Dressing Differently With a Buzz Cut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dressing Differently With a Buzz Cut

Thinking about making the permanent move to a half-inch-or-so buzz cut. Anyone feel like certain clothing options look better or worse with shorter hair? Do the same rules all still apply or are folks with short haircuts conscious of that when deciding how to dress?

i haven't had a choice for the past 18 years. hasn't been an issue.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

I'd say the same rules apply. Stick with good fits/tailored clothes and I think you'll be fine.

Comment

Looks great with tailoring! Looks great with hats in the winter and summer.

Try a #1/2 on the sides too, and a 1/2" on the top, to see if you like it.

Bonus, you need to get it cut every 1-3 weeks to maintain it. If you are adventurous and want to cut it yourself, you get a lot of opportunities to practice real quick!

Comment

For hats, yes definitely. For everything else, I think it kind of depends. You're getting into the realm of subtle details, but I could see that if someone had some serious luscious locks, that buzzing them off might make their head look a lot smaller or narrower. Maybe that would make wide collars, lapels or shoulders look less proportionate. Or effect the overall presentation. Generally speaking, longer hair lends itself to a more rakish style, while short hair tends to be more conservative. So maybe a buzzcut would be slightly incongruous with a bold outfit. Maybe. I don't know. Really picking nits here. I say do it and if you hate it, the hair will always grow back.

Comment

I think the same rules apply for most things. I guess some of the more out there hippie era looks might demand longer locks so if you want to dress like a Deadhead from 1970 you might not look quite right. But...do you really want to dress like a Deadhead? The men wearing long hair trend blead into the disco era so a lot of those styles also might not look right with a buzz cut, but...do you really want to dress like the Bee Gees? That said, Brad Pitt's style in Fight Club was very '70s inspired and if memory serves he had a buzz cut in that movie and looked pretty badass so it can be pulled off.

I've had buzz cuts a couple times but don't like them on me very much - my head just isn't the right shape and my generously proportioned ears look at least a little smaller if my hair is longer than buzz cut length. That said, on the right head it's a good look.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

This is a really cool look and you can have well fitted tailored clothes and casual clothes as well.

Comment

Working...
              X