All hail the sweater vest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All hail the sweater vest

I thoroughly enjoyed today’s article on the 10 types of sweaters. I don’t have the guts to try to pull of a swazer yet. But maybe I’ll get there. Enter the sweater vest. I’m a little surprised it didn’t get a nod in the article, but maybe Joe and boys are saving it for the “10 vest styles of a stylish man’s wardrobe” article. Or they don’t dig sweater vests.

But let tell you, the v-neck sweater vest - preferably thin merino or maybe cashmere for the bougie types - is the ideal middle layering piece. It fits under a suit jacket or sport coat more easily than a full sweater. Keeps the core warm, but with good heat regulation since the armpits aren’t covered. Perfect for that situation where someone has the heat up just a bit too high but it might not be appropriate or convenient to start pulling off layers. You just roll your shirtsleeves up a quarter way and you’re good to go.

I would say sweater vests sit at the same formality level as v-neck sweaters. Collared shirt is almost required, without looking very fashion-forward or just plain awkward. Great look with a tie. Make sure to tie a big, chunky knot. Less formally, I think sweater vests look great with tattersall and gingham shirts and nicely textured pants like denim or cords. Now, the vest would still be extremely functional layered over a long sleeve tee or henley for outdoor pursuits, but might look a little funny when you come inside for hot toddies. Maybe a quilted vest would look better in that situation. Anyway, there you go - sweater vests! My favorite layering piece when it starts getting chilly.

I used to wear a lot of sweater vests, but looking back, they can give off a "nerdy accountant" vibe. I've since switched to a Patagonia zip vest, although that wouldn't cut it under a sport coat/blazer.

Comment

Hmm, I just realized I used to wear them quite a bit too, but I think the only reason I don't now is bc I don't see them often when shopping and I don't specifically look for them, but yes, done right they look good and are highly functional on a cool/mild day.

Comment

They are on trend this year, and generally speaking I think they can look good. Keys are, if you're not wearing a jacket over them you have to introduce an element of artful dishevelment (rolled shirtsleeves, carefully tousled hair, maybe a couple days worth of scruff on the face) to avoid looking too much like a kid in a school photo. That said I don't own any and probably won't buy any as I don't follow every trend because I don't want to spend that much money on clothes and don't want to constantly acquire more and more clothing for environmental reasons. I guess maybe I could thrift one and that would solve both qualms because it would be cheap and I wouldn't be buying new.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I love sweater waists, they are my first choice

Comment

I appreciate the responses guys. Nerdy accountant, huh? Hadn't thought of that. Choir boy, sure. Maybe preppy. But not nerdy accountant. I don't know, is it any nerdier than Mr. Rogers' cardigan? Honestly, all vests are somewhat dangerous sartorial waters and should be handled with care. Anything too loud or patterned is liable to go off the rails into Tackyland pretty quickly. Its safest for sweater vests to stick to muted solid colors, well coordinated with the rest of the outfit. I suppose that's true of all sweaters. I rather enjoy dressing with an English country vibe, so that's what I go for. Sweater vest with tattersall shirt, a chunky knit or wool tie, tweed jacket, and cords or khakis. Or ditch the tie and tweed to take the edge off.

Comment

For me, only ones with buttons, i.e. a sleeveless cardigan, but they are very difficult to find these days, and most have a V that is way too high for my liking.

Comment

I will never forget there was a guy in my high school...years ago...that used to wear sweater vests with no shirt underneath lol! That being said, I have a couple and will pull them out occasionally. Technically, I am a nerdy accountant though.

Comment

Working...
                X