Shoes for a black suit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoes for a black suit

So I have this black suit sitting in my closet which I had made on my last trip to South Asia. Being hand-tailored it's kind of the most special item in my closet but sees little use, maybe once every 2 or 3 months.

I have been looking for shoes to compliment it but I do not want to splurge on a pair that's going to be sitting in the closet most of the time with the suit. Something that's diverse enough for daily use would be great. A quick look on eBay turned up these -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Florsheim-Imperial-Black-Wing-Tip-71-2-3E-Worn-Twice-/150660970694?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&hash=item231417f8c6

Thoughts?

perfect.

Comment

Awesome find--black suit, black shoes--keep 'em sharp and shined. While I tend to favor brown shoes, I think you'll find those shoes to be surprisingly versatile--would still look sharp with navy, charcoal, or lighter grey suits, and could easily dress up dark-wash jeans for a night out.

Comment

Ben, WesMan - Thanks for the comments. I have never owned a pair of wingtips and am unsure of what else I can dress them with. Would these go with charcoal khakis and maybe 501's in Indigo Rinse?

I seem to be getting put off by the excessive perforations.

Thoughts on these - http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmond...-/140612528063 ?

Comment

aks, Nice purchase! They'll look good with dark pants: black, charcoal, navy. Black + khaki = tacky.

Comment

I don't know if I'd wear black wings with jeans. It might just be some kind of mental block for me.

Comment

Both those shoes look good. Make sure you know your size. There's a big difference between 7D and 7EEE.

Black shoes and charcoal pants is fine, more geared toward formal functions. Black wingtips and jeans are a no- no. Again, because of the inherent informality of jeans and the fact that black shoes are more for formal wear.

Comment

Really? Surprised such opposition to jeans and wingtips. I mean it's not the most obvious choice, but I think given the proper circumstances (and proportions!) it can completely work--different strokes for different folks.

Comment

I think it's the black wingtips, not wingtips in general. I'm not a fan of black shoes myself.

Comment

I think if the wingtips are casual (chunky/stacked sole, not highly polished, and/or not leather) they could work. Aks asked about those AEs, and to me, those are more formal.

I have seen someone pull off a tux jacket with indigo jeans, but the fit on the jeans was impeccable.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

Working...
                    X