November Miami wedding - What to wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

November Miami wedding - What to wear

Hi All - I am going to a wedding in a month in Miami. The Dress code is "Black tie optional, Bold & Stylish looks encouraged". Most of my suits are tucked away in storage (pandemic). I loved midnight blue tuxes, so was thinking something along those lines, also weary about the heat in Miami in November (i run hot). I am in Venice Beach, CA and I haven't gotten dressed up in sooo long. I'd love any ideas? I was also debating just getting something from the Black Tux (their showroom is here) and buying something to add to or accent the outfit.

Hmm. I know Miami is a cut above the rest of the state but wasn't the tuxedo T shirt invented for Florida black tie? I've only seen those in classic black so if you could find one in midnight blue you'd definitely stand out from the crowd. LOL. Seriously I don't have enough experience with Miami to know what passes for a "Bold and Stylish" look there. I have no doubt that one can go "bolder" there than in many other cities but whether that would also still qualify as stylish is maybe debatable. Black tie optional probably means a suit is OK so if you have any suits that qualify as bold then maybe one of those would work? A midnight blue tux would certainly work well but finding one in a weight that's comfortable in the Miami heat and humidity might not be very easy.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I’m thinking white dinner jacket ala James Bond in Goldfinger. Or perhaps white blazer with rolled sleeves, popped collar, and perfectly cultivated five o’clock shadow.

Comment

Funny you should ask, before the Pandemic (mid Oct of 2019) my wife and I were in Miami for a wedding. The reception was outdoors and in the afternoon. I opted for a bold white and blue checkered linen blend jacket from Spier, a pair of mid blue trousers, light blue shirt, yellow and blue foulard tie and a yellow/blue paisley pocket square with woven leather loafers. I was likely the most dressed up person there besides my wife and her Dad (who's a pretty spiffy dresser, himself.)

South FL is VERY casual. We go to Lauderdale a few times a year and it is rare that I even bother with a sport coat. Chinos, a tucked in button up and boat shoes is the FL equivalent of really dressing up in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex.C View Post
          Funny you should ask, before the Pandemic (mid Oct of 2019) my wife and I were in Miami for a wedding. The reception was outdoors and in the afternoon. I opted for a bold white and blue checkered linen blend jacket from Spier, a pair of mid blue trousers, light blue shirt, yellow and blue foulard tie and a yellow/blue paisley pocket square with woven leather loafers. I was likely the most dressed up person there besides my wife and her Dad (who's a pretty spiffy dresser, himself.)

South FL is VERY casual. We go to Lauderdale a few times a year and it is rare that I even bother with a sport coat. Chinos, a tucked in button up and boat shoes is the FL equivalent of really dressing up in my experience.
          That does sound stylish. To I think your greater point, 1) the couple is not FL natives 2) most of the people are coming in from out of town, 3) the couple are stylish themselves so can't aim for the low bar.

Comment

Originally posted by stylishtry View Post

the couple are stylish themselves so can't aim for the low bar.
            Nor should you! (Fair warning: this subject strikes a nerve with me.) First, good on you for your forethought about this, because these days it seems like most people (women and men) couldn't care less about what they wear anywhere, including to special occasion events. Also, I should point out that I'm an older dude (born right at the end of the boomer era), so my personal views may not be shared by other readers.

You didn't say what time of day this wedding is taking place, but I would lean away from the midnight blue tux, especially if it's a daytime event. I would lean into the "bold and stylish" part of the dress code that was given to you—IF you feel comfortable with that. Don't go and spend a bunch of money on something, unless you know that you will be able to wear it for other occasions. Do you already own any lighter-colored suits? White or cream, light gray, even light blue. If so, start there. Do any of your suits have peak lapels? This is a perfect occasion for something like that. Same goes for a double-breasted suit, if you have one. (One of my oldest friends wore one to my wedding, and I was mad that I didn't think of doing it myself.) If not, which suit is your favorite? Which one does your SO say you look best in? Use that as your foundation. Is there a certain color that you like but don't normally wear? Maybe look for a shirt in that color, or keep the suit and shirt on the simpler side and go for a bold tie. Absolutely stuff your breast pocket with a square, maybe something in a bright and colorful pattern. Maybe you have a pair of shoes that you like a lot but don't find many occasions to wear. There's a lot of room to be expressive and fun while still being appropriately dressed up.

There was a very useful Put This On post about taking such occasions seriously and dressing appropriately for them, that of course I can't find right now. But basically, it's the most important day in the bride and groom's life, and they have asked you to share it with them, so it merits some effort. This is what I learned when I was growing up, and what I still follow.

Comment

Thanks for all the insightful comments and suggestions. Definitely feeling the double-breasted or light-colored suit suggestions. It is a 6 pm ceremony

Comment

I think that the dress code is pretty clear and more important than the location. Black Tie optional usually means a tux if you have one or a dark suit. I think that the bold and stylish opens up the possibility for different color dinner jackets and by analogy different color suits. I wouldn't go too causal or too light on the suit. I wouldn't wear a light linen suit for example.

Comment

Originally posted by stylishtry View Post

That does sound stylish. To I think your greater point, 1) the couple is not FL natives 2) most of the people are coming in from out of town, 3) the couple are stylish themselves so can't aim for the low bar.
                  Thanks! I was pretty proud of it myself.

To be clear, my buddy getting married was born in raised in NE Ohio, but his wife was a Cuban immigrant/Miami native. (who sadly now has to live through our tough winters)

Completely agree with no. 3 never aim low you might hit it.

Comment

Working...
                  X