Hair gel recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hair gel recommendation

My favorite hair gel, Jack Black Hard Body Sculpting Hair Gel was discontinued and I've run out of my supply of it.

Any one have a recommendation for a medium hold gel with no alcohol? The Jack Black one I used was advertised as a firm hold but in reality I found it to be more of a medium hold. I don't care for their other gel. They keep discontinuing the ones I like which has been frustrating.

Thanks.

I used to use Paul Mitchell tea tree oil gel and that sounds similar. Now, I'm in a game of chicken with my hair: "if you keep threatening to leave me I'm going to strike first and shave my head..."

Comment

I really like my Imperial Classic Pomade. No shine. Great hold. Nice price. Lasts forever.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
        I really like my Imperial Classic Pomade. No shine. Great hold. Nice price. Lasts forever.
        x2. Imperial's products are great. The Classic Pomade is what I use, but definitely has a strong hold.

If you're looking for a medium hold, their Fiber or Matte products may be a better fit.

Comment

This might be too much hold for what you're looking for, but I really dig this stuff: https://www.amazon.com/Layrite-CEMEN...06111645&psc=1

It's a hair clay, all matte, it's still slightly pliable to me even though it says high hold. Little dab does the trick. Oh and a bonus, kinda smells like donuts.

Comment

It's not a gel but I've always been a fan of the American Crew Forming Cream (the stuff with the green label). Another I've discovered more recently is I was ordering some cartridges from Harry's and noticed they had some hair care products and took a flyer on a jar of their Texturizing Putty. It's not a gel and I wasn't sure what to expect but it's decent stuff for the price. A little thicker than the American Crew forming cream but maybe not as much hold as you're looking for (then again I use a really small amount for some texture and definition rather than firm hold).
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I remember (back when I had more hair) and my hair gel got discontinued, I swapped to Murray's Pomade and used it through college. I'm a big fan.

Comment

I'm a huge fan of Layrite - the matte cream is my go-to. Matte finish, good hold, water-soluble, and it smells great!

Comment

Originally posted by TheJasonaissance View Post
                  I remember (back when I had more hair) and my hair gel got discontinued, I swapped to Murray's Pomade and used it through college. I'm a big fan.
                  Yeah buddy! That's the hard core stuff right there! I've used Murray's Superior, but the Super Light works a lot better on my thin, whimpy white guy hair.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
                    It's not a gel but I've always been a fan of the American Crew Forming Cream (the stuff with the green label). Another I've discovered more recently is I was ordering some cartridges from Harry's and noticed they had some hair care products and took a flyer on a jar of their Texturizing Putty. It's not a gel and I wasn't sure what to expect but it's decent stuff for the price. A little thicker than the American Crew forming cream but maybe not as much hold as you're looking for (then again I use a really small amount for some texture and definition rather than firm hold).
                    This is my go-to. You can also get forming cream from a brand called "Fix Your Lid," which may be a Target house brand--to me, it's pretty much indistinguishable from American Crew, except it costs less and the branding is more obnoxious.

Comment

Thanks all. I went with American Crew light hold styling gel. It seems to do the job, smells good and without any "crunch".

Comment

A little late to this but for anyone's future reference, I'm really into Layrite's pomades, either the original or the superhold. Smells good and pretty decent hold for something that's water-based and washes out well.

Comment

Another layrite vote. its great and washes out easily. also one of the more economical ones.

Comment

Working...
                          X