Bayswater Peacoat - Button Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayswater Peacoat - Button Issue

I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else had any similar experiences or helpful feedback. I recently purchased the J Crew Bayswater Peacoat and after only 3 wears, the primary(and only) button I was using loosened up to the point of needing to be repaired. The button is the 2nd button up from the bottom, fashioned much in the same way as the model wears the coat on J Crew's site. Is this just a quality control issue or am I putting too much strain on a single button by using it alone? I've put a great deal more strain on other coats before not seen issues such as this.

I got mine this October and after 5-8 wears, using most of the buttons (typically all but the top two), I've noticed that *all* of the buttons are loosening up a lot, and will need to be repaired (not at that point yet, but definitely this season). I would not at this point consider buttoning only one button on mine - given the way they look already I think it would be asking for trouble. A bit disappointed as well, compared to some of my cheaper jackets.

Comment

Originally posted by Ounce View Post
      I just wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else had any similar experiences or helpful feedback. I recently purchased the J Crew Bayswater Peacoat and after only 3 wears, the primary(and only) button I was using loosened up to the point of needing to be repaired. The button is the 2nd button up from the bottom, fashioned much in the same way as the model wears the coat on J Crew's site. Is this just a quality control issue or am I putting too much strain on a single button by using it alone? I've put a great deal more strain on other coats before not seen issues such as this.
      You know what? I never thought to put it in my review, but the second button definitely was way too loose immediately. I figured it was just a one-off sort of thing.

Comment

I've had the same issue. The second button actually got loose first followed by the top later. I just got the coat back from cleaners where I also had the buttons fixed... Still an awesome coat!

Comment

I just got my coat back from my tailor, he fixed the dangling button and re-did all of the others to a better spec. Thinking I should be all set now. All things considered, this is still an awesome coat.

Comment

On mine it almost seems like this is by design. The three buttons on the right are 'loose' and have about a half inch of thread between the buttons and the coat. The three buttons on the left are sewn closer to the coat with no excess thread in between. I had just ordered the coat and have worn it twice since.

Comment

I just got one as well. Mines similar, I wouldn't worry. And if they fall off just replace them with those awesome matte gold ones. stay sharp.

Comment

Mine has the exact same issue, but the last peacoat I bought had it as well. With the last one I did the same as littlenelly and had my cleaners replace the buttons. I also wear only using that one button.

Comment

I got mine at the end of last season, and it had loose buttons as well. In fact, it was missing one button!

Comment

I have one and the buttons are "loose" i.e. not tight against the fabric. I think its designed to be that way so that there is a little room for play. But I also used to have the older version from around 2004 which had smaller buttons and one came off almost immediately. Regardless its a pretty easy fix; my wife ended up reinforcing the buttons on my current one. For what its worth, my Bayswater peacoat is one of the reasons I look forward to winter.
                    ------

- Josh

Comment

I had the same problem. It annoyed me so much, I learned how to sew on buttons and re-sewed them on. It's a good skill to know, especially for any dapper gentleman.

Comment

I haven't had a chance to wear my Bayswater yet, but now I'll definitely be on the lookout for loose buttons. Might just throw a few extra loops of thread through the button as a preventative measure. Sewing buttons is about as far as my in-house tailoring skills go!

Comment

Valet has it featured here: http://www.valetmag.com/personal-sho...ndex1_top_lead
                          $255 / $165 (with extra 30% off code MUSTHAVE) at J.Crew

I like Well Spent's spectrum here: http://well-spent.com/2012/11/14/post-riposte-peacoats.

While J. Crew does make a good set of items, I think I like Schott and the others better for around the same price. The quality is definitely better in the details.

Comment

I just bought this coat a month ago but have yet to wear it. However, I'm having quite a few issues with it. My buttons are loose as well, but what my main concern is how to wear it?! I've never had a peacoat before and I'm not sure how to wear it. It sounds pretty dumb, but there are two buttons on the inside of the coat, and I notice that there are 4 buttons on the outside on the left side of the coat, and 3 buttons on the right side of the coat. Is this coat missing a button? Also, the lapels don't stay down at all...do I need to iron them down? Thanks!

Comment

30% off ends today: http://www.jcrew.com/AST/Navigation/...~~~~/87195.jsp

I wore mine today and am loving it.

Comment

Working...
                              X