X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tweed Sport Coats

Decent Brands $100 - $200 range

IMHO, your best bet will be Ebay & luck...know your measurements

If shopping for new, it very much depends on what you're looking for. For my definition of decent, I would be looking at end of season, heavy discount sales from (a couple suggestions):
    - J.Crew, collaboration w/ Abraham Moon
    - J. Peterman - can be odd/interesting cuts and more often is sized for the middle-aged dad-bod; but in my experience well tailored for of the rack with quality fabric.

I'm sure others w/ wider knowledge witll jump in w/ longer list of suggestions

Comment

I was just going to post the same about eBay. As a matter of fact, last week I did a search for brown tweed and gray tweed sport coats in my size and found J Crew, J Press and a few vintage Harris Tweed jackets in that range.

Comment

In that price range you're not going to find a super brand except on deep discount, buuuuut

I'm pretty happy with the tweed suit I got made by Studio Suits. It's a MTM place in Mumbai. If you've done made to measure over the internet (or you're OK with giving it a shot at this price) It's good stuff. You can customize the details like lining, number of buttons, lapel size, etc, OR You can just go with their "Off the rack" templates. When you select a size, choose either your size or "Custom made." Your regular size will be OTR, Custom Made will prompt you for your measurements. I've gotten both MTM and OTR suits from them and I'm happy with the fit. If you get MTM and you need further alterations, they'll spot you the difference if you send them your tailor's bill.

Here's the tweed jacket I got for them, right in that price range at $145. Really wide selection of fabrics, some for an upcharge. I got the "vintage herringbone grey tweed" and I liked it so much, I ordered OTR pants to go with it. The jacket is breathable so I can wear it all fall, but the whole suit is warm enough that in the winter, I don't need an overcoat many days, just hat gloves and scarf.

I can't say how pleasantly surprised I was with the product.

https://www.studiosuits.com/custom_j...l_tweed_jacket

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
          Decent Brands $100 - $200 range
          J Crew's Moon Mills sport coats drop into this range sometimes when on steep discount but you'll probably have to wait until like December before that happens. Harris Tweed wears like iron so buying used on Ebay is a good way to go but it's very hard to tell how the jacket is cut in photos - i.e. whether it's fuller cut or more tailored. If you know the brand and their cuts (e.g. Brooks Brothers standard Madison cut is full cut but the Regent fit is pretty tailored and the Milano fit is VERY tailored). So if you find a Brooks Brothers one online that still has the label identifying the fit it's easier to get something that approaches the cut you're looking for.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Wait for another jcrew 40 or 50% off. This one was under $200 less than a day ago and was posted in a Sales Tripod:

https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens/categor...26038c0a1c0e13

Comment

A man after my own heart! Finding real tweed on the cheap can be done, but does take a little effort. I'll second the other recommendations for shopping sales, J. Crew, etc. But also, check your local thrifts stores, especially the ones on the more upscale side of town. Tweed is the the perfect thriftable fabric as it wears well and even looks better with some age. As already mentioned, Ebay and Poshmark are other good sources. Jos. A Bank did a line of sportcoats a few years ago with Harris Tweed and I've seen those pop up at very good prices. I have a couple myself, and they look great. I mean they're basic two-button, center-vent jobs and devoid of custom touches or sartorial flourishes. But the tweed is thick and fabulous as Harris Tweed should be. Older tweed jackets are mostly on the boxier side, but I'm sure your tailor could nip it to your liking without much trouble.

Comment

For the more affordable option, definitely the J.Crew Abraham Moon Blazers (as others have already related). I have had the brown one for a few years and it is a classic.
                Spend a little more, though, and get a Spier and Mackay one! The fit and quality is definitely a step up from J. Crew, and they definitely have some amazing colors. I've got two Tweed blazers from S&M and they are probably two of my favorite clothing items I own (next to my Tweed over coats from S&M). :-)

Comment

Working...
                X