Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoe care, Tie storage

*first thread here*

So I had a few questions / interest on how others care for their dress shoes, and also how they store their ties.

Ive heard roll some, hang some. I would like a more detailed breakdown of really proper storage for each type of material of tie.

Also, I have some leather dress shoes, AE's, Gordon Rush's etc. My question is, how often should I upkeep them like buff wax or w/e ur suppose to use. Any help would be absolutely fantastic. There are so many different products out there, I have no idea what products care for the leather, what products change the color of the leather, and so on and so forth.

Ties: I hang all of mine except for knit ties, because I guess they end up stretching out.

Shoe wise, I use meltonian creme on nearly all of my shoes, whenever they look like they need it. There are lots of different things out there, and everyone will tell you that the way they do it is best, but when it really comes down to it, idk. Polishes change the color more, good for covering scuffs, I really only polish my black dress shoes. I use the cremes on pretty much everything else, maybe every couple months to keep the leather in good condition. Pretty basic, but some people are really picky about shoe care, it depends on how expensive your shoes are, how much free time you have, how anal you are...

Comment

I've looked at the Meltonian Creme's... I understood them to be a polish. A different option to the wax polishes which supposedly keep the leather from breathing. Is that incorrect? On the Putthison.com video about shoes he first puts on a conditioner, then a creme polish:

http://putthison.com/post/535994284/episode-2-shoes

Comment

Ties:

I hang all of mine, nothing takes our the wrinkles better than hanging them. Even the weird sock/open weave/crochet ones that don't wrinkle. I bought this rack based on reviews and love it:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SDVMU4

I roll mine only when I travel. I also make sure to take out the knot as soon as I'm done wearing them.

Shoe Care:

For AEs I use the polish they sell online. Super easy, great color match to their shoes.

I've also used Kiwi brand polish. Never use brown, use only neutral polish for all colors except black. Traditional method: add a bit of water to the polish (paste), use a finger behind a scrap of t shirt dip it into the polish, polish around the shoe, working it in everywhere. Let it dry. Use horsehair brush (I have two brushes, one for brown/neutral shoes, one for black). Then buff the shoe with another old t shirt / buffing cloth. Repeat if you don't have enough shine.

Never use the silicone "touch up" sponges. They are only temporary and it complicates polishing later. I only hear they dry the leather out.

In extreme cases with damaged shoes: I have cheated and used a heat gun to melt the polish in the Kiwi tin, while it's warm (careful) spread it around the shoe. Work it in everywhere. Heat it up again (at a low heat setting). The pores on the leather will open up and let the polish in. Let it dry and finish per above (brush and buffing cloth). I've done this a few times to restore old worn leather and it does OK. I wouldn't do it to a pair of AE's unless I bought them for cheap.

I only polish as needed. I don't take it super seriously, it's more of a ritual for me. If anyone has more experience with the cremes and conditioners please chime in.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

@jason, yeah, the meltonian cremes are kind of a polish, they have color to them obviously, and work well, but they seem to condition the leather as well like a creme, versus a wax-based polish, which more seals the leather I feel like, and keeps it dry

Comment

Agree with Ben on all points ties, knits need to be rolled and silks need gravity to get shape back. Shoes: the most important one is SHOE TREES. Keep the shape in tact...and i would condition at the change of seasons and shine or polish when needed....

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
            I>0<I

Comment

Ok, so on that note, maybe if I give you a specific shoe, you can tell me what exact product I can use to condition and another product to use for the shine or polish aspect. Do you need different shoe cremes / conditioners depending on the shoe colors? (black, chestnut, dark brown??). again, I'm new to shoe leather conditioning.

I have Allen Edmonds Walnut Stanfords - Conditioner? Polish?

Gordon Rush Burgundy brown elongated Oxford - Conditioner? Polish?

And 1 pair of black Bostonians cap toes - Conditioner? Polish?

(I dont want these black shoes to shine like tuxedo,

Just enough shine to look perfect)

P.S. I've always used shoe trees, that is a major importance in my book. I don't like to lack in upkeep when it comes to my professional attire. Thats why i ask these questions im unsure of

As far as ties, I don't need to roll the wool or cotton ? Or just hang wool, cotton, silk ties? And only roll knit ties? What about knitted silk? lol. I believe my thin black burberry tie is like a knitted silk? still hang?

Comment

I have AE Walnut Strands, basically the same color as your Sanfords. I use Meltonian cream in English Tan. The color matches perfectly. I have never waxed them but I think I might try, (at least once in a while to remove scuffs) I solely use the cream. If I do get a wax it'l be the Meltonian English Tan.

In terms of process check this out. I think all the products he uses are Saphir.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsx38_s3Mnc&feature=player_embedded

For a mirror shine, like Yacko was saying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uE2p...eature=related

Comment

In this article he says that one could use a different color polish on the toes to create an antiqued effect. I'm sure it would look cool, but I'm not good enough to try it.

http://www.permanentstyle.co.uk/2010...y-part-11.html

Comment

^ Man, that first video is relaxing.

EDIT:

RE: the antiqued effect - Early on when I first started shining my shoes I did a bad job of matching the tan creme to a [thankfully cheaper] shoe. I applied the creme to the top front of the shoe without doing a test polish on the inside. At this point I either had to finish both shoes the same way, or had to try to remove what I just added without damaging the original color. The shoes already soaked some of the color (they were in bad shape). So, I evenly coated the whole shoe and wiped off what I could. I ended up having darker polish around the seams / stitching, the toe box, and did a fade in to the sole of the shoe (it was more damaged in those places and held on to the polish). This probably took me an hour or two of experimenting - it was my only pair of brown dress shoes at the time. It worked out in the end but I wouldn't try it on a pair of shoes I cared about now. Learned a lot about what [not] to do that time.

My Measurements: 6' 1" height, 35" sleeves, 41-42" chest/jacket, 35" waist, 34" inseam, 11.5D/EEE shoes, 200 lbs

Comment

The video that shows the process of shoe care is great, actually quite relaxing. Unfortunately the 10 step process of which he demonstrates is beyond understanding for someone like me. I see many different products being shown and also being used. I have no idea the steps, process, or reasoning behind each.

Is there like a 2-5 step process for regular upkeep to keep the leather conditioned and not dry out, Im not super concerned with having an amazing shine like the second video.

Comment

Here you go.

http://www.wikihow.com/Polish-Shoes

This one's even better.

http://dresswithstyle.com/2009/11/29...on-your-shoes/

Comment

This video is all about shoes... The whole thing is worth watching, but around 4:45 he goes through polishing:

http://putthison.com/post/535994284/episode-2-shoes

Comment

Working...
                          X