Alternatives for BR Factory oxford buttondowns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternatives for BR Factory oxford buttondowns

For a long time my work outfits have revolved around a selection of BR Factory oxford buttondowns (the ones labeled '100% cotton stretch oxford' or something similar, in the Grant fit). They fit really well, can be worn with the sleeves down or rolled up, have a vibe that's put-together but not as 'businessy' as a dress shirt, and are generally perfect for my purposes. Unfortunately BR is now all aboard the dumb 'untucked fit' bandwagon and doesn't seem to be selling this old standby anymore. Would love some suggestions for alternatives, preferably at the more affordable end of the price range.

They're not stretchy, but the Uniqlo and Goodthreads oxfords have a nice trim fit and what I agree is the *correct* length. And Goodthreads ships and returns free with Amazon prime, so if you're unsure there's very little risk.

Comment

+1 for Uniqlo. Slim but not too slim, works tucked & untucked, and I have some I have had for years that have held up and still look good. OCBD & merino v-neck is my uniform in the fall/winter, and they work great for that.

I'm sure someone will also recommend Spier & Mackay, one of which I got in a recent sale for under $30. It's an awesome shirt for work but definitely wouldn't wear it in a casual setting due to length, collar, and overall fit.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions, boys. Haven't bought anything from Uniqlo for quite a while but I'll check them out again. Here's hoping the industry wakes up from the untucked trend soonish...

Comment

Here's hoping the industry wakes up from the untucked trend soonish...
          Ha.....yes, I recently discovered how much better I look with a tucked in shirt.....even if just an OCBD or flannel shirt and jeans. I look a bit out of place sometimes compared to others who nearly all leave their shirts untucked, but that trend will reverse at some point, and I don't dress for other people in general.

I might suggest Charles Tyrwhitt OCBDs if you're still in the market. I get regular ads for their shirts 3 / $99 which makes them a steal. I have two and I find the quality and the fit (they have regular, slim, and extra-slim) significantly better than BR factory..

They have the added advantage over Goodthreads that they are not made in China. Personally I avoid Chinese made goods when possible not due to quality concerns, but due to slavery being woven into every aspect of the Chinese economy. (https://www.bbc.com/news/business-55319797). Even if a particular factory is 'clean' I still feel i'm supporting an economy that is propped up on the backs of millions (approximately 3.8 million according to the Global Slavery index) of slaves.

It's all up to each person and I don't judge anyone else for that choice, I just believe in being informed and the media is reluctant to call China out on these horrendous abuses.

At any rate, CT might be worth a look for you. They always have 4 / $199. making them under $50 each, but you can find them on a steeper discount frequently.

Comment

Regular Banana Republic.
            J Crew
            Gustin is really high quality if you can wait a little.

Comment

Working...
            X