I need a Style Scenario for "It's fall, but still hot as biz-alls!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a Style Scenario for "It's fall, but still hot as biz-alls!"

Okay Dappered hive mind, help me out here. The weather pulled a little head fake on me. A little fall chill was starting to peak through and I got all excited and pulled all the flannels and tweeds and woolens out of storage and then BOOM! - back to 90 degree weather. I hate dipping back into the summer wardrobe 6 weeks after Labor Day. Seersucker in October? No way! I mean, I'm gonna wear what I gots to wear stay comfortable and all. But I feel like I could be doing it better. This is the hardest time of the year to dress seasonally. Anybody got any bulletproof pro tips for looking good in a warm fall?

I think it depends on the level of dress according to your circumstance. I find tropical wool works well this time of year for dress pants or suits. In a dark color it looks appropriate in the fall but still light enough to wear when hot. I also lean on pique polos with lightweight chinos for more casual attire. I just picked up a few from Jcrew. The pique cotton hits the right balance for me this time of year when its still warm out. It's not linen, madras or some other summertime fabric but still airy.

Comment

I feel your pain, although we haven't bounced back into 90 degree weather here in the DC area it was low '80s just yesterday and highs have been 70 and above throughout this fall so far. Not exactly tweed weather or even really suit weather. So, I'm still wearing a lot of what I've worn all summer with the exception of the very coolest of days we've had so far, and even then I'm in a button up shirt not a jacket. I got no advice to offer on what to do about it style-wise, and getting into an off-style-topic discussion of why it's so warm so late in the year seems like a bad idea. There are other forums for that.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I am having the same thought in regards to this continued warm fall. I am back to working in person, after spending the previous 15 months working from home, so probably that is part of it. I'm a professor, so I am wearing a lot of polos/lightweight chinos/sneakers to teach in, which I never did in the Before Times. All other things being equal, my preferred uniform is dark wash jeans, OCBD, with either a merino wool v-neck sweater or a sportcoat, and my Strands or boots. But though we are a week into October and approaching the halfway point of the semester, that doesn't seem feasible for a while.

Comment

Thanks guys.

bassoonguy Okay, tropical wool. Good call. I wish it was easier/cheaper to find that stuff. Might be worth a splurge. Pique polos. Honestly, I don't like wearing polos. I feel like I kind of have to in the summer because nothing else really works as well in the office environment. I can't wait to ditch the polos when fall comes around. But I get you on the not linen or madras idea. Definitely a viable option.
          mark4 Dude! The mercury was definitely hitting 90 down here in Fredericksburg this weekend and my car thermo was reading 88 in Fairfax County today. So not full blown summer temps, but too hot for me. Yeah, global warming or whatever. Its not new exactly. We've had plenty of late warm weather and Indian summers before (if I can still call it that). My style plans just kind of go to pot, and I feel like there's a better way. I can plan for this better.

dancinginyourhead Thanks for the solidarity.

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
            Thanks guys.

bassoonguy Okay, tropical wool. Good call. I wish it was easier/cheaper to find that stuff. Might be worth a splurge. Pique polos. Honestly, I don't like wearing polos. I feel like I kind of have to in the summer because nothing else really works as well in the office environment. I can't wait to ditch the polos when fall comes around. But I get you on the not linen or madras idea. Definitely a viable option.
            mark4 Dude! The mercury was definitely hitting 90 down here in Fredericksburg this weekend and my car thermo was reading 88 in Fairfax County today. So not full blown summer temps, but too hot for me. Yeah, global warming or whatever. Its not new exactly. We've had plenty of late warm weather and Indian summers before (if I can still call it that). My style plans just kind of go to pot, and I feel like there's a better way. I can plan for this better.

dancinginyourhead Thanks for the solidarity.
            Feel like it was only mid-80s here in MoCo but maybe it got warmer than that. I wasn't monitoring temps regularly all day. Yeah, we get Indian summers but we haven't even come close to a frost yet this year. The past three falls, it seems like temps just stay not at full blown summer temps but well above anything resembling a cold snap until well into November. I grew up in Michigan so maybe that's normal around here but I don't think so. I mean, I've been here for almost 20 years now. Things seem different the past few years.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
            X