H&M: Questions on sizes and sizing up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H&M: Questions on sizes and sizing up.

So H&M just recently opened a new store at my local mall (there has been a women's only H&M at the other local mall for years now). Stopped in there and grabbed a sweater recently in my typical size (M) that fits and looks great. I also picked up a wool vest and blazer, and a pair of wool pants. The vest and blazer seem a bit snug, not overly tight, in my typical 40R size, while the pants I bought in my normal size 33 are tight (not uncomfortable tight, but very obvious). I bought a size 34 before work today to try for the pants, but the vest and blazer in a 42R are sold out. Is it typical in some items, due to the slimmer fit, to have to size up? I'm of average size/build (5'11, 160) and just want to hear if anyone has/had similar experiences.

Zack - I would say for some of the pants, vest/blazer you may need to size up. It all depends on your build and how you want it to fit tho. I'm on the slim physique side, so I like all my clothes fitted...but not tight. For the most part I'm true to size with their blazers.
    "One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
    #StayDapper

Comment

If you have a muscular/athletic build, or a bigger build, or a broad chest at all, you will need to size up. Likewise with bigger athletic thighs or glutes. Im a 34 waist normally and I need a 36 even in some H&M stuff simply because I cant fit it over my thighs properly haha. I just dont buy pants there. I run into similar issues with their blazers. The chest is too tight in my normal 40R size. I am around 5'10.5 and around 180lbs for rough reference.

However, in things like their cardigans and such, I end up actually having to size down in some cases.... I think generally they cut their clothes for a thinner more hipster like physique, but there are exceptions to the rule. Their v-neck sweaters are amazing for layering and fit amongst the best I have ever tried on. They also have very good v-neck tees I use as undershirts.

Comment

It really depends on the product. I do not have small quads, but the pants fit me pretty well TTS.
        "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

For their S/M/L sizes? No, probably not. For their clothing that comes in more incremental sizes (e.g. pants, jackets)? Yeah, I'd say so! I think it depends on your size, though. I've heard that people on the low end of a 42R are fine with a 42R from H&M, but also that someone who's on the larger end of 42R might need to step it up to a 44R (they don't carry odd sizes, I don't think). So, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary if you did!

And yeah, bear in mind that the low quality control for H&M can also lead to some real inconsistencies in their sizing. I'd go back to the store and try on a few in each size and see what works. It's entirely possible that you got a smaller-than-average jacket (though, the odds of all of the suit pieces being smaller-than-average seem less likely).
          Last edited by pitseleh; November 15, 2012, 02:01 AM.

Comment

I wear a 38R in their blazer and they fit really well, a little snug but definitely not uncomfortable. For reference I'm 5'9 163lbs.

Comment

Funny, I'm 5'11" 160 lb, but I wear a 38R (really a 39) and 30" waist. I find that their clothing is tts, however because of their style, and my long torso, a lot of their coats and jackets are cut too short for me. I typically do not have to size up with H&M stuff. However, I will admit that i love the fit of their merino sweaters. It's tts, doesn't billow out too much at the waist, and is a bit longer in length for those with longer torsos

Comment

H&M sizes are all over the place. There's no consistency whatsoever.

Comment

I generally find that i am a 38R and medium there. The pants dont fit me although i wish they did. My quads are large or maybe its my backside...all those squats and basketball did me damage...
                  "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                  I>0<I

Comment

I concur with MaxMan; I find their Medium tops work for me in just about anything and I'm a 38R with broad shoulders. Their pants, however, are just too slim for the lower hemisphere. But I do like their Easy Iron shirts in a pinch.

Comment

Agree with @MaxMan. Blazers are pretty TTS. Anything else...good luck.
                      "One man's style must not be the rule of another's." - Jane Austen
                      #StayDapper

Comment

I've found that H&M's clothing is either quite TTS or a major dice roll. Word to the wise: Inspect H&M clothing thoroughly before purchase. I avoid their stuff as almost everything I've ever tried on there is sloppily constructed.

Comment

Working...
                        X