Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

East Coast Evening Jersey Shore Wedding--Wear this or That?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

East Coast Evening Jersey Shore Wedding--Wear this or That?

Okay, my cousin's daughter is getting married and we're headed back to the east coast to attend the wedding in the middle of July. Notwithstanding that this is a Jersey Shore Italian wedding, the venue appears to be pretty fancy. I don't think it's a coincidence that my cousin and his wife recently down-sized their huge house--I think they had to in order to pay for the thing.

So, the wedding starts at 5 p.m. To keep things Covid-safe, much of the wedding is going to be outside. Although the venue is right on the water, it's not on an actual sandy-beach type place. No dress code on the invitation or the website.

The venue's website features photos of men in suits, some with ties and some without ties.

I think there's no question that a suit is called for. I'm 99% sure a tux would be too much.

Question are:
    1) My suit options are: dark blue or gray or light gray or taupe? I have a few nice dark suits, the nicest of which is a navy blue window pane from Suit Supply--not their bottom of the line suit, but one of their more expensive ones. The only nice light color suit I have is a Brooks Brothers taupe suit. I also have a light gray Jos. A. Bank suit that I got on sale for next to nothing.

2) Tie or no tie? It seems like nobody wears ties anymore other than lawyers going to court, CEOs testifying to congress, and politicians.

3) Can I wear a pair of my shoes that pop? Walnut Strands or similar. Or just stick to something dark like a black, brown, or burgundy?

I'm leaning towards the navy blue window pane with no tie. But I'd like other opinions.

Also, the wedding is on my birthday. Would it be rude to say to everyone I talk with something like, "I don't know why they insisted on having this on my birthday. I think they are trying steal my thunder."

Okay, just joking on the birthday--I won't mention that. I asked my wife to not mention it either.

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

I agree, have like ten cocktails then demand the band play happy birthday to you!

As for the suit, I completely agree I'd lean toward the navy windowpane with no tie. Generally, I tend to prefer the lighter colored suits for a summer wedding, but since it's an evening wedding, I think the navy would work great.

To me, taupe is more of a business like shade, as opposed to a lighter khaki in cotton or linen, though it's hard to say without looking at that suit. Brooks Bros makes nice stuff, so I would imagine it's nice, but may be a bit uh...businessey?

I love a light gray suits for the summer as well, but breathability concerns me with the Jos. A. Bank discount suit. I have actually worn a Jos. A. Bank suit to a summer wedding, and ended up a sweaty mess until the sun went down. Ruined my entire night now that I'm thinking of it. Unless that suit is minimally lined, or has a bemberg or similar lining (unlikely), I'd be very leery of rolling the dice with it.

As for the tie/no tie situation. I agree, everyone it ditching the ties. As a guy with like 30 ties hanging in my closet, it bums me out, but it seems to be the way it's going. If it was in the spring or fall, I'd say it's a toss up, and a personal preference. But in July, outside, a tie would feel like someone slowly strangling you. If you're on the fence about the tie, you could always wear it, then take it off if it becomes a problem, assuming you have a safe place to store it.

Ultimately you want to look nice, blend in to an extent, and be comfortable so you have a good time. I think the suit supply would be perfect.

Finally, I'd probably skimp on the gift. Anyone who has an outdoor wedding in July deserves a toaster at best!

Have fun at the wedding, it will be nice going to a real life event again!

Comment

What to wear for a Jersey Shore wedding? The first thing that pops in my head has to be a "Shirt before the Shirt"! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St4gUmO-nQ0

Comment

Originally posted by CK83 View Post

To me, taupe is more of a business like shade, as opposed to a lighter khaki in cotton or linen, though it's hard to say without looking at that suit. Brooks Bros makes nice stuff, so I would imagine it's nice, but may be a bit uh...businessey?
        This suit is a very light color, BB doesn't sell it anymore, or I'd post a link. Plus, it's only half-lined, so it's definitely good for summer. And it's generally lighter in color than I would wear to go to court or to a night time event.

I do like most of your advice, but this:

Finally, I'd probably skimp on the gift. Anyone who has an outdoor wedding in July deserves a toaster at best!
        !
        I don't think I can do that. I checked out this venue and the cost starts at about $400 a person and goes up. I think that's nuts to spend that on a wedding--it's a freaking house down payment in most areas--but I still feel like I need to kick in something substantial.

Comment

Happy berfday. If ya have an extra day pop down to DC we'll do Bresca.
          https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Comment

Originally posted by armedferret View Post
            Happy berfday. If ya have an extra day pop down to DC we'll do Bresca.
            We already have plans to be in DC from July 12 through July 16. Would love to meet you in real life, if you're serious. Send me a private message and we'll work something out.

Comment

I think the navy window pain would work great in this situation. Its dark enough to be formal but the pattern will bring it down a notch. I would wear a tie though. At the very least you can take it off. When you get to the wedding take a look around and if you feel comfortable removing it then go ahead. Its easier to remove and put in your pocket or SO's purse than to show up without one and realize you're the one not wearing a tie. Have some fun with the shoes. I'm partial to burgundy. I've mentioned this several times in the last few weeks but I don't really like walnut with navy. I think it would look good with the gray but its just too much contrast against navy for me. Thats just my $0.02 though. Wear what you feel comfortable in. I mean that both figuratively and literally. I also agree CK about JAB suits and breathability. I've had my fair share of them as groomsmens suits. They look good but get really stuffy.

Comment

[QUOTE=mebejoseph;n433287]

This suit is a very light color, BB doesn't sell it anymore, or I'd post a link. Plus, it's only half-lined, so it's definitely good for summer. And it's generally lighter in color than I would wear to go to court or to a night time event.

In light of these details....I'm torn again! That sounds like a really nice suit. I don't think you can go wrong either way!

Oh, and definitely joking about skimping on the gift, this sounds like quite the event! And just to show my hypocrisy, my wife was dead set on having at least a portion of our wedding outside. So I finally agreed to have the after dinner part of the reception outside. It was set for Labor Day weekend in the Midwest (near St. Louis), thinking maybe fall temps would start to emerge. We were definitely wrong! Not only was it well over 100 degrees that day, but in the evening there were storms that moved in quick with tornado warnings! The band's equipment got wet and they couldn't play, so we ended up being stuck with an iPhone DJ Open bar came in handy to say the least!

Comment

Working...
                X