Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shad0w4life
    replied
    Yup that's the flaw with the strands I just checked and had no clue it was there I had a hard time seeing it with my feet in, not even following stitching just a nick into the leather, hopefully doesn't affect integrity

Leave a comment:

• AJG Esq
    replied
    Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
    Ok I got mine...so far only noticed slight creasing on the FA's, the Strands had what I think as dust on them hah
    Looking good man. On the top of the heel of your left Strand it looks like there's a nick, that might've made them seconds. And that slight creasing on the PA would come after a few wears anyway. Just tree them and you've got a great deal.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    Probably not fully accurate as Vicious were definetely not first but like I said the strands had dust on them hah I thought they were really discoloured until I moved my thumb across; didn't clean them up for pics either so there's more colour waiting to come out

Leave a comment:

• clogs
    replied
    Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
    Wow those shoes look like they are 1st quality
    The lady at the factory store did tell me they were listed as seconds BECAUSE they were brooks brothers branded... so maybe they basically are.

That of course could be inaccurate

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied
    Wow those shoes look like they are 1st quality

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    Ok I got mine...so far only noticed slight creasing on the FA's, the Strands had what I think as dust on them hah

Leave a comment:

• AJG Esq
    replied
    Originally posted by alan View Post
    @AJG: If the fringe is the only issue, I doubt anyone will notice it except you. No harm in getting a professional opinion, though.
    After wearing them, I've definitely come to agree with you. I posted this pic of them earlier to compare my 2nds with OPs: http://imgur.com/agDSM And in 90% of cases, it wouldn't hurt to get a professional opinion, but my cobbler is essentially the Russian shoe nazi (Shoe Soviet?). I had him resole and polish some awesome monk straps I thrifted, when I asked him about polishing the buckle, he said no, doesn't need it, and there's no arguing with him...I've tried. I know he'll say the fringe looks fine. He does amazing work though and charges very fair prices so I stick with him. And sometimes a man just needs to be told no.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    @AJG: If the fringe is the only issue, I doubt anyone will notice it except you. No harm in getting a professional opinion, though.

Leave a comment:

• AJG Esq
    replied
    @clogs, I feel your pain since it's such a noticeable part of the shoe and has the potential to look awesome. Honestly, I just stuck shoe trees in mine and sat there pushing down on it with my hands with mild pressure hoping a combo of the heat and pressure would improve it. I think it looks better now, not perfect, but very good. You may have different results as it seems like your problem was worse. I decided not to ask my cobbler as there's so little extra leather on the fringe, I'm not sure it can be glued without risking seeing the glue. If you have a good cobbler though, get his opinion. Mine is awesome, but a tough Russian dude who refuses to do tiny cosmestic repairs that he thinks I won't care about in 2 weeks, and is probably right.

Leave a comment:

• clogs
    replied
    its actually not just on the cap toe part - there are other sections where the fringe just mysteriously sticks straight outwards. I guess I'll try to take it to a cobbler or something to see if it can be glued down... frustrating. Im trying the string thing, that doesnt seem to be working for me too well and some of these areas aren't going to work.

One of them has about 75% of the captoe fringe flat like it should be and it's noticeably so much better looking...

Leave a comment:

• clogs
    replied
    Originally posted by AJG Esq View Post
    My Strands came in last night (still trying to figure out how to add pics directly, until then, imgur): http://imgur.com/agDSM

There's very slight wrinkling on one heel and a mark on a sole, both of which don't bother me at all. However, on the cap of the left shoe, the fringe is raised up instead of flat. Any recommendations on how to flatten it out? The pic is after me holding it down with my hand for about 5 minutes...I may try to tie a string around it over night or see if my cobbler can glue it down. Otherwise, I can live with it.
    I am also having this problem, but much worse on both shoes than it looks in your picture. There must be a way to fix it but googling "sticking up fringe stuff on strands" obviously didnt help too much... any ideas?

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    Ah, my argument is you're not saving $185, you're just paying roughly what the shoes SHOULD be selling for

I do hope mine show up in great shape though, then my AE collection is done and I can sell a few other models I detest.
    Last edited by shad0w4life; November 18, 2012, 03:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    The strands in a 9C are the most comfortable shoes I've owned. The park aves even though they are built on the same last are not nearly as comfortable. That's the reason I didn't want to return them and get a different brand. The strands fit me like a 2nd skin. If it was a different AE shoe even, I most likely would have sent them back already.

I own them in walnut and knew I eventually wanted to get another pair or two of them. $150 compared to the normal $335 price tag on them is a big Difference. Can I live with that mark if it means I'm saving $185 is what I had to ask myself. I decided that for $185, I can live with it.
    Last edited by Vicious49; November 18, 2012, 01:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• shad0w4life
    replied
    Just to point this out @ $150 with that mark I wouldn't consider them a great deal. You could get Meermin and Shoe Passion shoes for a little bit more and I'd bet the quality is that or above AE. Haven't found a review saying they are bad shoes at all, even AS had minor issues @ $800.

They are nice shoes of course but there are other options
    Last edited by shad0w4life; November 18, 2012, 01:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Vicious49
    replied
    I decided to keep those brown strands. That deep scratch/nick is a bit annoying but at $150 they were a great deal.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X