Bike Helmet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 77Pat View Post

Will be interesting to see as in unit screens are getting larger (small sample size, but probably should be looked into further) https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...een%20controls.
    That article is a depressing read. I'm not even talking the car console though. I'm talking drivers with the cell phone in one hand and the other hand mostly on the steering wheel. I see that all the time. Another unrelated issue is in making cars more crashworthy they've created a bunch of fairly large blind spots for the driver. The front roof support columns are an issue for seeing anything to the front-side of the car and then the reason rear view cameras are ubiquitous is visibility through the rear window below about 5 feet high is really limited in a lot of vehicles. They're building cars to maximize the survival of the driver but making the driver more dangerous to everyone else around them. Again, I drive so I'm not against driving but crashworthiness isn't everything when it comes to auto safety. You have to worry about how safe the car is to operate but that seems to be an afterthought.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I was inspired by this thread to look into getting a new helmet. I have one that I bought back in the early aughts, and while it's perfectly serviceable, I was never thrilled by its looks. Plus, I have very sensitive skin and very little hair left up top, so I thought it would be good if I could find something with fewer holes, to cut down on the possibility of a noggin burn. These retro styled helmets were not around back then, or if they were they were confined to skateboarders. Now there's definite crossover.

I like the appearance of the helmets that were discussed here, like Nutcase. I happen to live only a couple of miles from an REI store, so I went over there to try on a few. I liked the Nutcase model, but they also had a brand that I don't think had been mentioned: Thousand. It turned out that one fit me the best, plus they seem to be socially and environmentally conscious. And aesthetically they were right on target: I like the small molded-in visor in front, the matte color options, and the tan straps. Free shipping and free exchanges if you need a different size. I bought direct due to more color choices than were in stock in the store (note: this is not a paid endorsement, or sponsored in any way).

So, if anyone is still looking, it's another brand to consider. Also, I normally wear large but I found that sizing down to medium gave me a better fit overall.

Comment

I was worried about this when I started riding more recently and just wound up going with a more "typical" looking helmet. Don't sweat it....just be safe. I tried to go with a couple of the "less athletic" looking helmets and hated the way they fit me. Went to a local bike shop and tried a bunch on, wound up going with exactly the type of helmet I didn't think I wanted. It was low profile, light weight, and super safe. Just protect your dome......looks be damned.

Comment

Originally posted by the passenger View Post
          I was inspired by this thread to look into getting a new helmet. I have one that I bought back in the early aughts, and while it's perfectly serviceable, I was never thrilled by its looks. Plus, I have very sensitive skin and very little hair left up top, so I thought it would be good if I could find something with fewer holes, to cut down on the possibility of a noggin burn. These retro styled helmets were not around back then, or if they were they were confined to skateboarders. Now there's definite crossover.

I like the appearance of the helmets that were discussed here, like Nutcase. I happen to live only a couple of miles from an REI store, so I went over there to try on a few. I liked the Nutcase model, but they also had a brand that I don't think had been mentioned: Thousand. It turned out that one fit me the best, plus they seem to be socially and environmentally conscious. And aesthetically they were right on target: I like the small molded-in visor in front, the matte color options, and the tan straps. Free shipping and free exchanges if you need a different size. I bought direct due to more color choices than were in stock in the store (note: this is not a paid endorsement, or sponsored in any way).

So, if anyone is still looking, it's another brand to consider. Also, I normally wear large but I found that sizing down to medium gave me a better fit overall.
          Thousand, I tried them a couple years ago and they were all wrong for my head shape. Bike helmets are definitely something you want to replace periodically. One thing most people don't know is that a crash in one, even if it doesn't look damaged, can effect the protective abilities of the helmet during the next crash so they should be replaced once you've had a crash in one. I think as they age the may (given that they are mostly foam and plastic) lose some structural integrity. I usually replace mine every half decade or so whether I've had a crash or not. One other option to prevent noggin burn is to wear a lightweight cycling cap under your helmet.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X