Princeton University

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

Yeah I'm curious too. Maybe one of the humanities as those are perceived as less "serious" than the hard sciences, or even the social "sciences" which I'm not sure qualify to be sciences and I say that as a guy who did Economics, which is thought of as the most scientific (because we embraced math early on). Although people in the humanities tend to take them seriously. I'm tempted to guess Leisure Studies. Yes that is a major on many college campuses and is not the joke the name implies. .

Originally posted by dancinginyourhead View Post
    I'm in English/Popular Culture Studies. So students sign up for my class thinking they're already experts and can just write about how awesome their favorite Marvel movie is.
    Actually, that sounds like some interesting study! I teach music. I studied classical music at a conservatory, but studying the changing and intersecting trends in popular music has been a great source of interest for me recently. I played Mozart and Shostakovich in school, but I'm teaching students to play Metallica and Hip Hop now. And they're surprised by how complex those things can be, just as I've been surprised how innovative the seemingly simplest songs can be.

Comment

Originally posted by dancinginyourhead View Post
      I'll second mark4, AndrewG, and Hemsprong, Mark99

The first few weeks, I would plan on wearing polo shirts, plain or simple-patterned t-shirts, chinos or chino shorts, and classic sneakers or boat shoes. Then you can figure it out from there once the weather becomes more comfortable.
      I could never bring myself to wear shorts to class--not undergrad, which I did late (in my mid-30's) and not to law school. I don't even like to wear them to eat in a restaurant.

I didn't go to an Ivy--I went to law school at UCLA--and in the LA casual environment, even 25 years ago, lots of students wore shorts to class. Even pajamas. Not kidding.

To the OP: I've had close relative who lived in Princeton and I visited there as recently as four years ago. From what I remember, based on your post, it sounds like you'll be much more dressed up than the typical student. That's not a bad thing--I'm almost always the most dressed up person most places I go--but make sure you feel comfortable being that 'stand out".
      WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

dancinginyourhead Psh. Everyone knows that if you sign up for your class you also have to write about the latest Fast and Furious move too

Comment

Originally posted by DocDave View Post
          dancinginyourhead Psh. Everyone knows that if you sign up for your class you also have to write about the latest Fast and Furious move too
          Don't forget Star Wars.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
          X