgins, and black Milfords.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Originally posted by zerostyle View Post
    Malverns are boring, IMO.
    Even when they have grain leather that looks like you're wearing footballs on your feet?

Leave a comment:

• zerostyle
    replied
    Malverns are boring, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    So they're shipping the Elgins and the Milfords. The only one they couldn't find was the Hastings. That's a bummer since I still won't have any uber-formal shoes, but I'll still get my Elgins and my brother's Milfords. So out of 10 pairs, I'll receive 9. And since they couldn't complete the order on the Hastings, I'm being allowed to peruse their remaining closeouts and order one more at that BF price of $99.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    Thanks for the second opinion Fred. Makes me feel better about my decision.

I'm just waiting for an email reply from the shoe bank on how to go about sending them a return. Hopefully it's not a difficult process.

Leave a comment:

• Fred G. Unn
    replied
    Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
    My Malverns came in today and they look great. The problem is that after wearing them around the house for just a few hours my pinky toes were killing me. Looks like I have no choice but to send them back.
    Send them back! The brown suede Malverns are one of my favorite shoes, so I decided to get the brown grain version a year or so ago when the Shoebank had a sale. They killed my pinky toes! I just assumed they would stretch with some wear, but they didn't. I tried some oversized trees, taking them to be stretched, but they still were too painful to wear. I eventually gave up and consigned them. The brown suede version in the exact same size (and last obviously) is perfectly comfortable. I'm not sure what the deal with the brown grain version is, but if your pinky toes hurt too, just send them back while you can.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Well loose shoes is a problem easily solved by wearing thicker socks or adding insoles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X