The joy of wearing a nice watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The joy of wearing a nice watch

Since the pandemic hit, I've been wearing my Garmin Forerunner 235/745 as my daily wearer. The reason for doing so it that, at home, I tend to beaver away while working. I only get up to use the bathroom or refill my water bottle. In the office, I'd be getting up to go to the printer, catch up with colleagues in a meeting room, etc. I started wearing the Garmin because it would remind me to move. At which point I'd get up and walk around the house for a bit.

Recently the wife and I took off for a couple of days. I knew we'd have a nice dinner or two thrown in there, so I ditched the Garmin and went for the Speedy. Wow. Night and day for me. I always knew in my heart of hearts that I wasn't a smart watch guy, and wearing the Speedy pretty much confirmed this for me. I just had such joy - if that's the right word? - looking down at my wrist and seeing the 1990 Speedy there.

I know this doesn't apply to everyone. Some folks love being able to see text messages on their wrist at a glance or take a phone call. And that's fine. But for me, wearing my Speedy again after months of the watch hiding out in my watch box, was a nice change.

Agree completely…I’ve been wearing my Apple Watch while working from home for the same reason and wore my Seamasterbout with friends the other day and it just plain felt good. I’m approaching a career milestone and seriously considering a Rolex as it’s always been my grail watch since I was selling jewelry back in undergrad.

Comment

Go for the Rolex!! I purchased one for some unknown reason and have never regretted it. Was it a big cash outlay? Yes! But I do confess, the watch does bring me joy when I wear it.

Comment

I have a friend who wears a smartwatch on his right wrist and one of his "regular" watches on his left. That's not something I would do; in fact, I have no interest in a smartwatch, but I still wear a watch every day even while working from home, because it's such a part of who I am at this point. I have a couple dozen that I cycle through pretty regularly (some more seasonally than others), so a day not wearing one feels like a lost opportunity to me.

Comment

I'll occasionally wear a Garmin Vivofit on my right arm and my regular watch on my left for this reason. Granted, the Vivofit is not a smart watch and it sucks as a digital non-smart watch, too (it's hard to see and read outside), but I also have zero interest in wearing a smart watch. I'm not married to the Vivofit like some people are, if I'm going to something that requires a button cuff shirt then the vivofit will stay at home. That probably ruins my step data and heart rate data, but unless I'm actively working out then I'm not too worried, but I do like having the movement and stress reminders as well as the sleep data. I doubt I'll ever ditch wearing an analog watch, I have 4 that I swap out pretty regularly, and it's nice to be able to put off the vibe that I'm not an over-scheduled drone that carries both a phone and a smart watch.

Comment

Wrist shot or it didn't happen!

In other news, I really should get a Speedy... Collection feels incomplete without one and I do like the updates they made in the latest iteration.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJasonaissance View Post
              it's nice to be able to put off the vibe that I'm not an over-scheduled drone that carries both a phone and a smart watch.
              I like that description.

Comment

kongmw I am surprised you don't already own a Speedy, based on your watch collection. Yes, I think a Speedy would nicely round out your collection. Just my $0.05.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                  kongmw I am surprised you don't already own a Speedy, based on your watch collection. Yes, I think a Speedy would nicely round out your collection. Just my $0.05.
                  You are absolutely right. I don't have a chrono in the watch box so that's a hole to be filled perfectly by a Speedy. tbh I was really excited by the 321 Speedy but its (understandably) high price tag and my personal (perhaps irrational) dislike of pre-aged lume kind of turned me off. The design of the Ed White, I could take it or leave it.

Also stopped by the AD yesterday to pick up something and had a good laugh when I counted FIFTY watch slots in the Rolex boutique and only THREE watches (small ladies two-tone DJ's) on display. Why even bother showing anything at all...

Comment

Originally posted by kongmw View Post
                    Also stopped by the AD yesterday to pick up something and had a good laugh when I counted FIFTY watch slots in the Rolex boutique and only THREE watches (small ladies two-tone DJ's) on display. Why even bother showing anything at all...
                    To create fear of missing out.

Rarity increases selling prices and decreases sales times/costs by putting pressure on the potential buyer to not lose the fleeting opportunity, but only if the world believes the item is rare. Advertising the shortage through a near-empty display reinforces this perception. A completely empty display would suggest the company is out of business or the store isn't bothering to re-stock, both of which imply lack of demand and therefore reduce the incentive to buy.

In luxury goods there is an additional price-inflating aspect, in that the rarity itself becomes a desirable feature. Ferrari's sales strategy is entirely built upon under-supplying the market so that the world at large perceives their cars as rarities worthy of preservation and owned by an exclusive club (e.g. Picasso collectors) rather than as over-priced, unreliable vehicles owned by the insecure (e.g. the Harley-Davidson dentist).
                    Last edited by Galcobar; September 4, 2021, 10:58 AM.

Comment

This is a really awesome article on having a nice watch as it adds to your overall look. I can see you possess this watch for a long time and I am sure you are going to cherish it forever.

Comment

What is so special about a Rolex watch?

Rolex has created a steel alloy (904L) that allows the manufacturer to take and hold polishes incredibly well. This is something special that Rolex does since no other brand can seem to match this quality yet—and it always makes me want to handle any steel watch by them.

Comment

Working...
                        X