Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going on a shoe binge! Need some help picking out some AE's!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Malverns came in today and they look great. The problem is that after wearing them around the house for just a few hours my pinky toes were killing me. Looks like I have no choice but to send them back.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
      My Malverns came in today and they look great. The problem is that after wearing them around the house for just a few hours my pinky toes were killing me. Looks like I have no choice but to send them back.
      Is it so bad that they can't be stretched?

Comment

Is the shoe very narrow or something?

Comment

How do you stretch shoes? Do you just leave shoe trees in them?

I'm not sure if stretching them will necessarily help. I'm actually a 9C in strands and got 9B in mctavish (since AE doesn't make very many of their shoes in a C). The shoes felt super comfy at first but as the day went on, my small toe on my right foot started hurting. I think it's the fact that its a bit loose so when my foot slides around as I walk my toe starts getting sore. Which is strange since that doesn't happen with my CH Paul chukkas or Clark's desert boots even though they are probably even looser. Not sure what it could be.

Comment

Well loose shoes is a problem easily solved by wearing thicker socks or adding insoles.

Comment

Send them back! The brown suede Malverns are one of my favorite shoes, so I decided to get the brown grain version a year or so ago when the Shoebank had a sale. They killed my pinky toes! I just assumed they would stretch with some wear, but they didn't. I tried some oversized trees, taking them to be stretched, but they still were too painful to wear. I eventually gave up and consigned them. The brown suede version in the exact same size (and last obviously) is perfectly comfortable. I'm not sure what the deal with the brown grain version is, but if your pinky toes hurt too, just send them back while you can.

Comment

Thanks for the second opinion Fred. Makes me feel better about my decision.

I'm just waiting for an email reply from the shoe bank on how to go about sending them a return. Hopefully it's not a difficult process.

Comment

So they're shipping the Elgins and the Milfords. The only one they couldn't find was the Hastings. That's a bummer since I still won't have any uber-formal shoes, but I'll still get my Elgins and my brother's Milfords. So out of 10 pairs, I'll receive 9. And since they couldn't complete the order on the Hastings, I'm being allowed to peruse their remaining closeouts and order one more at that BF price of $99.

Comment

Malverns are boring, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by zerostyle View Post
                      Malverns are boring, IMO.
                      Even when they have grain leather that looks like you're wearing footballs on your feet?

Comment

OK! So the the first wave of AE's finally arrived today! Instead of waiting for them all to come in to post one big group shot, I'm just going post what I have now and return what I'm not keeping. So without any further adieu, here's the fist batch:

Back row (left to right): tan Kiowa, Katmai, maracca Amok
                        Front row (left to right): brown/brown grain Hamptons, brown grain Malvern, brogue suede Quinton

The front three make the cut and the back three are getting returned tonight. The Kiowas are seconds and seriously jacked up, the Katmais are more distressed than I was hoping for, and the Amoks are SERIOUSLY unstructured. On the other hand, the Hamptons are considered seconds, but I can't find a flaw (and they're my wife's favorites). The Malverns are firsts. And the Quintons are seconds, but the only problem is a bump in the leather near the arch of my left shoe that totally disappears amidst all that suede.

I'm still waiting for some walnut grain Fifth Avenues, brown Elgins, and black Milfords.

Comment

All brown shoes...

Comment

What's wrong with different shades of brown!?

Comment

The hamptons look great. It's got a really timeless look to it...surprised it's not part of AE's standard classics line, Quintons look great also if you need a suede wingtip. The malverns look great if you need a brown chukka. Speaking of Malverns, received mine today:

So I thought the original plan was to only keep 3 Alan...what happens if you end up liking the 3 that are still coming!

Comment

How is the fit on the brown grain Malverns? Many AE reviews remark about the ill fit of the shoe.

Comment

Working...
                                X