Bayswater Peacoat - Button Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orbin View Post
    I just bought this coat a month ago but have yet to wear it. However, I'm having quite a few issues with it. My buttons are loose as well, but what my main concern is how to wear it?! I've never had a peacoat before and I'm not sure how to wear it. It sounds pretty dumb, but there are two buttons on the inside of the coat, and I notice that there are 4 buttons on the outside on the left side of the coat, and 3 buttons on the right side of the coat. Is this coat missing a button? Also, the lapels don't stay down at all...do I need to iron them down? Thanks!
    My third-from-the-top button on the right side is "loose" as well, but it looks like it's supposed to be by looking at how the button is stitched on. That's also the one I use the most. Often, it's the only button I use.

There should be 2 buttons on the inside, and 4 buttons on each outside. Which of the 4 is missing on the right outside? You sure it's not hidden under the collar?

You can button it however you want. Like I said, sometimes I only have the 3rd button buttoned. That's how JC's model wears it. If I'm not going to be taking it off soon, I'll often button the corresponding inside button, which should put less pressure on the main "loose" button. If it's colder, I'll button the 2nd button (next one up), and if it really gets cold I would button them all. If you're in a blizzard, I could see engaging the metal throat hook and even deploying the optional throat latch that's under the collar.

As for the lapels, I rather like that they don't look ironed down. I would never actually iron them, but you should be able to coax them into place, especially if you button both the 3rd and 2nd buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by kentyman View Post
      My third-from-the-top button on the right side is "loose" as well, but it looks like it's supposed to be by looking at how the button is stitched on. That's also the one I use the most. Often, it's the only button I use.

There should be 2 buttons on the inside, and 4 buttons on each outside. Which of the 4 is missing on the right outside? You sure it's not hidden under the collar?

You can button it however you want. Like I said, sometimes I only have the 3rd button buttoned. That's how JC's model wears it. If I'm not going to be taking it off soon, I'll often button the corresponding inside button, which should put less pressure on the main "loose" button. If it's colder, I'll button the 2nd button (next one up), and if it really gets cold I would button them all. If you're in a blizzard, I could see engaging the metal throat hook and even deploying the optional throat latch that's under the collar.

As for the lapels, I rather like that they don't look ironed down. I would never actually iron them, but you should be able to coax them into place, especially if you button both the 3rd and 2nd buttons.
      Thank you for responding! The button that is missing is on the right side at the very bottom. On the left side it has 4 evenly spaced buttons including the under the lapel, but on the right it has the top 3 buttons, but missing the lowest one. I looked at JC's website and both sides have four...looks like I have to call them to get a replacement. I didn't know whether or not you needed to use the inside button, but I guess like you said it takes more stress off the main button. Thanks!

Comment

Thank you for responding! The button that is missing is on the right side at the very bottom. On the left side it has 4 evenly spaced buttons including the under the lapel, but on the right it has the top 3 buttons, but missing the lowest one. I looked at JC's website and both sides have four...looks like I have to call them to get a replacement. I didn't know whether or not you needed to use the inside button, but I guess like you said it takes more stress off the main button. Thanks!
        There should be a spare button or two in a paper pouch in one of the pockets; probably the inside left pocket. Worst case, I would suggest sacrificing the top inside button and getting it sewn on the outside to take its place.

Comment

Hope you have better luck with requesting a replacement button than I did. On my old one, a button fell off after a few months of use and I couldn't find it at the time. I chatted with a rep who said they'd try to locate one for me. It wasn't until a few months later that I heard back that they couldn't send me a replacement. You might have better luck trying to exchange the coat.

Comment

I ran into this issue with my own pea coat and the fix is simple and cheap. Take the coat to your tailor and ask him/her to redo the stitching on the buttons with heavy duty nylon thread and add backing buttons on the inside of each button. The nylon thread is far more durable and the backing buttons will keep the buttons secure.

Comment

Originally posted by TomasR View Post
              I ran into this issue with my own pea coat and the fix is simple and cheap. Take the coat to your tailor and ask him/her to redo the stitching on the buttons with heavy duty nylon thread and add backing buttons on the inside of each button. The nylon thread is far more durable and the backing buttons will keep the buttons secure.
              How much did that end up costing you? I think I'll only turn to that if I notice they are getting too loose too quickly.

Comment

How much did that end up costing you? I think I'll only turn to that if I notice they are getting too loose too quickly.
                I did this and it cost me $5 bucks at the tailor.

I was missing a button and called J.Crew. I had the same experience that Mugen Power had, so I just went on eBay and picked up a set of 6 buttons for like $2 bucks.

Comment

Working...
                X