Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Breathable long-sleeve button down polo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breathable long-sleeve button down polo?

Not sure if they exist, but does anyone know of a lightweight or breathable long sleeve polo with a button down collar? Looking to wear them casually under a wool sweater in the winter months.

I have a couple long sleeve polos from S&M that I like a lot, but would be too warm to wear under a sweater. Likewise, the Uniqlo airism polos are great, but the short sleeves and a Shetland wool sweater on top makes my arms feel like fire ants are on them.

Does Uniqlo make long sleeve button down polos? Does anyone else make a breathable long sleeve button down polo?

Huckberry’s Flint and Tinder Airknit long sleeve polos are super light and breathable. They seem to be sold out now, but there may be a restock this year. My only concern with a lightweight polo, would be the collars tend to not be as strong and may get crushed under a heavy sweater.

Comment

Banana Republic does a long-sleeve version of their Luxe Touch polos, which use a really fine cotton fabric. However, that smooth textile is also delicate so if the sweater is rough it may cause damage (for example the shirt showed broken threads at the lap from a seatbelt).

Comment

Those Rhone Delta Pique polos that won best in show in Joe's polo round up have hidden button down collars and come in long sleeves.

Comment

I was gonna rec the Rhone, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
            Those Rhone Delta Pique polos that won best in show in Joe's polo round up have hidden button down collars and come in long sleeves.
            This. I now own a handful of the short sleeve polos and will be buying the long sleeve ones here soon. They're fantastic and have replaced Under Armor in my line up.

Comment

Huckberry’s Flint and Tinder Airknit long sleeve polos
              Banana Republic does a long-sleeve version of their Luxe Touch polos
              Do these have button-down collars? I'm not seeing that.

Comment

Originally posted by Marc99 View Post
                Does Uniqlo make long sleeve button down polos? Does anyone else make a breathable long sleeve button down polo?
                They do make a nice long sleeve polo in thin merino wool, and it's nice, but it's not button down collar. But it does look very nice under a sportcoat or with a suit.

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-ext...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Comment

Originally posted by JT10000 View Post
                  Do these have button-down collars? I'm not seeing that.
                  With BR the button-down collar is inconsistently applied. Some of the Luxe Touch polos have them, some don't, and last time I looked there was no mention in the item title or a way to filter by collar type. I think I had to look at the photos of each style variation when I bought mine.

Comment

I'm curious, and I may be sidetracking this conversation a bit, but why would you prefer a polo under a sweater to a button down collar dress shirt (OCBD or otherwise)? It seems to me that it might be a bit difficult to pull off, and may smother you. Even if you find a thin, breathable polo, odds are an ordinary cotton dress shirt with a button down collar will almost always be thinner, and will achieve essentially the same look. I think that's why you often see the dress shirt under a sweater, but rarely see the polo under a sweater, but maybe I'm missing something!

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                      I'm curious, and I may be sidetracking this conversation a bit, but why would you prefer a polo under a sweater to a button down collar dress shirt (OCBD or otherwise)?
                      Since the Rhone polos are roughly $100 per, I’m probably going to just stick with a linen, cotton linen, or tattersall shirt underneath. My intention mostly revolved around trying to lower the level of formality while still covering my neck if it’s Shetland wool rather than merino or geelong. I enjoy chinos and a crewneck wool sweater in the winter, even on weekends.

Comment

My intention mostly revolved around trying to lower the level of formality while still covering my neck if it’s Shetland wool rather than merino or geelong. I enjoy chinos and a crewneck wool sweater in the winter, even on weekends.
                        I gotcha, I agree with you on the Shetland wool. I like the look but it's itchy. I have a stable of older/damaged dress shirts I use strictly for under sweater used. One thing I might recommend, try hand washing and soaking your Shetland wool sweaters in hair conditioner. I know that sounds weird, but it really softens them up a bit. Dry cleaning tends to make them more and more itchy in my experience. Check the label first of course!

Comment

Not sure if they exist, but does anyone know of a lightweight or breathable long sleeve polo with a button down collar? Looking to wear them casually under a wool sweater in the winter months.

I have a couple long sleeve polos from S&M that I like a lot, but would be too warm to wear under a sweater. Likewise, the Uniqlo airism polos are great, but the short sleeves and a Shetland wool sweater on top makes my arms feel like fire ants are on them.

Try Reiss or Fred Perry, personally I'm not a fan of button down collars on polo shirts, I would look at a Merino Knit from John Smedley and wear an undershirt instead of the sweater on top

Comment

https://www.charlestyrwhitt.com/us/s..._colour_swatch

These may be worth a look as well.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I’ve settled for just wearing less formal button downs I already own unless Uniqlo decides to add long sleeves to their Airism polos.

The mercantized cotton polos have a sheen to them, IMO. Not attracted to them. I also think merino looks flat as an outer layer. I wear merino in the office sometimes under a sportcoat, but outside of work I’m all about a cozy sweater with some texture.

Really, thank you all for weighing in. I appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                              X