Soliciting suit advice for a warm beach wedding as the groom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soliciting suit advice for a warm beach wedding as the groom

I’m getting married on a beach on St. John in December.

It’s fairly casual. I’m thinking a gray linen suit and black shoes of some kind.

I would love to hear some suggestions from the dappered folks about brands and styles.

I am definitely on the heavier but also muscular side - 5’8” 260 with broad shoulders, large muscular legs, and a belly.

Any suggestions anyone might have as far as brands or styles to shoot for in a gray linen or something I may not have thought of would be very much appreciated.

Thanks and have a good night.

Might help is you added a location to St. John. The St. John's I am familiar with is in Newfoundland and the temperature in December is around -4 c. In which case I'd advise getting married indoors

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
      Might help is you added a location to St. John. The St. John's I am familiar with is in Newfoundland and the temperature in December is around -4 c. In which case I'd advise getting married indoors
      St. John, not St. John's. Clearly, he meant the city in New Brunswick. That said, temperatures are pretty similar, which makes sense given they're both on the Atlantic Ocean and only ~700 km apart.

Or, given the "on St. John" perhaps meant an island, such as the one in the US Virgin Islands?

------
      Black shoes are on the far end of the formality scale from grey linen and beach sand. Plus any sand that sticks to them is painfully obvious. A brown would match the (lack of) formality of linen better, and if darker than the shade of grey of the suit won't be flashy.

Measurements (chest, waist, etc.) would help for making recommendations. Cut can be approximated, but it won't help you much to be recommended a brand which say only offers up to 42 Short and you're a 46 Short.

I would make one general suggestion from your self-description; double-vented jacket. Having the jacket tail separate from the sides allowed it to drape properly over a prominent posterior.

Oh, and have a spare shirt on hand. Avoids both wrinkles and stink at an inopportune moment.

Comment

Congrats on the upcoming wedding!

For a beach wedding, if you're set on a suit, I think definitely something in linen is the best way to go IMO.

With your height/weight and muscular build, you're going to have a hard time fitting into the classic "drops" for off the rack suits without some significant tailoring. Forget about JCrew and the like, because you'll feel like your arms are about to hulk bust through the seams. And you want it to be as loose as practicable to stay cool.

It may be worth looking into some of the online MTM brands. Black Lapel gets a lot of play on this site, though I do not have personal experience with it, I've heard good things. Another is Indochino, which used to get mentioned around here, but has fell off the radar. Maybe this is for good reason, but I actually got a suit from there several years back as a groomsman in a friends wedding. I was pleasantly surprised with it. At that time you could also customize it to have half lining for more breathability. Don't know if that's still the case though. In either case, I think it's worth exploring for you since you've got plenty of time to get the fit just right.

Change of shirt is a great suggestion. Maybe even a spare set of underdrawers for a discreet quick change at some point in the day/evening. Ultimately, it's important to look good, but it's even more important that you are comfortable. You want to enjoy your day, and not be worried about something smothering you to death!

Comment

Black shoes sound way too formal for getting married on the beach, if you mean on the actual sand. Maybe not if you're indoors at the beach. Do you have any suits now that fit you well? What size are they? Or it might be helpful to know your chest and waist measurements.

Based on what you've shared, it does sound like you'll need a made to measure suit. I've heard mixed reviews about Indochino, but the good thing is that they have a lot of locations--at least you can probably see what you're buying ahead of time.

Good idea to start early in your shopping.

You're probably going to have a limited selection of suits if you go with linen. You might want to also consider sports coats

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

I've not known anybody to have a good result with Indochino over the long term (poor durability due to questionable construction), but it's possible they've improved in recent years. However, their jacket and pants linings are polyester, hardly suitable for temperatures which require linen. Even if the body is unlined, the sleeves usually still are.

Comment

I’ve had a good experience with indochino on another suit. My perspective is that it’s as good as the measurements and alterations you get.

Comment

For the difference in price (?) I'd go for Suit Supply over Indochino. Just my $0.05.

Galcobar Good catch on St. John vs. St. John's. My mistake.

Comment

For the difference in price (?) I'd go for Suit Supply over Indochino. Just my $0.05.

Oh yes--I forgot that SS has a MTO program:

https://suitsupply.com/en-us/journal...tml#cm-tailors
                  WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Gave me an unwelcome flashback to elementary school (unit on provincial capitals and largest cities) and the struggle to remember which was which. I'm fairly certain it took until late high school before I no longer had make a conscious effort to distinguish them.

Hoping the whimsical tone of "clearly" came through; re-reading the post I realized it might have come off as snark.

Kids now will have it easier, at least, since Moncton passed Saint John to become New Brunswick's largest city in 2016, so the various city names are distinct.

Comment

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
                      However, their jacket and pants linings are polyester, hardly suitable for temperatures which require linen. Even if the body is unlined, the sleeves usually still are.
                      I didn't realize this. The suit I had from them was a bit older, when they were still using bemberg. It looks like somewhere in late '17 they quietly switched that over. I agree, that's a deal breaker.

Also, completely agree with Suit Supply > Indochino, especially for your wedding. I'd actually forgotten they had a MTO program, which is great! You'll be spending multiple thousands on the wedding, worth a few extra bucks to get the suit right.

You can be just like this lucky dude on their homepage!

https://suitsupply.com/en-us/men

Comment

I also prefer SS to Indochino - Indochino’s button stance is WAY too high for may body.

I wore a midnight blue SS tuxedo for my wedding - looked fantastic! I don’t get many occasions to wear it, but it’s nice to have a tux in my closet for fun as opposed to all the black ones I have for work.

Comment

I had a bespoke suit made for my beach wedding so can't opine on brands. However, I do agree with the feedback on the black shoes - too much for the setting and fabric. I wore espadrilles and they were perfect. I ordered 5 or 6 online and tried them all on with the suit to select the right pair.

Comment

Working...
                          X