Pants fine/tight in front, loose in back

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pants fine/tight in front, loose in back

Hey all, I got my first pair of Dockers Alphas recently. Great pants overall but I'm having trouble with the fit. I first tried a 32 waist size and they were way too tight -- could barely button them. Got 33's and they're much more comfortable but I'm noticing that the fit is much looser in the back than in the front -- there's definitely a gap that you can fit your fingers into that doesn't exist in the front. Almost gives that sensation that they're falling down even though there's definitely only so far they can go. If I simply cinch my belt, I feel like they'd be way too tight up front like the 32's were. I'm best described as a generally slim guy with a semi-well-hidden gut. Anybody have any hints for this issue?

(BTW if the collective answers to this issue are "you're too neurotic" or "lose the gut" then I'm fine with that)

if it bothers you now, it'll be even worse in the future. I'd try another fit/style and play around with the waist sizes to find the one that doesn't feel like its slipping or too tight.

Comment

I spent $20 to alter a pair of otherwise smashing Bonobos khakis recently, bringing in the waist in the back (instead of the front) to address my small waist/big derriere challenge. They now fit like gold.

Comment

Start doing some squats at gym and grown an arse

Comment

Originally posted by cjl1978 View Post
          I spent $20 to alter a pair of otherwise smashing Bonobos khakis recently, bringing in the waist in the back (instead of the front) to address my small waist/big derriere challenge. They now fit like gold.
          Cool -- so bringing in the waist in the back didn't tighten things up in the front?? I'm cool to spend some extra $ to adjust them as the pants look great otherwise. Took me a long time to find khaki-sh pants that didn't look terrible so maybe I'll give this a try.

Comment

I have these and they are pretty much Levi's 510 through and through on me... in other words, jeggings.
            But I wear them all the time anyway!

Comment

Maybe the Alphas ain't for you. I've had to pass on some style of pants (looking at you Gap chinos!) because they just don't seem to fit right.

Comment

speaking of pants fit, went to the outlet today and tried on some banana republic pants, factory/outlet products of course, called straight fit i believe. the fit is terribly off on me, the front is so squeezing that standing straight not only looks unnatural but also physically hurts. they were $18, color and fabric seems fine, what s steal it could have been. but with that fit, i would not pay $5 for it.

but just how important is pants fit? i am not too picky, as long as it's not baggy, or constrains movement or sitting. folks here seem to stress on finding that "you fit" and stick to it, anyone care to explain the whole deal on that?

Comment

fit, materials, brand, and price pick three. I have jeans that are the first three but weren't cheap. I also have $10 jeans from pacsun years ago that are literally just tight, if that's what you're after. In theory you could get brand name pants with good materials and pay to tailor them, which is a good idea if you can get them cheap enough.

Comment

Originally posted by george View Post
                    Maybe the Alphas ain't for you. I've had to pass on some style of pants (looking at you Gap chinos!) because they just don't seem to fit right.
                    Bingo. Since OP already owns the pants, it's probably worth altering them so that they are wearable, but I would avoid them in the future. The rise for casual pants is usually cut higher in the back and lower in the front - that probably has something to do with what you're feeling.

For a lot of twill/denim/etc. pants you WANT them to be snug in the waist when you purchase them. Not cutting off your circulation snug, but certainly not relaxed. While the waist may shrink after washing, the material will also stretch out. I can't tell you how many times I've purchased jeans thinking 'these fit great', then watching them slowly ride lower on my waist throughout the day and stretch the waistband in the process. Your only option at that point is to cut the waistband and bring it in.

Comment

Working...
                    X