Wedding (groom) inspiration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedding (groom) inspiration

I’ve been engaged since right before the pandemic. Never really wanted a big wedding ever. But now that we’re coming out of the pandemic, and we have our venue picked out (July 2022!) I am coming around to the excitement of the day.

what did any/all of you grooms use for outfit (and fitness) inspiration?

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials. I got married 20 years ago, so what do I know? But hey, since no one else is responding... You can always check the usual places - menswear blogs, Instagram, Youtube, etc. Maybe your photographer has a portfolio you can check out from recent weddings they shot (or as you are deciding on a photographer, review their portfolios). Are "groom magazines" a thing? Lord knows there's plenty of bride magazines. I suspect you'll want to your attire to be congruent with your spouse's expectations, the location and expected weather, whatever religious or cultural traditions you adhere to, and a style you feel comfortable wearing. I would venture to guess that most grooms just wear whatever their bride (or groom) wants them to wear or at least matches their chosen wedding colors in some way or another. But maybe its different nowadays.

Comment

I went for Bogart's white (really it was ivory) dinner jacket look that he wore in Casablanca, my favorite movie. It was a summer wedding and our venue was an old hotel in downtown Los Angeles that at the time was decorated in a Moroccan style, so it was perfect. I was a bit disappointed that I could not find a double breasted one like he wore in the movie, but I don't think anyone else noticed.

The hotel has been completely renovated since our wedding in 2013, so no more Moroccan style, but I'd probably wear the same thing. I like that look a lot. But that's just me.

That said, if you have a favorite character from a movie, you might take inspiration from that.

Last edited by mebejoseph; July 6, 2021, 05:29 PM.
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I went formal. Tuxes for all of us. Shiny black shoes. The bow ties and cummerbunds were green (our primary wedding color). Two step process to this:

1) Ask the fiancé what she wants you to wear and say "yes dear."

2) Repeat as needed.

Comment

My spouse and I went a sightly different route. We did not want the groomsmen or bridal party to perfectly match. We decided on mid great suits for the groomsmen and navy dresses for the bridal party. I bought the groomsmen navy ties and watches with a navy face (from Orient) to wear at the wedding.

One of the main reasons we went this route was the variety of body types among the groomsmen and bridal party. My spouse and I were (and still are) lean and fit. But that wasn’t true of everyone in the party. Hence, we wanted people to wear clothes that worked for them.

Overall it worked out well. Everyone was coordinated without matching perfectly, which is what we wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by somaticmarker1 View Post
            My spouse and I went a sightly different route. We did not want the groomsmen or bridal party to perfectly match. We decided on mid great suits for the groomsmen and navy dresses for the bridal party. I bought the groomsmen navy ties and watches with a navy face (from Orient) to wear at the wedding.

One of the main reasons we went this route was the variety of body types among the groomsmen and bridal party. My spouse and I were (and still are) lean and fit. But that wasn’t true of everyone in the party. Hence, we wanted people to wear clothes that worked for them.

Overall it worked out well. was Everyonecoordinated without matching perfectly, which is what we wanted.
            That is very considerate of you. Too many times, I get a sense of what people really think of their friends by the ridiculous outfits they force them to wear when standing up at a wedding. I am kidding sort of. When I got married, it was a morning to afternoon affair and outdoors, so I did a little research and found the ubiquitous black dinner jacket just wasn't appropriate, so instead I wore my favorite suit at the time was a double breasted navy suit. I just asked my groomsman to wear navy suits, and burgundy ties. The bridesmaids wore light purple dresses which they picked out themselves, for the same reason. They were of different body types, and it is humiliating to make a woman who is overweight squeeze into the same dress as someone younger and a lot more fit. It isn't as bad for the men, but I remember once standing up at a wedding where I needed to wear a rented black dinner jacket with a red vest and a matching red bowtie. I looked ridiculous like a kid on his way to the prom, but that is what my friend who asked me told me I had to wear.

Comment

When we were married a few years ago, we didn't invite a lot of people. It was a second marriage for both of us and we didn't get too carried away. It was in the evening and our invitations stated black tie. All of our invited guests have nice evening clothes and we knew that's how everyone would dress. I wore Armani double-breasted evening wear, which I have subsequently supplemented with another double-breasted dinner jacket from the Brooks Brothers clearance sales. I would recommend the best formal wear that fits your budget and is appropriate for the time of day. I find it usually works out for the best if one tries to avoid being trendy. Nonetheless, my much younger wife and I were recently in a wedding party for one of her friends where the men wore our white dinner jackets with pastel cummerbunds and bowties to more or less match the gowns of our respective bride's maids. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but one does what he must...

Comment

Originally posted by somaticmarker1 View Post

Overall it worked out well. Everyone was coordinated without matching perfectly, which is what we wanted.
                Another thing about this approach is it projects a sense of adulthood and independence among the wedding party. Everyone dressed the same, particularly on the men's side, gives a sense of children who don't know how to dress properly so someone else picked out their clothes for them.

Comment

If you don’t have James Bond as your tux inspiration I’m not really sure what to tell you…

Comment

Working...
                  X