Spier & Mackay Foreign Transaction Fees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spier & Mackay Foreign Transaction Fees

I recently made my first purchase from Spier & Mackay and noticed that I was charged a foreign transaction fee (I am US based). I didn’t recall seeing any messages that I would be charged such a fee when purchasing so I reached out to customer support. They assured me no fee should have been charged, that they have never heard of such a thing on Us purchases, and to check with my bank….

I call my bank and they tell me that yes, since Spier Mackay is located in ON that every transaction will have a foreign transaction fee applied…

So now I’m curious, has anyone else in the US received a foreign transaction fee from Spier & Mackay?

i never noticed that happening. Its up to the bank though isnt it?

Comment

I was charged a foreign transaction fee on my first purchase with them. It depends on your bank and credit card. The card I used was a no frills, low APR with no annual fee card. I have since switched to a card with better benefits and haven't been charged any foreign transaction fees on S&M purchases.
      Geo
      Varsity Member
      Last edited by Geo; December 31, 2021, 02:57 PM.

Comment

Agreed with using a credit card to avoid the fees. Had I know there would be I definitely would have used a different card. It makes sense foreign transaction fees would be charged since they are ON based but it was odd the SM customer service rep was so certain there shouldn’t be any.

Comment

I think I have also been tagged with foreign transaction fees with S&M in the past--I've been generally careful to make any purchases with them using credit cards that waive foreign transaction fees. Separately, whenever I've made an online purchase with an international retailer, I don't think I've ever been warned that foreign transaction fees would apply. I think that would be typically on the customer to understand what policies exist for the credit card they are using.

If you go to StyleForum, you'll see that various S&M users have had clumsy experiences with S&M's customer service team, and their founder has also commented that retaining sufficient CS resources has been especially difficult during the pandemic. At the same time, whenever I've had an issue with an order, their team has always been very polite and friendly, even if it takes a little bit of effort to get an issue resolved. So I wouldn't get too worked up over the confusion on their end, if you are happy with the quality of their products at the prices offered.

Comment

I've only ever had banks charge foreign transaction fees on credit card purchases denominated in currencies other than the US dollar. Since S&M now (I believe in the beginning all transactions were in Canadian dollars) charges US dollars for purchases made by its US-based customers, I've never had a fee for anything I've purchased from them.

It its interesting to me that it is called a "foreign transaction fee." That could mean it is applied to any foreign transactions, and not just on transactions denominated in foreign currencies. I wonder if this is a new way that banks found to extract money from customers.

Comment

Working...
            X