Post-pandemic clothes confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-pandemic clothes confusion

As we emerge into the other side of this global catastrophe I straight up don’t know which brands are good anymore. J crew and brooks went bankrupt, banana republic has a new creative director who is moving back to their safari days, and there are more online-only brands than ever.

Madewell, everlane, buck mason, Taylor stitch. I’ve never in my life put one of their garments on my body. I really don’t want to take a complete risk and be left on the hook for returns.

However, I did just take a gamble on workout shorts and swim trunks for Ten Thousand and they are great.

Lulu and vuori make office clothes now? Don’t love the idea of that.

Who can be trusted anymore?

I feel like Lucile Bluth out here (that is to say out of touch and judgmental). Do I want some buck mason ball pouch underwear?! I don’t understand the question and won’t respond to it.

For those of us who still wear suits for office and court, I'm still seeing nice garments from Oxxford and Samuelsohn. I received some very nice shirts from BB the other day, but they could be old stock. It is still a mystery to me that although I generally favour the above makers along with Burberry, everyone seems to think I look best in these Joseph Abboud USA suits that are frequently on sale at Men's Wearhouse for around $100 American. I think some of the JAB Reserve line are the same suits. Go figure...

Comment

I do think it's been interesting to see the athletic brands getting into the office attire business. Some of their fabrics are really quite nice and I've found the fit to be better tailored to my shape than other brands. I have some pants and shirts from Rhone that feel great and wear really well. I also have a couple of shirts from Hylete that wear as nicely as any long-sleeve button up that I own but with a comfortable stretch to them. I like Hylete's stuff and they're my preferred workout shorts right now (Ten Thousand looks nice but I really just don't get workout shorts with pockets???).

Comment

Originally posted by JohnR View Post
        I do think it's been interesting to see the athletic brands getting into the office attire business. Some of their fabrics are really quite nice and I've found the fit to be better tailored to my shape than other brands. I have some pants and shirts from Rhone that feel great and wear really well. I also have a couple of shirts from Hylete that wear as nicely as any long-sleeve button up that I own but with a comfortable stretch to them. I like Hylete's stuff and they're my preferred workout shorts right now (Ten Thousand looks nice but I really just don't get workout shorts with pockets???).
        I am really enjoying my Rhone polo shirts and t-shirts. I'm really surprised how much I like the tech fabric. I've almost always stuck with 100% cotton or wool up until now. Besides feeling very good, the shirts are easier to get stains out than with a natural fabric. And I spill a lot.
        WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

J Crew is in bankruptcy but for the time being at least is still chugging along doing pretty much what they've been doing for decades. How long that situation persists who knows but for now they are still an option. For casual clothing I have been getting a lot of stuff from Huckberry for the past few years, mostly on sale but a lot of it is worth full price and I've paid full price on some of the stuff and haven't felt ripped off by any means. Brands I've bought from them include Flint and Tinder of course, but also Proof, Bather, Roark Revival (though I think they have maybe disappeared from Huckberry), Penfield, there's a couple of others that I can't think of off the top of my head. I have two cashmere sweaters from Everlane that were very reasonable and have worn well now for going on a half decade and it looks from their website like they do decent quality basics these days. Alex Mill is a designer label I like because they're focused (mostly) on stuff that a guy can actually wear in the real world rather than on the runway and their price points are very reasonable for a designer label. Worth checking out. Honestly if J Crew emerges from bankruptcy in decent shape they could do worse than Alex for their new creative director as his aesthetic jibes with what they do.

I bought one thing from Taylor Stitch - a pair of hybrid shorts/swim trunks that fit OK (a little snug but workable) when I got them but then they shrank dramatically even though I washed them according to instructions. When they came out of the wash they would have fit a 6 year old boy but not me. I like the look of a lot of their stuff but I usually find something similar on Huckberry for less than what they charge (and yes I'm aware that Huckberry does stock their stuff). It's a learning curve with new brands as you have to figure out what size works for you WRT sizing but once that is dialed in it's like ordering online from a brand you already know.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post
            Honestly if J Crew emerges from bankruptcy in decent shape they could do worse than Alex for their new creative director as his aesthetic jibes with what they do.
            Alex Mill is owned and co-founded by former J.Crew CEO Mickey Drexler and his son Alex. Their basic modus operandi is to run the business and creative design in the way that J.Crew's board wouldn't allow Mickey to do while he was CEO.

Comment

Originally posted by garryowen47 View Post

Alex Mill is owned and co-founded by former J.Crew CEO Mickey Drexler and his son Alex. Their basic modus operandi is to run the business and creative design in the way that J.Crew's board wouldn't allow Mickey to do while he was CEO.
              Did not know that but it explains their aesthetic and that their price points are more or less in line with J Crew prices.
              “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Seriously, what is with the Banana Republic safari thing? They still have some good basics, but the marketing is very odd. I am not planning on buying clothes to go hang out on sand dunes in the middle of the desert.

Comment

CK83 Yeah, I am torn and confused. They first had a Humphrey Bogart African Queen style/ old explorer of Africa but product doesn’t fit. They also had a shoot at Joshua Tree supposedly and I live near there. I honestly wouldn’t wear a ton of that stuff there either unless we are talking winters and maybe just the jacket or the linen shirts. Also, don’t drive a convertible in the desert with the top down on the side roads. It would be unpleasant.

Comment

You live near Joshua Tree? My very old mother lives in Landers. I don't know how you all have survived the heat this summer. She's told me of weeks in a row of 110 degree days. She only leaves her house to get the mail.

I don't know what I'd be wearing during day after day of that type of weather.

Originally posted by jvargas View Post
                    CK83 Yeah, I am torn and confused. They first had a Humphrey Bogart African Queen style/ old explorer of Africa but product doesn’t fit. They also had a shoot at Joshua Tree supposedly and I live near there. I honestly wouldn’t wear a ton of that stuff there either unless we are talking winters and maybe just the jacket or the linen shirts. Also, don’t drive a convertible in the desert with the top down on the side roads. It would be unpleasant.
                    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Originally posted by jvargas View Post
                      CK83 YAlso, don’t drive a convertible in the desert with the top down on the side roads. It would be unpleasant.
                      Hilarious! This didn't even occur to me. I mean obviously there's some artistic leniency in marketing clothes. Won't sell a ton of khakis with pictures of dudes in sitting in cubicles. But the direction is a bit bizarre.

Comment

mebejoseph oh, yeah Landers is right off Old Woman Springs Road. I stopped once to look at some art. That whole area near Joshua Tree has weird hidden art on houses and such because who is going to stop them. I live closer to Barstow but drive down that way all the time. 110 is the cool weather we have hit 120 but not often. You definitely try to limit time outside until evening and definitely don’t touch anything left out in the sun. I got the advice of treat it like winter you only have a few months to deal with it. The rest of the months have great weather. During the summer, I mostly wear fishing shirts, golf polos, Prana Zion pants,summer jeans from target, and just regular J Crew shorts. Getting the sun off your skin is extremely helpful so in a pinch I have worn regular chinos and didn’t over heat. My work place is very casual so I have yet to try to wear a blazer during the summer.

CK83 Sadly it’s not hard to find people who do. They come out covered in dust and a bit banged up. Not looking great like Smokey and the bandit.
                        Shooting commercials is appealing as the high desert is exotic. Car companies shoot tons of commercials out here all the time. Just look for Joshua Trees in the background, huge pile of rocks, or scrub bushes. I even think huckberry had a collection and some advertisement shoot down here.

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post
                          Seriously, what is with the Banana Republic safari thing? They still have some good basics, but the marketing is very odd. I am not planning on buying clothes to go hang out on sand dunes in the middle of the desert.
                          I would suggest you look up the history of the brand and you'll understand why.

Comment

Last time I got to hang out in the desert, my clothes were all free.
                            https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

My suspicion is that BR's recent turn is part nostalgia (for those who liked the old brand) and a return to simple colors and lines. IMHO they were doing too many busy prints and stripes, so I'm glad to see a move towards simpler looks with earth tones. But maybe they overcorrected?

Comment

Working...
                              X