Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike Helmet

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Bike Helmet

    I have begun riding to work and am looking for a bike helmet that won't make me look like an athlete (which I'm not). Any recommendations/reviews for any?

    #2
    You've got a couple of choices! A lot of commuters in my city wear a helmet like this Bern:
    https://www.bernhelmets.com/products...13190222905403

    Or this giro
    https://www.giro.com/p/quarter-bike-...500000002.html

    I used to bike to work (wonderful exercise!) I still ride my road bike for exercise every day (about 75 miles per week) and I'll say that the athletic looking helmets have a big advantage: air flow. All those holes allow air to pass through, keeping you from sweating (as much). Might be a game changer, depending on your morning routine.

    Consider the ANGi crash sensor:
    https://www.specialized.com/us/en/stories/angi

    You stick it on your helmet. If the sensor detects an impact or a change in acceleration (spinning, like the kind that causes concussions), it will tell your cell phone to text an emergency contact. The sensor is $50. Some Specialized brand helmets come with the sensor installed (they're great helmets, might not be the look you're going for).

    Comment


      #3
      If you don't look like an athlete I don't think your bike helmet is going to change that situation But, it's definitely a good idea to wear one. I got hit by a car two years ago this coming August riding to work. The woman in the car was coming north bound on the street on which I was riding South bound in the bike lane and made a left right into me - I don't know what she was looking at but it wasn't for oncoming traffic. She obviously didn't see me because as I saw her coming toward me and tried to brake in time to avoid entering her path she didn't slow down at all - she didn't hit the brake on her car until she made impact with me. I wound up landing on the hood of her car and distinctly remember the back of my head - or the helmet to be more precise - hitting her windshietd and thinking as that happened "thank God I have this helmet on my head" as it happened, which I left a huge spiderweb crack in her windshield before rolling off the hood onto the pavement. Somehow I managed to not be seriously injured thanks in part to the bike helmet. Bottom line is you might think you're a super safe rider but all it takes is one dumbass to stop paying attention for a second and you're dealing with the aftermath of a closed head injury. Wearing a helmet may seem dorky but it reduces your risk of brain damage when something like that happens. It's worth the tradeoff.

      Anyway another company that makes bike helmets that give off a less "serious bike racer" vibe is Nutcase https://nutcasehelmets.com/
      “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

      Comment


        #4
        Mark, it is true that I will not get mistaken for an athlete, I just don't want to look like more of a dork on a bike! I want to get a helmet for that reason. My trust in people is so low I look both ways at a roundabout!

        Thanks for the recommendations as well. I only have about a 1.5 mile commute and live in a small town, so I never get fast enough for a ton of airflow.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by historian View Post
          Mark, it is true that I will not get mistaken for an athlete, I just don't want to look like more of a dork on a bike! I want to get a helmet for that reason. My trust in people is so low I look both ways at a roundabout!

          Thanks for the recommendations as well. I only have about a 1.5 mile commute and live in a small town, so I never get fast enough for a ton of airflow.
          Yeah I get it...you don't want the type of helmet that a serious competitive cyclist would wear because you don't want to look like you're trying to look like a competitive cyclist. I have two helmets (one has been orphaned at my office for the past year, 3 months and counting) - one is a Specialized that has all the perforations for airflow and such. Then I have a Bern Brentwood that looks a lot less teched out. I bought the Bern because I happened to be in an REI and they were on steep discount, but on pure aesthetics I like the Nutcase helmets a lot and my next helmet may be from them. One thing I don't like about the Bern I have is that my Specialized has a "dial a fit" feature that snugs the headband inside the helmet onto your head. A lot - maybe all - of the Nutcase helmets have a similar feature but my Bern doesn't and I feel like it doesn't fit as well because of that.

          I tried a brand called Thousands too but the shape of their helmets is all wrong for my head so those are out for me. That is one thing to consider - different companies use different shapes so some may just not fit the shape of your head real well - they're sort of like shoes in that regard. The dial a fit feature really helps with that though.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

          Comment


            #6
            Another vote for Nutcase helmets. I have a hardcore mountain biking helmet and a nutcase for city / local riding….
            Mark

            Comment


              #7
              I would also check https://helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by 77Pat View Post
                This is great! I notice they rate the helmets with MIPS very highly. I only buy helmets with MIPS now, it's everywhere. It's a little flat spiderweb-looking thing that sits under the helmet, attached to it by gummy bands. If your helmet is hit by a glancing blow, the helmet is allowed to turn freely (a little) around the spiderwebby thing, absorbing some of the twisting motion, which helps prevent concussion.

                👍👍

                Comment


                  #9
                  Yeah. All my research has me pointing towards MIPS. That is a cool website for ratings. I might end up with the Specialized Align II or a nutcase, there are a couple of Bern ones I like as well. I was looking at Thousand, but they priced themselves out pretty fast.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by historian View Post
                    Yeah. All my research has me pointing towards MIPS. That is a cool website for ratings. I might end up with the Specialized Align II or a nutcase, there are a couple of Bern ones I like as well. I was looking at Thousand, but they priced themselves out pretty fast.
                    Also check for helmets on clearance. Not stylish, but I just bought this one https://www.steepandcheap.com/bell-z20-aero-mips-helmet

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I am very happy with my Kask Mojito helmet. Super comfortable, although it is not a MIPS helmet.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        My personal opinion... a helmet is a piece of critical safety gear, not a fashion accessory. Review safety/crash testing results, buy the safest one you can afford, and to hell with what it looks like.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Mr. Charles View Post
                          My personal opinion... a helmet is a piece of critical safety gear, not a fashion accessory. Review safety/crash testing results, buy the safest one you can afford, and to hell with what it looks like.
                          I tend to agree with this statement that appearance/style should be a secondary concern. I have no idea how the bike helmet I was wearing during my accident would have been safety rated (when I bought it Va Tech/IIHS weren't rating helmets) but I am pretty certain it saved me from some form of traumatic brain injury - maybe just a mild concussion but maybe much worse. That said, the IIHS/Va Tech ratings only cover a small fraction of helmets on the market right now. I think Nutcase has 4 or 5 different lines of helmets, some of which have MiPS but none of their helmets with MiPS have been rated yet. There are dozens of companies with hundreds of different models and only a very few have been safety rated to date. Hopefully that will change.

                          I also think another thing that would be useful is some kind of safety feature for car drivers that detects cyclists - drivers...you can see in their side windows as you pedal by and SO MANY are fiddling with cell phones while they drive (and I'm talking drivers in motion, not those stopped at a light). I mean, I drive. I'm not against driving. But I'm strenuously against distracted driving. If you're operating a vehicle that is capable of delivering lethal force if you make one mistake or oversight your duty is to PAY ATTENTION to guiding that vehicle safely.
                          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

                          Comment


                            #14
                            So, ended up getting an Align II. High safety rating for a low price. Looks more like a traditional bike helmet, but doesn't have the swoops that a more competition style has. Also, killer price for it's rating and I got it in a color that I like. We'll see how it fits.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by mark4 View Post

                              I also think another thing that would be useful is some kind of safety feature for car drivers that detects cyclists - drivers...you can see in their side windows as you pedal by and SO MANY are fiddling with cell phones while they drive (and I'm talking drivers in motion, not those stopped at a light). I mean, I drive. I'm not against driving. But I'm strenuously against distracted driving. If you're operating a vehicle that is capable of delivering lethal force if you make one mistake or oversight your duty is to PAY ATTENTION to guiding that vehicle safely.
                              Will be interesting to see as in unit screens are getting larger (small sample size, but probably should be looked into further) https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/a...een%20controls.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X