Custom Made Dress Shirt Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Custom Made Dress Shirt Help

Hey all, long time reader/lurker that has not posted much, but I've been reading Dappered for over a year now and it has played a huge part in transforming my wardrobe post college. As a preface, I am now in my third year of law school (straight from undergrad so on a serious budget) and I am interning/working during the school year at a law firm which is business casual (even the senior partners are sans jacket and tie unless they are going to a formal legal event). With that in mind, there is no guarantee at this point for a job upon graduation, so I am looking to continue to beef up my business wardrobe.

I recently was lucky enough to win a free custom made dress shirt from Windsor Custom Clothing in a raffle. I've done some thinking with regards to the shirt I would like made, but still wanted to come to the dappered community for some feedback. I have all of the shirts on Joe's dress shirt hierarchy except for 6 and 9, but I am not a huge fan of that type of plaid anyways. I also, like I'm sure most others, have some that aren't on there.

I am leaning towards getting a new light blue shirt. My original light blue was purchased when I was a college junior/senior and a good bit heavier, so even with tailoring (not the greatest tailor... another on the to-do list) the fit is ideal. I have two plain white shirts that I purchased more recently and 1 of everything else from Joe's list except the above mentioned. I feel like 6 could be a great shirt to add to my arsenal down the road, but a plain light blue has more staying power and I feel like I'd be better served going that route in a custom made shirt.

On a personal note, what is proper etiquette when it comes to custom made shirts (tipping the tailor etc etc). This will be my first custom made shirt, so I'd like to be a bit prepared haha.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Steve

I don't think you'll regret having a light blue shirt that fits great, regardless of what's in your wardrobe already. It'll be a super versatile piece you can dress up or down depending on your preference and/or where you land job-wise.

As for tipping the tailor, etc., I'm not sure (I've never had a bespoke anything made), but the advice here (http://www.gq.com/style/style-guy/mi...tipping-tailor) seems to run against.

Good luck in the job hunt.

Comment

To get the custom made shirt is difficult as we have to make it custom. I am used to shop at [deleted link] as they have really good fabric stuff and tailor quality.
      Last edited by nicholascrawford; March 16, 2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by blythe View Post
        To get the custom made shirt is difficult as we have to make it custom. I am used to shop at (deleted link) as they have really good fabric stuff and tailor quality.
        not sure if serious...
        Last edited by nicholascrawford; March 16, 2013, 01:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X