Tie with suit separates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tie with suit separates?

I'm thinking both DO you and SHOULD you: wear a tie with suit separates? Is it appropriate? Is it harder to line up the elements (tie, shirt, jacket, pants) when the jacket and pants are different (when there are more elements)? Is suit separates a good place NOT to wear a tie? What do you like, which do you prefer?

This is good: https://putthison.com/how-to-do-busi...ooking-like-a/

Comment

If you are talking about odd-jacket/trouser combinations, yes absolutely! Such outfits lend themselves well to fun, less formal ties such as knits, chunky wool, rep stripe, etc. Matching isn't hard. An easy way is to pick out a secondary or tertiary color in the outfit, for example a burgundy stripe in a check pattern on the shirt or sportcoat. Then make that color the main color of the tie. Or even a solid tie. If you have a blue shirt, you can never go wrong with a solid navy tie, preferably in textured fabric like grenadine, knit silk, or wool.

If you're talking about mixing suit parts, like a navy coat with gray trousers, I guess it can be done. Ordinarily, I think it looks a little amateurish when its very obvious that you're mixing up suit parts, like a gabardine navy jacket with gabardine gray trousers. But if you mix in some different fabrics, like flannel gray trousers with the navy suit jacket, it works better. I would aim for some contrast; navy and charcoal aren't very good together. I would also avoid pin stripes, especially the jacket. For a tie, I would use the guidance above. Again, the closer you hue to a sportcoat or blazer with odd pants combo, the better.

Comment

What Tankerjohn said.

Comment

Ditto TankerJohn but I'll add that it's a common mistake that I only recently learned about. My early journey menswear veered toward extremes: suits versus smart casual. That bridge between suits and smart casual was lost upon me so as my workplace started to trend away from suits on a daily basis - even before the pandemic - I was at a lost on how to fill the gap. I tried the chinos and blazer combo but it looked sloppy. It wasn't until I discovered the odd jacket and trouser combination from other menswear writers like Permanent Style and PTO that I was able to bridge that divide between formal business wear and smart casual. Now my work wardrobe has been almost entirely revamped with a collection of odd trousers and jackets. If you're struggling with the same issue, the PTO article otoba linked to is a great starting point. Here are a few others that might help:

"How to wear separate jackets and trousers"
          https://www.permanentstyle.com/2013/...-trousers.html

"Filling the gaps: six pairs of trousers"
          https://www.permanentstyle.com/2018/...-trousers.html

"Building a basic trouser wardrobe"
          https://putthison.com/building-a-bas...user-wardrobe/
          Last edited by garryowen47; September 16, 2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post
            I'm thinking both DO you and SHOULD you: wear a tie with suit separates? Is it appropriate? Is it harder to line up the elements (tie, shirt, jacket, pants) when the jacket and pants are different (when there are more elements)? Is suit separates a good place NOT to wear a tie? What do you like, which do you prefer?
            Suits and Seperates are two different things, you shouldn't really wear a suit jacket with jeans for example.

If you want to wear a sports jacket/blazer with odd pants and add a tie that's fine, but I would maybe look for a tie that's a bit more casual depending on the texture of the jacket

I like to wear a knitted tie with a tweed jacket for example

I think generally a tie always looks better with a tailored jacket, but a knit/roll neck or even a good T-Shirt can work too

Comment

Working...
            X