Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watch Out When Buying/Recommending Allen Edmonds for Shoes

Watch Out When Buying/Recommending Allen Edmonds for Shoes

Maybe I never noticed before--maybe it's not new--but Allen Edmonds is now selling cemented construction dress shoes that having stitching on them that make them look welted. Imported from some undisclosed place. For $300--a price point where you can generally find decent Goodyear welted shoes

Wow--I can't make the link work--a weird redirect--the Wilder Venetian Slip-On Loafer is definitely cemented. But I can't make the link work--it keeps redirecting.

https://www.allenedmonds.com
    Last edited by mebejoseph; September 10, 2021, 01:43 PM.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

That most anything imported also seems to be cemented for Allen Edmonds has been quietly circulating for some time now, but the reviews caught my eye.

Every review from July 21, 2021 on was originally written for Influenster.com after receiving the shoes for free. And all of these free product reviews are among the most positive (I can recall one four-star and the rest five-star). These Influenster reviews, surprisingly, seem to be written by real people and even contain criticisms and caveats not reflected in the five-star ratings.

Similar Influenster review patterns showed up on the other casual shoes I looked at.

I poked around a bit and noticed that the dress shoes don't seem to contain any imported designs, while the casual category is replete with them. However, many of these imported shoes are listed as being made with corner stitched construction (though I can't find an explanation for the term it shows up in other brands) and recraftable.
    Last edited by Galcobar; September 10, 2021, 05:07 AM.

Comment

Don't think those shoes are cemented although they are imported. The description says 360 Bench Welt and recraftable. You used to be able to tell the imported shoes because the insole was stamped with "ae" instead spelling out "Allen Edmonds" but that doesn't look to be the case anymore. To Galcobar's point, the inferior shoes seem to be limited to their more casual lines. Although not all of their imported shoes are bad and/or cemented. The popular Sea Island loafers are imported if I'm not mistaken. That's a shame about the reviews though. Seems sketchy.

Comment

Sorry--that was the wrong link--a weird redirect--the Wilder Venetian Slip-On Loafer is definitely cemented. But I can't make the link work--it keeps redirecting.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...wilder&start=1

Originally posted by Geo View Post
        Don't think those shoes are cemented although they are imported. The description says 360 Bench Welt and recraftable. You used to be able to tell the imported shoes because the insole was stamped with "ae" instead spelling out "Allen Edmonds" but that doesn't look to be the case anymore. To Galcobar's point, the inferior shoes seem to be limited to their more casual lines. Although not all of their imported shoes are bad and/or cemented. The popular Sea Island loafers are imported if I'm not mistaken. That's a shame about the reviews though. Seems sketchy.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by mebejoseph View Post
          Sorry--that was the wrong link--a weird redirect--the Wilder Venetian Slip-On Loafer is definitely cemented. But I can't make the link work--it keeps redirecting.

$200 for fluffy slippers they have at the mall seems a bit much

Comment

Every time I click on the link it directs me to a different pair of shoes. Weird. Anyway, I checked out those loafers and, yup, definitely a fake welt and cement constructions. That's a shame.

Comment

More infuriating is that their courtside sneakers are now available in a B width... I always have trouble with that style fitting me but $250 is a big ask. Thank God they don't offer a gum sole or id really be in trouble.

Comment

Working...
              X