polo shirt alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
    I'm curious about guayberas, but am concerned that being a non-Hispanic white guy without a distinguished goatee, a guaybera may come off as a little too affected.
    I was just thinking about guayaberas too. If untucked is Ok, a "sport" shirt (full-button front) is the way to go. If it's triim and a natural texture but not wrinkled, it can look good.

The right polos can look great. May don't, but some can.

Comment

Business casual is a very broad range and could mean something very different from one culture to the next. But if your environment would find an untucked polo acceptable, why not a dress shirt that's designed to be worn untucked? BR makes some that are nice. I have a handful of UnTuckIt shirts that look good when I'm going casual and I'll pair them with nice pants or denim depending on the day. With the right shoes, I think it's a good casual look, myself.

Comment

I would probably rock the untucked OCBD and roll up my sleeves every day in your situation. Admittedly, I am obsessed with rolled sleeves. If I have a dappered no-no vice, its that. For some reason, I think untucked and long sleeves looks...odd. I will also say that a lot of people with "a little extra" think that untucked solves the problem or looks better. Ina. lot of circumstances you are just choosing from muffin top, as you put it, or untucked sloppy. Neither is ideal for most so I say do what makes you feel comfortable, but muffin is usually more professional than sloppy.

Comment

Hawaiian shirt guy? C'mon man! Can't I have a little fun?

I'm not anti Hawaiian shirt in the right circs but it didn't sound like you were all that comfortable with them at the office - they are basically a version of the camp collar shirt you ruled out for office wear in your initial post. I have done the "aloha Friday" occasionally in the summer in DC. In the old days it was fine in the dog days of summer when the town used to slow down in July and August because half the city was gone on vacation but it doesn't seem like things ever slow down like that around here anymore.
          “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

I'm not anti Hawaiian shirt in the right circs but it didn't sound like you were all that comfortable with them at the office - they are basically a version of the camp collar shirt you ruled out for office wear in your initial post. I have done the "aloha Friday" occasionally in the summer in DC. In the old days it was fine in the dog days of summer when the town used to slow down in July and August because half the city was gone on vacation but it doesn't seem like things ever slow down like that around here anymore.
            Oh no, I get it. I was kidding. You're totally right. I wouldn't wear an aloha shirt outside of a causal Friday/office BBQ type situation. Ahhh, office BBQs...I remember those...in the Before Times.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
              I would probably rock the untucked OCBD and roll up my sleeves every day in your situation. Admittedly, I am obsessed with rolled sleeves. If I have a dappered no-no vice, its that. For some reason, I think untucked and long sleeves looks...odd. I will also say that a lot of people with "a little extra" think that untucked solves the problem or looks better. Ina. lot of circumstances you are just choosing from muffin top, as you put it, or untucked sloppy. Neither is ideal for most so I say do what makes you feel comfortable, but muffin is usually more professional than sloppy.
              Mmm, muffin vs sloppy. Time to hit the situps and lay off the Friday donuts. While I'm working on that, I think untucked > muffin top in most situations. Its not that it solves the problem, its more that an untucked shirt doesn't draw as much attention to the midsection as a belt, so is usually more flattering. It smooths out the visual transition between top and bottom, like a suit jacket. A belt is a hard horizontal line that highlights the midsection. That's great if you got a slim waist and V-shape torso, but less desirable for we endomorphs. I agree that untucked needs rolled sleeves to look right.

Comment

Mmm, muffin vs sloppy. Time to hit the situps and lay off the Friday donuts. While I'm working on that, I think untucked > muffin top in most situations. Its not that it solves the problem, its more that an untucked shirt doesn't draw as much attention to the midsection as a belt, so is usually more flattering. It smooths out the visual transition between top and bottom, like a suit jacket. A belt is a hard horizontal line that highlights the midsection. That's great if you got a slim waist and V-shape torso, but less desirable for we endomorphs. I agree that untucked needs rolled sleeves to look right.
                I hear ya. I ned to hit the situps some myself lol. Like I said...go the route that makes you comfortable and the you like more.

Comment

High-quality v-necks would be an appropriate replacement. If you have a smart polo you like to wear tucked or with a sport coat, consider replacing it with a chambray or linen button up shirt. You will still have a relaxed air, but be sharp and presentable for appropriately dressy scenarios.

Comment

Working...
                  X