Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

POLL: I would like to look like at least one person in this week's #PTOMan Highlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: I would like to look like at least one person in this week's #PTOMan Highlights

Every week I wonder about this.

https://putthison.com/ptoman-highlights-155/
    True (explain below)
    40.00%
    False
    60.00%

True this week, the guy with a tie, with a strong caveat.

I follow PTO as well but I can’t stand the “inspiration” photos. There’s one decent look here IMO, and it’s like this every 10 times or so. The other 9/10 are complete duds IMO. Baggy and cropped high rise pants, hipster facial hair, sockless with loafers, a hat that contrasts too much with the formality of the rest of the outfit, and $1,000 jackets or $200 T-shirts. When all done together, which seems to happen too frequently to me, it’s just too much like a costume or screams trying too hard.

Comment

True. There is usually one look that I think "hmm, that's not bad. I wonder if I could pull it off". But yes. For the VAST majority of the looks I am not certain who is putting them together. Especially with the work from home pandemic. A lot of the looks on PTO would be out of sorts where I live. The looks seems more inline with how I imagine people dress over in Europe.

Comment

Each week, I'm 50/50 on these looks. What throws me is that they're often at home, and I can't imagine dressing like that at home.

I would like to look like the second photo. I am actively looking for a good quality sweater polo like the guy in the second shot. I would wear it with trousers to work on Friday in the spring/summer, or to a restaurant in the same months. I wouldn't wear it with black trousers like the photo, the only black ones I own match a dinner jacket.

Most of the time, my "yes" votes are with the caveat "but with normal length pants" or "not to work" or "with a JCrew/Goodthreads/Goodfellow version of that shirt." Definitely worth a look IMO.

Comment

#menswear: trying too hard since at least 2006

More seriously: I appreciate Put This On and I've been reading it for a very long time. However, a lot of the advice and suggestions they give are for men who are committed to a very specific style of dressing and a level of formality that many people don't connect with, especially now. Speaking only for myself, even at the height of the men's style blogs-associated menswear moment (which I'm going to say was roughly 2008-2012), this way of dressing was not relevant to my daily life, and here in 2021 it seems kind of archaic. I like getting dressed up, but for me there has always been a significant difference between the level of care I put into my daily choices of outfits and dressing for special occasions. My life never warranted wearing a sport coat, dress shirt, and dress trousers to my workplace every day. Some people do it because they want to, and I think that's great, but from there it's very easy to reach the trying-too-hard point—which is how I feel every time I look at the #PTOMan shots, even the ones featuring casual looks.

Comment

I like a lot of the looks they post to PTOman but this week...the guy in the sweater polo is OK except I wouldn't tuck it in. The dude in the tan sport coat looks pretty good. The guy in the chore coat might look OK but...there are certain trends I've never embraced over the years...in the '80s I never wore multiple polos with the collars popped, in the '90s I never wore anything remotely approaching the trends in the hip hop community of the time, and I never had a Vince Vaughn/Jon Favreau in Swingers "bowling shirt". In the 2000s I did not own a pair of skinny jeans, or loose fit jeans. That's a long way to getting to my point, which is, that guy looks ok except the cropped "capri pants for men" look can DIAF. I think that's one of those trends I will steer clear of. I really like the blue DB jacket the last guy is wearing but he's got the wrong pants on IMO. So, the pickin's are slim this week.
            “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I like reading PTO and the sister/brother site Die, Workwear. Both websites give good background on dressing/style, etc. That said, I do agree with the passenger that PTO is writing for a dwindling audience. PTO seems to cherish the days of yore a bit more our current work environment can sustain/support. Of course that doesn't mean the website isn't any good. To the contrary in fact. I sometimes find myself reading the site wishing I had the opportunity to dress/wear the clothes that they write about. But considering I rarely leave the house these days, I just don't know when that would happen.

Comment

I confess, I like the guy in the tobacco linen jacket. Hell yeah, I'd wear that to church or the office; that's a smart getup. I could mostly recreate that outfit out of my wardrobe, except the jacket. And what a splendid jacket; the wide lapels and high gorge are right in my wheelhouse. I'd prefer a blue or green instead of mid-brown, though.

The rest of the outfits, eh, not so much. I never understood the appeal of chore coats. I mean, I'm sure they're great for putzing around your urban patio garden, but look a little out of place in public. Like berets, maybe. Or camera vests. And double-breasted jacket guy? Lordy! I give him props for being bold, but I'm afraid whatever vibe he was going for didn't stick the landing. He probably got a lot of "likes", though.

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
                  The rest of the outfits, eh, not so much. I never understood the appeal of chore coats. I mean, I'm sure they're great for putzing around your urban patio garden, but look a little out of place in public. Like berets, maybe. Or camera vests.
                  Agreed 100%---I've always tried to like chore coats, and the times I've owned one, have gotten positive comments, but not for me. They get touted as a super versatile jacket, but I find they fit very few occasions. They're not warm, so I wouldn't wear them when it's cool out. They tend to be scratchy and stiff when new and while I can abide that in a pair of jeans, I hate that for my elbows and armpits. They're not very structured, so I find them hard to dress up; and again, not comfortable, so I find them hard to dress down. Might just be me but I'm taking a harrington or a light field coat over the chore coat every time.

Comment

I like chore coats OK but I'm reminded of an old PTO post - one of their bloggers lives in the DC area and he joked about buying a casual "light jacket" - could have been a chore coat - because he thought he'd use it all the time, only to find that he uses it only like two weeks in the spring and fall when it's transitioning between "too hot for any jacket" and "too cold for a light jacket".
                    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X