X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eharlow49
    replied
    Originally posted by lmwilson View Post
    Thanks for the Vans suggestion @Shomas! I actually caught the link the first time you posted it. These look pretty great, plus I know vans are beyond durable.

I'm comfortable enough in my masculinity not to worry about if a piece of clothing looks feminine. My skinny jeans and cardigans look great thank you very much. I like the Clark's DBs, they just don't seem that exciting to me so I'm looking for other shoes that fit a similar role (like those vans!).
    I was the same way regarding Clark's DBs. I looked around for awhile and then on a whim I went and tried on a pair and fell in love with them. They aren't the most exciting but they do go great with almost everything in my wardrobe. Those Vans look pretty sweet as well.

Leave a comment:

• TomasR
    replied
    @Imwilson
    I generally prefer a more tapered round toe on my footwear which is why I don't really mess with Clark's and the Tom's seem like a bit of a Franken-shoe to me. It sounds like you're aiming for a streetwear leaning aesthetic here and, keeping that in mind, I think Fred Perry makes some nice options for you which can be found at deep discounts.

6pm is running some good deals on Fred Perry footwear here http://www.6pm.com/fred-perry-mens-shoes~9 and the Byron model seems like it might be up your alley. It's also available in multiple styles so you have options.

Also, what's up with the TOMS hate, guys? They're inspired by the espadrille which is an old-school, rugged peasant shoe. I wouldn't wear TOMS, but that's mostly because I prefer the traditional rope sole look and haven't found the right pair of those for the right price quite yet.

Leave a comment:

• lmwilson
    replied
    Thanks for the Vans suggestion @Shomas! I actually caught the link the first time you posted it. These look pretty great, plus I know vans are beyond durable.

I'm comfortable enough in my masculinity not to worry about if a piece of clothing looks feminine. My skinny jeans and cardigans look great thank you very much. I like the Clark's DBs, they just don't seem that exciting to me so I'm looking for other shoes that fit a similar role (like those vans!).
    Last edited by lmwilson; November 19, 2012, 05:22 PM. Reason: misspelling

Leave a comment:

• Shomas
    replied
    @Imwilson, I guess my real contribution to answering your question got lost in everything else, but I think you might have some luck with Vans. You can find some models that appear to be kind of up your alley here: http://shop.vans.com/catalog/Vans/en...hoes/surf.html

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• lmwilson
    replied

I'm comfortable enough in my masculinity not to worry about clothing you might consider feminine. My skinny jeans and cardigans look great thank you very much.

Just looking out for some suggestions of boots that would fit a similar role. I like the Clark's boots, but they just don't seem that exciting to me.

Originally posted by Shomas
    you may find something you like from Vans as well. Check out the shoes here: http://shop.vans.com/catalog/Vans/en...hoes/surf.html
    These looks pretty great. Maybe a little tiny bit of traction on the soles too(maybe). Thanks for the suggestion!

Leave a comment:

• SDot
    replied
    Thanks @bruschetta...that was needed

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    There is a difference between stating an opinion once, and stating it repeatedly in an attempt to ensure that yours is the only opinion heard. Having an opinion is wonderful, but please respect the opinions of others.

Leave a comment:

• printyra
    replied
    And yes, I was being unfair to the brand but not intentionally. I was speaking strictly about their flagship shoe. When I think of TOMS, I think of their flagship shoe, the little canvass slipper.

Leave a comment:

• bruschetta
    replied
    This is a warning to posters in this thread who have become aggressive in the manner in which they communicate their stylistic preferences. Please tone it down. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    I think the TOMS are ugly so I'd go with the desert boots. It's your call though.

Leave a comment:

• jputman08
    replied
    I think lots of guys here defer to the Desert Boot but I think you should wear what you like and what is comfortable based on the context in which you're wearing them. My brother-in-law rocks Toms and he likes them. From a style perspective, they are not my thing.

IMHO - We should all keep in mind, this is a "style" forum not a "brand" forum. If you don't like the "style" of Toms that is one thing, but let's keep it in that perspective as opposed correlating "brand" preference to one's lifestyle choices.
    Last edited by jputman08; November 19, 2012, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SDot
    replied
    As I said before...I figured most would deter u from the TOMS, but everyone has their own style. Not one person's style is the blueprint for someone else's. If u like the TOMS best, go with them. I feel like the desert boots would last longer & be more versatile, but don't let others sway your mind just because they can't pull the look off themselves.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied
    Originally posted by lmwilson View Post
    Comments noted. My style is more casual than someone trying to be a secret agent, so the TOMS work with my look. Not for everyone maybe, but I'm considering them. (plus when you work for non-profits they kind of boost your "humanitarian-cred")

The other jcp boots seem too formal for what I'm looking for, but thanks for the mention! Any other suggestions? I've been having trouble finding anything similar that doesn't seem totally flimsy to incredibly overpriced.
    You can dress casual, comfortable, well, and like a secret agent all at the same time and all without being the TOMS guy.

(He's wearing Zara desert boots)

Leave a comment:

• lmwilson
    replied
    Comments noted. My style is more casual than someone trying to be a secret agent, so the TOMS work with my look. Not for everyone maybe, but I'm considering them. (plus when you work for non-profits they kind of boost your "humanitarian-cred")

The other jcp boots seem too formal for what I'm looking for, but thanks for the mention! Any other suggestions? I've been having trouble finding anything similar that doesn't seem totally flimsy to incredibly overpriced.

Leave a comment:

• printyra
    replied
    No man should ever wear TOMS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X