Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On the Fence: Should I Buy or Let It Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the Fence: Should I Buy or Let It Go?

With apologies to The Clash, I would like your opinion on this coat.

Is it too feminine looking? I have been looking for a trench, but this looks like an intriguing coat. It's navy (like so many of my coats), and I would like to get another color, but this looks pretty good. Not a fan of the mustardy other color on Gilt.

Image here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.svpp...jpg?1350401860

Details:
    Plectrum by Ben Sherman

Long-sleeve melton wool blend six-button double-breasted coat
    Horn buttons throughout
    Shawl lapels
    Epaulettes
    Two lower flap pockets
    Optional buttoned waist belt
    Back center vent with button option
    Fully lined with interior pockets
    Back length: 36¾" (taken from a size M)

Brand: Ben Sherman Plectrum

Material: Outer: 90% Wool, 10% Nylon, Body Lining: 51% Polyester, 49% Viscose, Sleeve lining: 65% Polyester, 35% Cotton

It looks a little "off" to me. Not necessarily feminine, though. I think it's the shawl lapels. Without the traditional trench coat lapels, something like this: http://www.imagedesignconsulting.com.../04/trench.jpg it just doesn't give me as much of a "trench coat" vibe.

I personally would pass on it. But I also favor trench coats that are calf-length, so I prefer them as traditional as possible.

Comment

FWIW, I dig it!
      here is another pic of a dude wearing it unbuttoned in camel
      http://www.magneticmag.com/2011/08/b...n-in-new-york/

Its always frustrating with jackets because it depends on how you look wearing it. I was about to throw in the towel on the BR bridge coat (especially seeing it on their model in pictures online) but when i tried it on, my wife loved it and i was digging it on myself.
      dont be afraid to roll the dice!

Comment

Doh. I was reconsidering my dislike of the camel color version of the coat and now that color is unavailable. I hear your points, and I'm torn now. Maybe I'll just skip it since it's not a true trench and I already have tons of navy coats: 2 peacoats, 2 waxed cotton coats, about 6 navy blazers... It's a sickness. Calling Tomservo, calling Tomservo!

Comment

I'm with Longshanks in that I find the overall look of it somewhat odd. Trying to be a trench, but then veering off with the shawl collar--they dominate the coat. If you like that / disagree, I think it otherwise looks decent.

Comment

If you want it as something like a bridge coat then this is a fairly good option. If you want it as a true trench, I'd look for something else.

Comment

I agree that its a little off, not feminine in any way, but i think something isnt right. I see the dude wearing it and still dont really like it. It's forward and def a rule breaker. What matters is do you know how your going to wear it. i can see that going bad with certain things...
              "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
              I>0<I

Comment

I think it's easier to take risks on something that's not made to be worn as an outer-most layer. If you get one of these, you'll have to wear it over anything else you're wearing, and it's all that people are going to see.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I agree - there's just something which doesn't quite work for me here. I'm going to let it go.

Comment

I like it, definitely different in a good way. If the price is right, I say do it. The shawl collar is cool.
                    "Waste no time arguing what a good man should be. Be one." – Marcus Aurelius

Comment

Working...
                    X