No announcement yet.

my journey towards dappered 10 years later, aging of the the 2011 dappered look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my journey towards dappered 10 years later, aging of the the 2011 dappered look

Back in 2012 i had started trying to find my office casual looks from lurking on this very forum, and looking through J Crew store frequently etc. I changed around my whole wardrobe from my previous uniform of black polo, black jeans and steel toed work boots that i had acquired through continued clothes ruining at an employer with a particularly dirty manufacturing area i went in frequently to work with my workers and document their builds After stopping my work time there, i decided I needed to start dressing lkike a young successful adult instead of some kind of goth construction foreman. I knew that I didn't want o look like some of my CollegeBRO type coworkers with their going out shirts, and [in retrospect frankly nice quality] black square toed Italian dress shoes. Whatever I could do to not be part of that bro tribe of theirs, i wanted in. Around this time, in 2012 bought my first Allen Edmonds. (which i have since recrafted and wear weekly). I kept going from there, and really soaked up the 2014 dappered look pretty hard.

Current day, I am maybe about the same style I was back in 2012. I may lean a little more trad than modern, with wingrtips, and starched button down collars. But mostly I still lead with my good taste in quality shoes, and put the rest of my outfit together from there. I am still wearing my slim 100% cotton khahki's like 2016's war of ALL PANTS ARE NOW STRETCH PANTS revolution never happened. Mostly I am the spitting image of what I learned about what i wanted to wear back in 2012 from here, j crew and other places i found with acceptable sorts of fashion advice i found.

In that year 2012 i looked at my tacky bro co-workers with distain. I felt like they had bad fashion sense, and looked gawdy. Back 10 years ago from now, i started revamping my fashion with the new fashion i seemed to be into. Ultimately now in 2021 i'm about as old on the current fashion as these square toe bro dudes were back in 2011 with their 2002-2004 fashion.

So do like, young 28 year old kids at work in joggers and a dnim jacket of some sort look at me and other dappered posters and lament the ugly smart-casual trend of the 2012s or am I just imagining that being a thing? ? I don't have any idea what kids these days wear, i haven't been paying attention. If i looked as bad as those brodudes in square toe shoes back in 2004 i would be able to realize it right???

My other question is can I be self aware enough to evaluate how my fashion from 2012 has even aged in the current day? I think i'm too far sucked in and vested in it to be able to see out of it at all. I'd just look at myself and think YES THOSE suede Chukkas/ae daptons and dark blue selvedge jeans look sharp! great outfit evan. 'try pairing it with a wool pea coat when winter comes' i would also tell myself.

You’re overthinking it bruv.
    If you just copied the look and didn’t develop your own style you might be right. Though it’s all pretty timeless.
    The motto of the site stands, style is forever. Look at guys like Keanu reeves whos worn the same uniform through 4 decades, and still look good.
    There’s definitely stuff the youths wear now which I don’t understand. I’m usually pretty horrified reading recommendations on gq or esquire.
    They might be looking at us with a side eye, but fuck em. We’re right. They’ll look back horrified at themselves in ten years.

Comment

I think I found this site around 2012. There’s been a lot of trial and error, even with what’s promoted through this site, but I feel pretty similar to yourself in many ways.

My dress shoe wardrobe has been set for awhile now. I do not own black shoes as I just don’t wear them. I wear dark brown AE captoes in lieu of black when the situation calls for them. I don’t attend any sort of events requiring black shoes.

For pants, I’m not necessarily anti-stretch or performance pants, just my 100 percent cotton ones are still going strong. I almost exclusively wear tan chinos or gray wool pants. I don’t wear jeans after having a stint of liking my Levi 501s. With small children, I find jeans more restrictive and warmer wearing than chinos, both of which don’t work for me carrying around small human heaters.

Tan dog who sheds year round = a reduction in the amount of dark clothing I own and a further increase in grays, light blues, and browns to help hide the inevitable hairs that stick.

It’s like the core wardrobe never changes, from yours starting in 2011 or mine in 2012. Once that’s built, it’s more or less constant tinkering around the edges only.

Comment

You will hardly ever go wrong if you stick with clothing that tends towards the classics. That said, I do believe that one needs to update/adjust things as styles change. I loved some of the boxy looser fitting suits from the early 2000's, and while I never went to extremes, eventually I needed to update to the more trim fitting styles we have now. Again--I'm not going extreme--more of an adjustment than a change.

I don't think anyone can argue that things are headed to a more casual place now. Maybe consider occasionally wearing a polo or henley instead of a button down?

As far as wingtips--I ain't never giving those up--but I also throw some penny loafers, chukkas, and Chelsea boots in as well.

Some things about the way the 20 and 30 something dress now:

1) They often dress like that because they don't know better, not because they think everyone should dress that way. They are like older guys who wear cargo shorts, baseball hats, and flips flops. Do not emulate them.
        2) Dressing like they dress is likely to draw more negative attention--like, "why's that old guy dressed like he's 20?"
        3) I had another thing, but I forgot it.

In closing--enjoy what you wear and don't worry what kids think about you.

WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Comment

Sorry, I should add: I think profession and work environment play a huge role in shaping someone’s wardrobe. Using your example of a 28 year old, a 28 year old lawyer at a large conservative firm, a 28 year old construction worker, and a 28 year old software programmer are not only going to dress differently during the work day, I’d also imagine their off duty appearances and clothing selections will vary.

For someone who never needs to wear a collared shirt for work, wearing a polo may actually seem pretty dressed up compared to what they wear and see. For others, it may be the most casual thing they’d wear out of the house.

Comment

A few years ago when I started reading this website, I read one page that said "at the end of the day, it's just getting dressed," and you'd have to get dressed some way or another whatever clothes you put on. But,
            1) some things are aesthetically pleasing, and it's ok to say those suede chukkas and jeans look good because you think they look good. (I think they look good too)
            2) you also dress "well" for subjective reasons, to signal to other people that you belong to a certain group. Like at work, I might wear a sport coat to signal "I'm someone who takes my work product seriously." To use Marc99's example, the 28 year old lawyer might wear a dark suit to signal "I'm someone who values the clean-cut nature of the law." The construction worker might wear beat up boots to signal "I'm here to work hard." Working as a builder, you notice that some people wear fancy Timberlands or hi tops instead, but you don't take them as seriously.
            I'm lucky to work some place where my 1) and 2) coincide

Comment

Definitely agree with the sentiment, don't overthink it, I guarantee you're one of the best dressed guys at the office.

Just for fun I reached back to Dappered 2012:

https://dappered.com/2012/07/dappered-all-stars-2012/

I would literally wear all of those things still today.

The Dappered mantra "Fashion is temporary and expensive, style is timeless and affordable" still rings true. I have noticed some comments on the forum insinuating or downright stating the site is drifting toward stale/repetitive, but I think it's just a function of the purpose of the site. The goal of the site is not to sell sh!t, it's to help people dress stylishly and affordably. And because of this, sure it might be a bit repetitive. But if you want fashion forward, there's other sights and magazines for that.

Kudos to this site for staying true to the mission! Also, man I miss the comment section from back in 2012!

Comment

Let me join the chorus and say you're fine. The "ugly smart casual trend", as you put it, was typified by frumpy polo shirts, hipster-tight chinos, and whatever terrible shoes people get on sale at DSW. I'd like to think a "Dappered" smart casual is better than that. I liked your last question. Its good to be introspective. To step outside of yourself and ask "am I doing the right thing?". Not just for dressing, but for everything. Avoid getting stuck in a rut, all that good stuff. I think that the bottom line is that if you still like what you're wearing and you're still like how you're presenting yourself to the public and to your "tribe" (to borrow an overused term), then you're still on the right track. If your clothes give you confidence, you're on the right track. You can either embrace a 2012 look that might be a little dated in a fashion sense as your personal style or try to update your look to what's currently "on trend".

Comment

You're probably fine. Honestly men's classic style in the US does not change all that much...chinos, jeans, polos, OCBD/flannel/denim/chambray/twill casual button up shirts, wool sweaters, then heading more formal sport coats in tweed, navy worsted, and suits...these things have been pretty much in style most of my life. I say "most" because I was alive during the '70s and there was some weird stuff going on then but other than bell bottom pants and super wide lapels - and widespread collared shirts to go with them, the same general outfits applied. Mostly anyway. The 70s are actually an era that proves the rule...Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman mostly stuck to the classic basics with some nods towards the trends of the era (mostly larger collars on shirts and some flared pants) and their looks from that era are still style touchstones (e.g. Redford in Three Days of the Condor). John Travolta in Saturday Night Fever went whole hog '70s trendy and that looks ridiculous today.

As far as what some 20-something is going to think, well, who made them the arbiters of what is stylish? They're trendy, but anything super trendy will look dated in a few years. Thinking back to my time at that age I didn't have much of a clue then. I lived in a Patagonia Synchilla fleece and thought that was the pinnacle of outer-wear style. I would have looked much better in a pea coat or overcoat but you couldn't have told me that at the time. And as far as fashion crimes of that era went fleece was a misdemeanor.

Some 20 something might think you look a little old and stodgy but 20 year olds think everyone over the age of 30 is a totally out of date old has-been. They have very little sense of perspective yet. About 10 years ago I saw a guy in his late '60s dressed like a roughly college age hipster of that era and he was definitely on trend but it just looked like an old guy trying too hard to be too hip. Trying too hard to dress like the youth of today as you age is a recipe for looking for a guy who lacks the ability to acknowledge his age - like he's trying too hard to recapture lost youth - which the actual young will think is really lame.
                  “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

This weekend I learned about "cheugy", the Zoomer dig on Millennial culture. (Snarky little brats - the Gen Z apple didn't fall far from the Gen X tree, did it?) I still can't wrap my head around Millennials not being young anymore. But anyway, it made me think of this thread. Apparently skinny jeans are considered quite "cheugy" by today's youth. I don't know if they have pronounced judgement on suede chukkas, though.

Comment

A lot of very excellent feedback here. The one point I would add is that even in 2012, when the general style that this site espouses was more in the zeitgeist, it was not necessarily popular in the mass cultural sense. That's a pretty fine distinction, but I don't know if there are many more guys that would roll their eyes at you wearing a sportcoat in 2012 than in 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post
                        This weekend I learned about "cheugy", the Zoomer dig on Millennial culture. (Snarky little brats - the Gen Z apple didn't fall far from the Gen X tree, did it?) I still can't wrap my head around Millennials not being young anymore. But anyway, it made me think of this thread. Apparently skinny jeans are considered quite "cheugy" by today's youth. I don't know if they have pronounced judgement on suede chukkas, though.
                        As far as I can tell Zoomers are to a large extent mimicking Gen X style - maybe they think it's new - roomier cuts but mostly the fleece and hippy nostalgia tie-dye looks that were big among the mainstream upper middle class circa late '80s-mid '90s. I haven't seen anyone do the real counter culture stuff...for example, it's been forever since I've seen anyone go full on Punk Rock.
                        “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Comment

People are thinking about what you wear (and, come to think of it, everything else about you) far less than you think they are. That's not meant to be harsh; rather, it's meant to say that if you like your style, don't waste another second thinking about what the 28-year-olds think of you. Wear your non-stretch chinos with pride. And wingtips are proof that God (or Allah, Jehovah, L. Ron Hubbard, Jessica Alba, Robert Plant... whomever you choose to worship...or not) loves us and wants us to be happy.

Also, my 11-year-old called me a Boomer the other day. Her younger sister is now my sole heir.

Comment

Originally posted by mark4 View Post

As far as I can tell Zoomers are to a large extent mimicking Gen X style - maybe they think it's new - roomier cuts but mostly the fleece and hippy nostalgia tie-dye looks that were big among the mainstream upper middle class circa late '80s-mid '90s. I haven't seen anyone do the real counter culture stuff...for example, it's been forever since I've seen anyone go full on Punk Rock.
                            Dang, you’re right! I wonder when the Zoomer will “discover” wearing clothes backwards? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk

Comment

Originally posted by tankerjohn View Post

Dang, you’re right! I wonder when the Zoomer will “discover” wearing clothes backwards? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=010KyIQjkTk
                              LOL. That's one of those looks that can only be pulled off in a music video...I remember when MJ's Thriller video came out and everyone thought that leather jacket he wore was awesome then one of the guys I rode the bus to middle school with showed up at the bus stop in one and we all realized it's a look that just can't be pulled off IRL if you're not a pop star. Same thing with Don Johnson's Miami Vice look - seemed great on the TV screen but walking around the West side of Grand Rapids, MI looking like that? It wasn't going to work.

I don't want to be too hard on Gen Z - as a Gen Xer I'm fully aware we recycled many various style elements from previous generations, while thinking that the older people who grew up in those clothes were totally lame now.

Comment

Working...
                              X