Smart Casual Summer Wedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart Casual Summer Wedding

Good morning all. Long time listener, first time caller. In about a month I am attending an outdoor, summer wedding. Attire is smart casual. I just got a pair of new seersucker pants that I’ve been dying to wear, but wanted some thoughts or opinions on what to wear with it?
    • No blazer, white dress shirt, tan loafers & belt
    • No blazer, light blue dress shirt, tan loafers & belt
    • Navy blazer, white dress shirt, tan loafers & belt
    • Navy blazer, light blue dress shirt, tan loafers & belt
    I appreciate any thoughts or advice & thank you for the amazing community. I’ve learned so much just reading all the threads.

Nice to hear weddings are a thing again! My vote is option 3 or 4 if you've got the blazer handy. You can always hang it over a chair if it gets too hot, or if you get there and you're the only one wearing a blazer. The shirt color is really a matter of your preference, and assuming it's the classic white/blue seersucker pattern, either would work. And I think you're right to keep the shirt simple and solid. Main thing is to be comfortable and have a good time!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Comment

One suggestion I always make for summer weddings: spare shirt. Especially if you want to wear a jacket for the ceremony and then cut back to casual at the reception. On that note, I might suggest the white shirt won't have obvious pit stains the way most blue shirts will, if perspiration will be a concern (and given that the first week of summer 2021 is being described as the hottest since before the western US megadrought began, mid-July will likely make perspiration a concern for anyone, anywhere outside)..

Comment

What color seersucker are we talking? The standard alternating blue and white stripe? I've seen seersucker in lavender and white stripe and pink and white stripe but blue and white is most common. That pattern can look light blue from any distance so with a blue shirt you're risking being too close in shade to the pants and I think a white shirt might work better. I'm agnostic on the blazer - it would add an element of formality and if you think smart casual means jackets are strongly encouraged then I'd wear it but if its a little more relaxed than that and depending on the weather it might be miserably hot, especially if it's a daytime wedding. Navy is a dark color and soaks up a lot of solar heat as a result.
        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I had the alternative white and blue seersucker suit from J. Crew. The suit was well made and I picked it up for a good price. I just couldn't wear it as an every day suit though. I tried to wear it to the office a handful times but I never felt quite 'right' in the suit. I am sure though that for a wedding a seersucker suit wouldn't be an issue. I just couldn't pull it off for a daily wearer.

Comment

Did you mention if it's in the evening or the daytime? If it's evening, I'd wear some type of blazer/sports coat for sure. Well, I'd probably wear one in the daytime as well, but that's just me.
            WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and thoughts. The pants are the blue and white stripe kind. The wedding in question is a day wedding and it is outside. I really like the idea of showing up with the blazer on and just taking it off if I’m the only one wearing one or if it is rediculously hot. Better to have and not need as opposed to need and not have. I also think the white shirt is the better option too. The light blue looks a little too monochrome to me, especially if I have the blazer on.

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
                I had the alternative white and blue seersucker suit from J. Crew. The suit was well made and I picked it up for a good price. I just couldn't wear it as an every day suit though. I tried to wear it to the office a handful times but I never felt quite 'right' in the suit. I am sure though that for a wedding a seersucker suit wouldn't be an issue. I just couldn't pull it off for a daily wearer.
                Yeah I have a buddy who is very plus sized - somewhere around 6'5" and maybe north of there, around 300 lbs. He was an offensive lineman at USC. Last wedding we were at together he had a lavender seersucker suit on and looked magnificent. But that was a wedding, not the office. That said I think he could pull it off at the office. First, he's got the personality to pull off a look like that. Second, nobody, especially my 5'8" 151 lbs. ass, is going to criticize it because he could crush us like a gnat.

“Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Hey Boston, welcome to the forum. We're all a little bit crazy here. but good crazy, nahmean?

I wore almost the exact outfit you describe recently for a school function my daughter had. Traditional blue/white seersucker trousers (though the blue had a little more green in it than the classic sky blue), pink linen dress shirt, navy linen sportcoat, snuff suede loafers. The sportcoat was perfect for indoors since the venue was powerfully air conditioned. Then we had dinner on a patio and I took off the sportcoat and let the linen and seersucker do their ventilation thing.

TL;dr, go with the sportcoat.

Comment

Working...
                  X