Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

might I trouble you for a watch recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

might I trouble you for a watch recommendation?

Hello all,

If I may, I'd like to lean on the forum members' collective expertise as I look for a slightly more upscale casual - to - business-casual watch than I currently have (I was gifted a "josehp abboud" watch from JC Penny). There are so many watches and so many recommendations, lists, etc. that I'm experiencing just as much information paralysis as I would if I just went to multiple retailers' sites and browsed. I've never worn watches until I began putting a little effort toward my appearance, and since then I just have a couple of inexpensive timex / bulova placeholders until I figure out what I like / need.

I'll list some parameters and I'd be very grateful for any recommendations you'd have.:

- I'd seriously consider something used.

- as mentioned, it needs to go with casual to business-casual (sportcoat and chinos type of level) outfits.

- I'm looking for maximum versatility across types and colors of outfits - Maybe a bracelet that can be switched for black or brown leather if need be?

- I'd like to stay in the $300 range, but I'd splurge up to $800 for something perfect. I know that's quite a range....enlighten me on what's available and why it's worth the extra money!

Many thanks in advance for your picks.....

There are so many recommendations and lists out there that you've decided to ask for more suggestions? That does not seem productive to me.

Comment

There are so many recommendations and lists out there that you've decided to ask for more suggestions? That does not seem productive to me.
      Ha...........I thought someone with more experience could narrow it down a little from the thousands of suggestions.

In my position, what would be your top choice or two? That would be quite helpful.

Thank you fro taking the time to look and respond.

Comment

Originally posted by nathan miller View Post

Ha...........I thought someone with more experience could narrow it down a little from the thousands of suggestions.

In my position, what would be your top choice or two? That would be quite helpful.

Thank you fro taking the time to look and respond.
        This Islander.

https://longislandwatch.com/islander...rystal-isl-39/

Add that to your list, then cut the list down to that one because I said so..

Comment

Quartz watches are great!
          I'm really happy with my Mondaine Evo watch.
          https://mondaine.com/collections/men...ailways-evo2-1
          Very sleek case design and clean face. Can be dressed up or down. It comes with a black leather band with quick release, and I got a brown leather band with quick release from Barton.

Also consider a dive watch, which can be super versatile. Orient Ray or Mako are great automatic dive watches from what people say here, as well as the Seiko 5 with a steel band, but most people say the Seiko 5 isn't as rugged as the old Seiko SKX. The Islander seemed to fill that void. Here's a more dive oriented Islander, less dressy, but still super versatile
          https://www.longislandwatch.com/isla...insert-isl-71/

Comment

The one watch I have the hits your price range is the Bulova Lunar Pilot, which I adore both because its a great high-beat quartz chrono and its historical provenance as the only non-Omega watch to go to the Moon. Well, the original prototype watch did, but I think Bulova did a pretty good homage to that watch. Also, there's the cheeky fact that it looks like an Omega Speedmaster, not because Bulova copied the Speedmaster, but because it had to conform to NASA specs (but let's be real, NASA specs were based on the Speedmaster). So anyway, that's my jam. It might not be yours.

If I were going to get another watch in that range, I'd probably get a Hamilton field watch because I love the simple field watch esthetic. But speaking of Bulova, they recently released a mechanical field watch that ostensibly copies the watches they made for the Army in the mid-20th century and looks to be a bit less expensive than the Hammy. And its on sale at Nordstrom right now. Hmmmmm. The other direction I might go is to see if I could snag a used Sinn at the top end of your range, but I don't know anything about used watches or how to score a deal without getting screwed. I really dig the Sinn dials with the numerals at 12, 3, 6, and 9.

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
              If I were going to get another watch in that range, I'd probably get a Hamilton field watch because I love the simple field watch esthetic.
              I am by no means a watch person, but this would be my pick if I were to upgrade and get a "nice" watch. I think brown leather is plenty versatile (I virtually never wear black shoes), but lately I have been more tempted by the stainless steel bracelet. I would have no problem wearing that with anything from shorts and a t-shirt to a suit.

Comment

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/w...b-575.5323956/

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/f...25-00.5323410/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexchan...intramatic_md/

a few alternate Hamilton’s for your consideration

Comment

Your request is a good one, but you need break down your desires to get meaningful answers. Here are three key questions for you to answer:
                  • quartz or automatic (or hand wind)?
                  • what style (field, dive, dress, sport)?
                  • What complications (date, day, gmt, chronograph)?
                  • what size?
                  Get answers to these questions and you’ll be able to narrow things down a ton.

I really like the Tissot PRX - either quartz or automatic; sport; date; midsize (39.5mm).it evokes much more expensive watches (Rolex Datejust Oysterquartz, AP Royal Oak). I would get the blue dial Powermatic 80 because I love the dial texture.

I also like the Seiko Alpinist SPB159 - automatic; field; date; midsize. This is a great field watch design.

if you want to hit a lower price point and want an automatic watch, look at the entire Seiko 5 line. They’re (mostly?)under $300 and you can find almost any style you want.
                  Mark

Comment

Thank you for all of your input, you've really helped take a million factors down to a dozen or so. I am looking through all of your suggestions at the moment. Since my 'budget' really is whatever I think I can justify spending to my wife, I am thinking about getting two - this one looks cool for casual-wear - what do you think? decent price? I'm not an expert.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31351461177...%7C3000%7C1500

Comment

In your price range, I love my Citizen Eco Drive watches. They are solar-powered and never require winding or changing batteries. Downside is they seem to have a lifespan that is limited to about 12-15 years and if Citizen stops making the parts for a particular model, you're out of luck. At least that's what the watch repair guy told me.
                      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I second (or third?) the hamilton field watch. I picked up mine on ebay for under three hundred and I love it. I got it about a year ago and its quickly become my go-to for everything but a suit. Although, I haven't worn a suit in over a year .

Comment

Originally posted by nathan miller View Post
                          Thank you for all of your input, you've really helped take a million factors down to a dozen or so. I am looking through all of your suggestions at the moment. Since my 'budget' really is whatever I think I can justify spending to my wife, I am thinking about getting two - this one looks cool for casual-wear - what do you think? decent price? I'm not an expert.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31351461177...%7C3000%7C1500
                          Tissot makes a good, solid watch. So if that watch speaks to you, then it is a good choice for you.

Comment

Tissot is part of the Swatch Group, which makes Swatch (of course), Tissot, Mido, Rado, Longines, Hamilton, Omega, Breguet. They know how to make watches. That’s a nice chronograph with a reverse Panda dial. Here’s another option with a tonneau case shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZODIAC-GRAN...-127632-2357-0
                            Mark

Comment

Tissot makes a good, solid watch. So if that watch speaks to you, then it is a good choice for you.
                              thank you - I like chronographs for casual wear - there's something about the exceedingly elaborate gearset allowing such precision - and they can look both dressy and sporty / masculine at the same time, too - narrowing it down now.

Tissot is part of the Swatch Group, which makes Swatch (of course), Tissot, Mido, Rado, Longines, Hamilton, Omega, Breguet. They know how to make watches. That’s a nice chronograph with a reverse Panda dial. Here’s another option with a tonneau case shape.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZODIAC-GRAN...-127632-2357-0
                              THank you for the education - I had no idea about any of that provenance or terminology! I'll take a look at that link, too.

For the dressier option, I'm considering just opening the purse strings and getting something of heirloom quality, that I could enjoy, then give to my son when he's old enough. we'd be talking $5k or under. For me, more than that would be ridiculous as I don't dress formally often and I don't have a huge passion for these things.

Comment

Working...
                              X