Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best affordable side tab work pants/trousers?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Best affordable side tab work pants/trousers?

    really want side tab pants without paying a small fortune. Welcome any recommendations. thanks!

    #2
    Spier & Mackay has some OTR trousers with side tabs for ~$100. They make some of the best fitting pants I've ever worn.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by msanchez0125 View Post
      Spier & Mackay has some OTR trousers with side tabs for ~$100. They make some of the best fitting pants I've ever worn.
      they're also 100 bucks a pair haha. I was hoping something closer to $50/pair

      Comment


        #4
        I was also going to recommend Spier & Mackay. I honestly don't think you'll find them cheaper. You could buy a pair of your favorite fitting pants with an extra few inches in the inseam. Have a tailor hem them and use the excess fabric to sew in side tabs. I've done this with my last two suits so I know for sure it can be done. Might end up costing the same as the S&M pants in the long run though.

        Comment


          #5
          I've looked pretty hard for the same thing, and concur, S&M is likely going to be your best bet. I agree $100 is a bit much, but if you really want the tabs, it'll cost a bit more. If you need to justify it to yourself, it's still about the same amount as a pair of $50 trousers and a belt.

          Comment


            #6
            I'm afraid that type of sartorial detail is really hard to find OTR. Same for things like single pleat, 3-roll-2 buttoning, ticket pocket, etc.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
              I'm afraid that type of sartorial detail is really hard to find OTR. Same for things like single pleat, 3-roll-2 buttoning, ticket pocket, etc.
              or you could try... Spier and McKay. They have every one of those things available for relatively reasonable to the quality prices. I'm honestly not sure why anyone shops anywhere else for tailored clothing. Not SuSu, not J.Crew, not Bonobos (although their sportcoats are great.)

              There is simply (in my opinion) doing more correctly in the menswear world right now. Hopefully they can keep it up with supply chain/shipping issues. I'm getting the sneaking suspicion I might not fit back into some of my 40R suits once (if) I shed the pandemic weight. Wish I was one of those "I'm nervous and didn't eat" fells *cough Joe cough*

              Edited to add: SM does offer a more narrow fit profile. I'm relatively average besides a barrel chest (thanks Dad) so I can wear their stuff pretty easily. If you're really muscular or really tall and lean, you might have some issues. Probably came off a bit peevish above, apologies.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Alex.C View Post

                I'm honestly not sure why anyone shops anywhere else for tailored clothing.
                Totally agree, hope they keep doing what they're doing.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by CK83 View Post

                  Totally agree, hope they keep doing what they're doing.
                  BUT. They're killing my wallet.

                  That new seed stitch sweater? Wool field jackets? Ugh,

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Ha! My wife does NOT hope they keep doing what they're doing. Back on the topic of the OP, I did pick up a pair of their high rise side tab, single pleat trousers the other day on sale for $118. I can report back once I receive them, but I'm sure they'll be spot on as usual.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Gods, those field jackets are tempting. Only two problem is that they're tweed, which doesn't do well against the soaking rain my area gets, and the lower pockets don't seem to have a side entry.

                      Why is it so few winter coats make provision for keeping your hands warm? Hand-warmer pockets on peacoats are a rarity, and flap pockets the rule on everything in the classic styles. Especially irritating when the front pockets are patch pockets as they are here, which would make concealing a side-entry pocket behind the patch a trivial matter.

                      These are modern interpretations of classic designs, not historical recreations. I'm not riding a horse, farming a field or carrying a rifle, blast it, so give me someplace comfortable to put my hands!

                      Banana Republic, I think, had a field jacket in dark olive green Melton wool with the hidden slash pockets a few years ago. Unfortunately by the time I came across it they were sold out of my size. Haven't found anything similar since then.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I'm honestly not sure why anyone shops anywhere else for tailored clothing. Not SuSu, not J.Crew, not Bonobos
                        I'd have to use their MTM service as their OTR cuts wouldn't fit me, so I haven't gotten anything from them. Keeping me from their MTM service? Luxire.

                        If you know your measurements, you should be able to find what you're looking for at Luxire with about the same price / value as S&M. I have some navy linen pants with side tab, single reverse pleat, and some other details I wanted - $99 with free shipping, and they made them to my measurements. They arrived at my house in 10 days and were perfect. I've had really good luck with Luxire.

                        As I say, if you know your size / measurements I would highly recommend.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I know it doesnt fit the budget but i cant recommend S&M enough.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Alex.C View Post

                            or you could try... Spier and McKay. They have every one of those things available for relatively reasonable to the quality prices. I'm honestly not sure why anyone shops anywhere else for tailored clothing. Not SuSu, not J.Crew, not Bonobos (although their sportcoats are great.)

                            There is simply (in my opinion) doing more correctly in the menswear world right now. Hopefully they can keep it up with supply chain/shipping issues. I'm getting the sneaking suspicion I might not fit back into some of my 40R suits once (if) I shed the pandemic weight. Wish I was one of those "I'm nervous and didn't eat" fells *cough Joe cough*

                            Edited to add: SM does offer a more narrow fit profile. I'm relatively average besides a barrel chest (thanks Dad) so I can wear their stuff pretty easily. If you're really muscular or really tall and lean, you might have some issues. Probably came off a bit peevish above, apologies.
                            Ah, Spier and MacKay... sigh... As you correctly note in your edit, alas S&M sizing does not work for the more corpulent among us, myself included. Most retailers go up to size 50 or 52 jackets and 42 or 44 pants before jumping up to "Big and Tall", but S&M maxs out at 46" chests and 38" waists. I heartily endorse it for those whom it fits. I have been tempted to try S&M's MTM, but its not nearly the smoking deal of their OTR offerings. I am continually on the hunt for the "S&M for big guys", but frankly it doesn't exist. The best I have found is to cherry pick on sale stuff from Brooks Brothers or Hart Schaffner Marx.

                            P.S. Don't forget the "a" in "Mac" - I have some familial affiliation with Clan MacKay and I assure you that my distant cousins would be most insistent upon the proper Scottish spelling Fun fact: the phrase "the real McCoy" was originally "the real MacKay" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_real_McCoy

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by nathan miller View Post

                              I'd have to use their MTM service as their OTR cuts wouldn't fit me, so I haven't gotten anything from them. Keeping me from their MTM service? Luxire.

                              If you know your measurements, you should be able to find what you're looking for at Luxire with about the same price / value as S&M. I have some navy linen pants with side tab, single reverse pleat, and some other details I wanted - $99 with free shipping, and they made them to my measurements. They arrived at my house in 10 days and were perfect. I've had really good luck with Luxire.

                              As I say, if you know your size / measurements I would highly recommend.
                              I need to check that out! Thanks.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X