What to wear for Zoom presentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to wear for Zoom presentation

Ok so I’ve been asked to present at my companies national sales meeting which is at the end of January. We are an educational software company and normally on the casual side of business casual when not visiting schools. This year it’s on Zoom again, if it were in person this would be at least a sport coat and slacks type of deal to present. Problem is since I last wore my dress clothing I’ve lost a ton of weight and I’m still working towards my goal weight. Since this is virtual I was thinking just a v neck and button up rather than spending money on a new sport coat. Does this make sense or should I spend the $?

Good luck at the presentation!
    Maybe if the $ is right, it's worth it. Land's End has some jackets that are well made that are on sale now for less than $100. I tried to do a search on Dappered for you for a knit/sweater blazer/swazer to recommend but came up empty, but one of those should look about the same on camera as a more constructed wool jacket.

Comment

Have you asked your boss/superior what they think is appropriate? They might tell you a sweater is acceptable but you'll only know for sure if you ask. If you must wear a sport coat, can you get away with anything you already have? I hate buying anything with the intention of only wearing once. I wouldn't spend the extra money unless there is absolutely no other option.

Comment

In my experience, dressing well in a business setting really pays off. I would recommend dressing as well as you can, particularly since it's a national meeting. I'm sure you'll be able to find a use for the sport coat again. J Crew had some in the sale section for around 100 dollars. If you're a presenter, also consider wearing a tie.

Comment

You could thrift a sport coat.

Look for a sportcoat without an overly visible pattern or texture. Tan, grey, and blue seem to work best with a variety of backgrounds.

I present regularly. Formerly, I presented a lot in person. Now, it's all Zoom. For me, it matters more how I feel about what I am wearing than what anyone else sees.

Comment

My dad always taught me to dress for the job I want, not the job I have. That puts me in the “spend the money” camp. Once impressions are made, they are very hard to change. I would go the $100 J Crew route. The nice thing is, since it’s zoom, it doesn’t have to be tailored perfectly. That should save you some dough in the short run.

Comment

Interesting responses so far. I also work in sales for a software company. Unless your company is some old stodgy company, which I doubt it is, a v neck and button up shirt will be perfectly. Honestly, that be further than a lot of presentations that I’ve seen. I’d say most people would just wear a button up, but I would feel a little underdressed with that. A good amount would wear a button up over a company branded quarter zip. That’s fine if the quarter zip is not straight out athletic wear. Personally, I’d do what you suggested - sweater over button up.

Comment

First, I think in most settings, for a zoom call, you're going to be just fine with the v-neck and shirt route. I am in the litigation field, and even for video recorded depositions, I have noticed attorneys tend not to go full suit at this point.

Second, unless you've lost more than say 50 pounds, I bet your old sport coat would look just fine on a Zoom call. You'll likely be sitting and if your camera is like most, it will only be showing the top 1/3 of your body max. It might feel loose to you, but on camera, I think it would look totally normal. You're not going to notice if its a bit loose at the waist on camera, and you can also get away with tricks such as safety pinning the sides if it feels way too lose for you.

That being said, with any luck, real life in person meetings will someday again become a thing. So you might want to find a post-holiday bargain on a nice sport coat that you can wear for years to come, and this could be a good "excuse" event. Then again, if your target weight is more than 10lbs or so less than what you're currently at, you might want to wait. (er...weight?)

The only tip I'd suggest for a Zoom presentation, stay away from micro-patterns such as houndstooth, Prince of Wales check (a personal favorite of mine), or even herringbone because it can create a weird optical illusion effect on certain computer screens which can be quite distracting.

Bottom line, wouldn't sweat it too much! Congrats on the weight loss and good luck with the presentation!

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                  The only tip I'd suggest for a Zoom presentation, stay away from micro-patterns such as houndstooth, Prince of Wales check (a personal favorite of mine), or even herringbone because it can create a weird optical illusion effect on certain computer screens which can be quite distracting.
                  Moiré effect can also occur with certain cloth weaves such as dobby weave.

Comment

Don't wear pants. That way, if things go poorly you can at least feel smug that you know something your audience doesn't.

Comment

Working...
                    X