Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back from a long hiatus

Hi Gents.

I am back form a long hiatus (over a year) and can now get my head back into the game.

We recently relocated to Florida from New York so I have some serious shopping to do and could I could use some advice. Going from a four season location to one which basically has two, summer and not summer, lol I find my collection of attire needs to be expanded in many areas and unfortunately retired in others. I'l really miss my pea coat

I'm retired, so the need for business attire is only the occasional nice dinner or event but I could use some help in the casual and business casual area. I refuse to regress to every day t shirts and shorts although it does have it's appeal when its ninety degrees with 85% humidity.

Thanks.

Ron

Fellow Floridian, been here 20+ years. Some of which I’ve been stylish.
    My advice:
    Pique polos are your friend. Techy ones aren’t as good for a myriad of reasons, most of them are just my opinion.
    If your blazer has a lining, you’re doing it wrong. Think of the traditional warm weather fabrics like seersucker, linen, hopsack. It’s only “cold” a handful of times during the year so you can happily keep one or two from your old wardrobe. I mean you could keep them all, it’s your closet. You just won’t really need them.
    Loafers are your friend. Think low cut, woven, etc. You may be tempted by suede, this is a mistake. It rains often and suddenly. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tiptoed through parking lots trying to preserve my suede shoes. Boat shoes are worn by almost everyone. Forget what you’ve been told; this is Florida, and technically you’re always near a body of water.
    I don’t wear socks often, when I do they’re loafer socks. It’s all about reducing layers.
    I’m confident you can figure out pants on your own with the above advice.

Welcome! You chose the absolute hottest time of the year to relocate! Stay inside and drink lots of water.
    You’ll need to choose a college football team now. I’m partial to UCF since I went there. We’re on the upswing so you can get in early. FSU is fine. UF is pretentious and UM fans are obnoxious. USF doesn’t count, they’re barely above a community college. FAU is the unexpected choice and I’d respect it.

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
      You may be tempted by suede, this is a mistake. It rains often and suddenly. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tiptoed through parking lots trying to preserve my suede shoes.

https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post

Or just let them get wet and who cares. Suede is not made of sugar

Comment

Fellow Floridian, been here 20+ years. Some of which I’ve been stylish.
          My advice:
          Pique polos are your friend. Techy ones aren’t as good for a myriad of reasons, most of them are just my opinion.
          If your blazer has a lining, you’re doing it wrong. Think of the traditional warm weather fabrics like seersucker, linen, hopsack. It’s only “cold” a handful of times during the year so you can happily keep one or two from your old wardrobe. I mean you could keep them all, it’s your closet. You just won’t really need them.
          Loafers are your friend. Think low cut, woven, etc. You may be tempted by suede, this is a mistake. It rains often and suddenly. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve tiptoed through parking lots trying to preserve my suede shoes. Boat shoes are worn by almost everyone. Forget what you’ve been told; this is Florida, and technically you’re always near a body of water.
          I don’t wear socks often, when I do they’re loafer socks. It’s all about reducing layers.
          I’m confident you can figure out pants on your own with the above advice.

Welcome! You chose the absolute hottest time of the year to relocate! Stay inside and drink lots of water.
          You’ll need to choose a college football team now. I’m partial to UCF since I went there. We’re on the upswing so you can get in early. FSU is fine. UF is pretentious and UM fans are obnoxious. USF doesn’t count, they’re barely above a community college. FAU is the unexpected choice and I’d respect it.
          UF fans are only pretentious because we know we are better than everyone else.

I agree with most of the above….lighter thinner materials like linen or linen/cotton, no socks, and shorts (yes shorts) but done well with a polo or poplin button down. A collar will elevate you above the average person in the south. Concentrate on the weight and weave of the materials and try to stick to natural fabrics. I am not as concerned with suede as they do pretty darn well with rain as long as they are air dried. They breath better than calf. Also try woven slip ons like Rivieras. Anything you can do to promote airflow and as few layers as possible. I had a sales guy at Sid Mashburn comment one time that at some point, no matter what you do, you are going to sweat. You can walk outside naked and you will still sweat. So accept it.

Comment

Hey at least one is pretentious and the other obnoxious. I went to Michigan State, and our UM fans are both obnoxious and pretentious.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. They are much appreciated and will be using many of the suggestions.

I've also decided it is the perfect opportunity to start a nice loafer collection

I purchased a pair of AE Lake Forest factory second and like the look. They are my first shoes using the 2042 last. My feet measure 10 and 10.5 on a Brannock device so it is always a struggle getting both shoes to ft well. My wife didn't like my idea of buying two pairs and using one from each

So of course one shoe fits snugger than the other. Both are very snug in the fore foot area but not uncomfortably so. The sides don't gap when I walk but one heel is snugger than the other. They don't slide off when walking but there is some very slight movement in the heel on the larger one. I tried them on with some average weight socks, indoors where it was cool.

I'm thinking in the heat where my feet will probably swell and sweat they will probably be just fine and I can fine tune the fit using various thickness socks. Thoughts?

Oh and I've decided to root for UF, pretentious as that might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post

Oh and I've decided to root for UF, pretentious as that might be.
                Good choice!

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                  I purchased a pair of AE Lake Forest factory second and like the look. They are my first shoes using the 2042 last. My feet measure 10 and 10.5 on a Brannock device so it is always a struggle getting both shoes to ft well. My wife didn't like my idea of buying two pairs and using one from each

So of course one shoe fits snugger than the other. Both are very snug in the fore foot area but not uncomfortably so. The sides don't gap when I walk but one heel is snugger than the other. They don't slide off when walking but there is some very slight movement in the heel on the larger one. I tried them on with some average weight socks, indoors where it was cool.
                  Maybe get the larger size and try using a tongue and/or heel pad in the looser foot? Personally I find overly tight loafers in hot climate very unbearable.

Comment

Ron I have the same problem with shoes. It honestly depends on the footwear and how expensive they are. Cheaper shoes I ignore it and wear thicker socks or a cheap Dr. Scholes. The expensive boots and since I have high arches, I can get away with smaller sizes that fits more comfortable because I put in the expensive custom inserts.
                    I am still working on loafers but smaller size seems to work better.

Comment

Originally posted by facelessghost View Post

Or just let them get wet and who cares. Suede is not made of sugar

For just rain/water sure. I spray mine for stain prevention more than anything. If the liquid can't soak in (or is at least seriously delayed) the chances of a stain are far less. And with light gray strandmoks and the stone AExMD chukkas, for example, that's a really nice peace of mind to have for 10 bucks.
                      https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Working...
                      X