Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can i button the sleeves on a shirt with french cuffs like a regular shirt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

can i button the sleeves on a shirt with french cuffs like a regular shirt?

I'm going to put on a suit, but if I fasten the sleeves of the shirt with cufflinks as is usually done, it will prevent the sleeve of the shirt from peeking out from under the sleeve of the jacket. In this case, can I button the sleeves with cufflinks, but what shape was it like the sleeves on a regular shirt?
    Sorry for my english

I think the short answer is no. French cuffs are cut differently from barrel cuffs, the type with buttons. I guess you could try to wrap a French cuff around your wrist like a barrel cuff and put the cufflink in that way, but it would look kind of weird. Might I suggest that you fasten the cuff with the cufflink as normal. Then when you put your jacket on, give the sleeve a little tug to pull out the correct length of cuff you want peeking out. It should stay that way. Also, as you move your arms around, the jacket will ride up your arms, showing more your your shirtsleeve underneath anyway. You'll be fine.

Comment

I've seen it done, but unless your sleeves are way too short, it's going to look strange. Maybe you're getting the wrong size shirts?
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Kind of the opposite, but some of my Eton shirts have these convertible cuffs where the buttoned cuff can also be used with cuff links. They describe it here, but unfortunately don’t provide an illustration for how it actually works.

https://www.etonshirts.com/en/cuff/single

Comment

Originally posted by Spex View Post
          Kind of the opposite, but some of my Eton shirts have these convertible cuffs where the buttoned cuff can also be used with cuff links. They describe it here, but unfortunately don’t provide an illustration for how it actually works.

https://www.etonshirts.com/en/cuff/single
          Yes, if that's what the OP means, of course that's fine. I've had shirts like that with a cuff with holes, but does not fold over (single cuff) and that come with double buttons as well. Those look fine with either buttons or cuff links.
          WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Working...
          X