Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wool trousers and dress shirt for going out. Is it a good look?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wool trousers and dress shirt for going out. Is it a good look?

    I like to visit nice bars (not super high end) on occasion and I'm thinking about wearing wool trousers and dress shirt with a nice belt and nice shoes.

    Is it a good look?

    I look forward to hearing your opinions!

    #2
    Not knowing what colors or patterns you have in mind and assuming everything fits correctly, I’d say that in general wool slacks and a dress shirt should look fine together. It helps to have a slender waist and a good tuck on your shirt. If you don’t, tailored jackets or sweaters smooth out your midsection and look much better. Short sleeves and/or ties are not advisable without a jacket unless you are deliberately going for a “60’s NASA engineer” look. Furthermore, I would avoid loud colors, shiny fabric, or anything that smacks of the “going out” shirt trend of yesteryear.

    Comment


      #3
      Just seconding John above. The type of outfit could work just fine depending on colors, patterns, and fit.

      Comment


        #4
        I agree with the two previous posts, of course. The shirt can't be transparent obviously, and a texture or pattern might help. A couple of other options might be :

        - jeans with the dress shirt, with or without a casual sportcoat

        - a dressy shirt that's not technically a dress shirt but works for fall and looks nice - an OCBD or a solid thinnish flannel might be nice

        - a jacket that's not a sportcoat but looks nice - I like to wear a nice fitting suede jacket with this kind of look, or a harrington or similar

        Have fun and let us know what you choose and how it goes!

        Comment


          #5
          If the goal is to look put together without looking like you're trying too hard, this works, but so does Nathan's suggestion about the jacket. Suede jacket with a collared shirt and dark, slim jeans or chinos. Taking away the jacket leaving a colored collared shirt and wool pants is less formal, but so is swapping one of the parts for something less formal.

          Comment


            #6
            I'd say wool trousers and a dress shirt is pretty much the uniform for business casual in most major cities, and you'll find plenty of people dressed the exact same way at nicer bars. Par for the course. If you want to take it up a notch, throw on a jacket. If you want to take it down a notch toward more casual, go with jeans. Avoid the loud "going out shirts" as others have said. Something like the pic below seems plenty respectable to me.

            Comment


              #7
              If you want to make this look work for you, note the two key takeaways from the image above:
              1. Roll the sleeves if you're not wearing a jacket or sweater; and
              2. Be an Extremely Handsome Man.
              You should all be able to manage at least one of the two.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by facelessghost View Post
                If you want to make this look work for you, note the two key takeaways from the image above:
                1. Roll the sleeves if you're not wearing a jacket or sweater; and
                2. Be an Extremely Handsome Man.
                You should all be able to manage at least one of the two.
                Ha! Doesn't hurt to throw on an Omega either.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
                  Not knowing what colors or patterns you have in mind and assuming everything fits correctly, I’d say that in general wool slacks and a dress shirt should look fine together. It helps to have a slender waist and a good tuck on your shirt. If you don’t, tailored jackets or sweaters smooth out your midsection and look much better. Short sleeves and/or ties are not advisable without a jacket unless you are deliberately going for a “60’s NASA engineer” look. Furthermore, I would avoid loud colors, shiny fabric, or anything that smacks of the “going out” shirt trend of yesteryear.
                  Thank you for your reply. In light of your comments I was thinking about wearing a suit without a tie. Do you think that is a good look?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by nathan miller View Post
                    I agree with the two previous posts, of course. The shirt can't be transparent obviously, and a texture or pattern might help. A couple of other options might be :

                    - jeans with the dress shirt, with or without a casual sportcoat

                    - a dressy shirt that's not technically a dress shirt but works for fall and looks nice - an OCBD or a solid thinnish flannel might be nice

                    - a jacket that's not a sportcoat but looks nice - I like to wear a nice fitting suede jacket with this kind of look, or a harrington or similar

                    Have fun and let us know what you choose and how it goes!
                    Thank you for your reply. I do see a lot of people wearing jeans and shirt but to me it somehow looks a bit off but maybe that's just me. What about wearing a suit with no tie?

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by andrewrg View Post
                      If the goal is to look put together without looking like you're trying too hard, this works, but so does Nathan's suggestion about the jacket. Suede jacket with a collared shirt and dark, slim jeans or chinos. Taking away the jacket leaving a colored collared shirt and wool pants is less formal, but so is swapping one of the parts for something less formal.
                      You've given me food for thought!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                        I'd say wool trousers and a dress shirt is pretty much the uniform for business casual in most major cities, and you'll find plenty of people dressed the exact same way at nicer bars. Par for the course. If you want to take it up a notch, throw on a jacket. If you want to take it down a notch toward more casual, go with jeans. Avoid the loud "going out shirts" as others have said. Something like the pic below seems plenty respectable to me.

                        What's your opinion on a suit without a tie but less formal shirt something with a bit of pattern and colour and nice bright socks?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by iloveshirts View Post

                          Thank you for your reply. I do see a lot of people wearing jeans and shirt but to me it somehow looks a bit off but maybe that's just me. What about wearing a suit with no tie?
                          This may just be me too, but jeans and a button up shirt NEEDS a jacket. Could be a sport coat but could be a chore coat or leather jacket etc., but it just looks so bad without an outer layer. I however am also in the camp that a shirt and wool trousers without a jacket looks pretty bad too, like a Sunday school kid who doesn’t have a jacket because he has not stopped growing yet. It’s still better than 95% of others, but its still an incomplete outfit.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Marc99 View Post

                            This may just be me too, but jeans and a button up shirt NEEDS a jacket. Could be a sport coat but could be a chore coat or leather jacket etc., but it just looks so bad without an outer layer. I however am also in the camp that a shirt and wool trousers without a jacket looks pretty bad too, like a Sunday school kid who doesn’t have a jacket because he has not stopped growing yet. It’s still better than 95% of others, but its still an incomplete outfit.
                            I Second this. A couple alternative approaches include a sweater over the shirt, or going polo with a blazer. All the jacket alternatives suggested above would also be preferable.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by iloveshirts View Post

                              What's your opinion on a suit without a tie but less formal shirt something with a bit of pattern and colour and nice bright socks?
                              In my opinion, a suit without a tie is absolutely fine. I'd be careful with the pattern and the bright socks, as you can drift into "trying too hard" territory. Depending on the pattern/color combo it can work though.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X