Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's (24Aug) Style Scenario: BBQ

2 thoughts on today's Style Scenario:
    1. wow, COVID/WFH culture has made us all desperate! That's a really casual outfit for DAPPERED to post. It's basically shorts and a t-shirt. I do get that he's wearing a nice watch and the t-shirt has buttons, but the Huarache sandals are really the only aspect of interest.
    2. Probably just me and my sloppy eating, but I would never wear that white(ish) t-shirt to a BBQ. It's a sauce staining waiting to happen.
    A casual yet intentional look for summertime cookout. Average item price = $46.

I love that your username is something that is related to this post

I don't disagree. Still, when it's hot AF I've felt well-dressed wearing super casual (but well fitting clothes) with one really nice thing, like a nice watch or nice shoes. This almost made me want to buy the Huaraches and sing the Beach Boys song.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post

I don't disagree. Still, when it's hot AF I've felt well-dressed wearing super casual (but well fitting clothes) with one really nice thing, like a nice watch or nice shoes. This almost made me want to buy the Huaraches and sing the Beach Boys song.
      Yeah I don't have a problem with the look for a summer barbecue...when I go to, or host, a barbecue I'm pretty much always in a T shirt and shorts and either Chaco sandals or Allbirds slip ons. Not a real elevated look but...it's a barbecue. It's not an occasion that calls for an elevated look. As long as the fit is dialed in it looks good, and appropriate for the occasion.
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by hauttedogge View Post
        2 thoughts on today's Style Scenario:
        1. Probably just me and my sloppy eating, but I would never wear that white(ish) t-shirt to a BBQ. It's a sauce staining waiting to happen.
        I've stained the ever-livin' sh!t out of all colors of clothes. I'm not sure white is any worse off, it's just a fun sitcom trope.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewrg View Post
          HA! that was a good for a chuckle. This has been my handle since I first got online in the mid-90's for chess.com and March Madness brackets, just a spur of the moment bad pun...

Comment

Originally posted by TheJasonaissance View Post
            it's just a fun sitcom trope.
            ....unfortunately it's also a fact of my real, non-virtual life...having too much stomach on an obscenely long trunk probably doesn't help with avoiding sauce droppings.

Comment

Sounds like good manners to me. I know the word BBQ comes with different meanings depending on where you are from, for me it’s more of a type of sauce, but isn’t just good manners to have sauce all over you and need a role of paper towels. Kinda of proving you like the food.

Originally posted by hauttedogge View Post

....unfortunately it's also a fact of my real, non-virtual life...having too much stomach on an obscenely long trunk probably doesn't help with avoiding sauce droppings.

Comment

Just curious, what's everyone's definition of BBQ? Growing up in NC, if you say BBQ that usually refers to the food itself, whole-hog pulled pork with either a vinegar-based sauce (eastern NC) or tomato-based sauce (western NC). If it's hamburgers and hotdogs, etc we usually call that a "cookout" or "grilling".

Comment

Makes sense. CA had no real BBQ growing up, but when we "had a barbecue," we were doing what the Mid-Atlantic region (where I live now) calls a cookout.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJasonaissance View Post
                    Just curious, what's everyone's definition of BBQ? Growing up in NC, if you say BBQ that usually refers to the food itself, whole-hog pulled pork with either a vinegar-based sauce (eastern NC) or tomato-based sauce (western NC). If it's hamburgers and hotdogs, etc we usually call that a "cookout" or "grilling".
                    Here in the Midwest, BBQ is any meal where you’ve cooked it on a grill, and it typically means you’ve invited others outside your household. No real BBQ tradition here in the northern Midwest; you have to hit St Louis and then places further west & south to get bbq traditions….

Comment

St. Louis here. If you're going to a BBQ, it's the same as the rest of the Midwest. It just means a meal (meat) cooked on the grill. If you are going out to get BBQ at a restaurant, it's slow smoked usually with a sweet/spicy BBQ sauce.

Comment

TheJasonaissance Man I lived in NC for 10 years and could never get use to NC bbq. Not bad and still make my own, yes both types, just could never get use to it being BBQ. Though I hate hush puppies being fingers.
                        My family is from all over so we always used sweet and smoky bbq sauce but used the term BBQ and grilling interchangeably. Kinda odd mix.

andrewg I am laughing at the California has no bbq comment. My grandfather is always making and talking about Santa Maria-style barbecue. He claims it’s very famous but almost all the people I have talked to never know anything about it.

Comment

Santa Maria BBQ is just grilled steak
                          andrewrg is right that here in CA most people are referring to outdoor grilling over charcoal or gas when they say they're barbecuing. Unless they say they're going out for BBQ, in which case they're talking about legit smoked meat barbecue.

Comment

Originally posted by hauttedoggie View Post

Here in the Midwest, BBQ is any meal where you’ve cooked it on a grill, and it typically means you’ve invited others outside your household. No real BBQ tradition here in the northern Midwest; you have to hit St Louis and then places further west & south to get bbq traditions….
                            Yeah "barbecuing" was synonymous with grilling where I grew up in Michigan. We didn't call the results barbecue though. You'd barbecue a steak or burgers or brats. A few restaurants had St. Louis or KC style barbecued ribs and they were legitimate slow cooked barbecue, but the only barbecue culture - the places with barbecue joints where everything they made was barbecue or sides - were in the African American neighborhoods and most Caucasians were afraid of going to those places, so true barbecue, like other traditional "soul food", was pretty much culturally non-existent in the North unless you were African American. At least that's the way it was in the city I grew up in.

I was surprised to learn from a friend of mine who grew up in KY that in the South they had very little in the way of Northern European staples I grew up with such as Bratwurst and other sausages. He'd never seen or even heard of brats, or any other wurst, and even Italian sausage was foreign to him until he went to grad school in Michigan.

As for how to define BBQ - my definition is any meat cooked using indirect heat with damp wood added to generate smoky flavor. It's usually a low and slow process but can be done faster and hotter, IMO - such as with poultry. Poultry doesn't need the low and slow process because it's not tough, and a whole bird will sit on the grill long enough to get a good smoky flavor even cooked at like 400-ish degrees. Cooking hotter and faster can produce a bird that is both flavored with smoke and has a pleasantly crispy skin.
                            Last edited by mark4; September 3, 2021, 10:48 AM.
                            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                            X