Suspenders and wool trousers in 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspenders and wool trousers in 2021

I've rediscovered the collection of button attached suspenders that was part of my professional attire 30 years ago. They are in excellent shape but unfortunately my wool trousers from that era has shrunken significantly . FWIW I prefer wearing suspenders with moderately high rise traditional and tailored fit light to mid weight wool trousers. I have some nice cotton chinos but wear them infrequently and with belts.

I recently purchased several new pairs of nice quality wool trousers and had a local tailor add suspender buttons. Both pairs of trousers were of the "comfort stretch/expandable" waistband variety which seems to currently dominate the retail men's fashion market. I don't know if it's only me but my button on suspenders and comfort stretch waist band trousers don't work well together. I find the stretch waist bands tend to roll outward significantly where the suspender buttons are attached which just looks sloppy. Also the combination does not secure the trousers in position as the stretching allows them to shift much more than I prefer. I find myself constantly readjusting my waistband to compensate.

In looking at some of the shops I used to rely on to fill out my professional wardrobe with well made, reasonable priced suits and separates (Saks, Bloomingdale's, Macy's, Brooks Bros., etc) I find the stretch waistband is darn near ubiquitous. Other that going bespoke can anyone suggest reasonable priced designers who produce classic fit, high rise, wool trousers with traditional non-super stretchy waist bands?

Regards,
    mLee

No experience, but I'd consider looking at Dapper Classics https://putthison.com/flyin-the-flan...nnel-trousers/

Comment

Man, I hate when my favorite old garments shrink. Seems to be happening more as I get older.

Count me among the suspender cognoscenti. I agree that suspenders work best with higher rise pants. I personally don't mind the stretchy waistbands and actually it helps me with higher rise pants since I tend to lose and gain weight frequently. I prefer to keep suspenders and high rise trousers hidden safely away under a jacket, so a little frumpiness in the waistband doesn't bother me too much.

I'm sorry that you're finding the OTR suit options not to your liking. Unfortunately, that seems to be the way of things. The major retailers follow what's "on trend" and if that doesn't work for you, options are limited. (I had three-button, low gorge, padded shoulders, ventless jacket suit in the 90's. Eegads! ) One option is if you like the traditional "Ivy Style" sack suit, there's always J.Press and O'Connells to consider. I don't have much personal experience with either retailer, but I highly doubt they do trendy things like stretch waistbands. The downside is, of course, sack suits aren't always flattering to many men and evoke a very particular East Coast sensibility you may or may not wish to convey. The other option is MTM, which is increasingly affordable and available, albeit with a little extra effort. Most MTM brands that I am familiar with will give you the option for higher rise and preferred waistband (and everything else - pleats, cuffs, tabs, etc). For online options, I know that this site has been a proponent of Black Lapel and Spier and Mackey, both of whom offer MTM suits in the $500ish range. I have had a good experience with Enzo Custom at their showroom in Washington DC. I know they have a location in NY, and maybe a few other larger cities. To me, it was the best of both worlds to get a professional measurement and essentially online MTM prices. I see that Indochino now has showroom locations in major cities, though Indochino has something of a mixed reputation. If you don't have any of those retailers near you and prefer a professional measurement, Mens Wearhouse offers Joesph Abboud MTM suits that apparently decent. For that matter, many local tailors carry MTM lines for reasonable prices if you look around a little.

Comment

It will probably be difficult to find wool trousers during the summer, if you hold out until fall you’d fare better.

don’t know how affordable my recs are but they’re in line with the stores you listed. Ralph Lauren, Sid mashburn, billy Reid, or suit supply should have proper wool pants for you.

Comment

Originally posted by whereismurder View Post
          It will probably be difficult to find wool trousers during the summer, if you hold out until fall you’d fare better.

don’t know how affordable my recs are but they’re in line with the stores you listed. Ralph Lauren, Sid mashburn, billy Reid, or suit supply should have proper wool pants for you.
          That might be true for heavyweight wools like tweed, flannel, and cavalry twill. But your standard medium-weight "Super" wools, gabardines, etc used in the vast a majority of suits are available year-round, no problem.

Comment

If you don't mind pre-owned, and a bit of a hunt....eBay is your friend. There are a ton of options in the lightly used market for mid to high rise trousers that are suspender ready. Most will come as part of a suit. I actually just sold my suspenders on the Bay, kind of regret it, but I was having the same issue as you, and only had one pair of pants that had the buttons.

Another creative, less traditional option is to find some pants you like, and just have the buttons sewed on. They go on the inside waistband so it's a super easy alteration. I am no tailor, but I could even do that one myself.

Also, if you wear a size 36, I have a vintage micro-houndstooth light gray Hickey Freeman suit complete with suspender ready trousers for sale

Comment

I never had any experience with any suspenders but you can search on Google and local classified sites for variety to explore.

Comment

Working...
              X